Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Need help with my new monitor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My old monitor was starting to give me headaches whenever I looked at it (blurry text is not easy to read), so I picked up a Philips 220SW over the weekend. It's on my computer now - an older box, running Windows 2000 and using the onboard NVidia Vanta display chipset.

Any idea why I can't get the display to show widescreen? The best resolution I can get is 1280x1024; the monitor is rated for 1680x1050. (This means everything's stretched. At least it's in focus...) I've installed the driver that came with the monitor, and there isn't a newer one on the Philips website.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
A quick google suggests that the Vanta chipset... doesn't support widescreen.
If you previously -had- widescreen, then obviously this is incorrect.  But googling "nvidia vanta widescreen" returns a bunch of results, the top three of which all show problems with widescreen on the Vanta chipset.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

HoagieOfDoom

[REDACTED] Sofaspud beat me to it.
Joy.

So now I have to decide which card to pull to make room for a graphics card...

(Edit: Or upgrade my PC altogether. And, no, I didn't previously have widescreen.)
--
Rob Kelk

what are you running for CPU and memory? If you've got a Vanta chip, you're obviously not gaming, so one of the Shuttle minicompys from newegg might fit the bill, relatively cheaply.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
It's a NetVista G11 series, at least five years old (that's when I downloaded the manuals, at least), with a P4 and 1GB of memory.

And now that I've got the cover off, I realize that one of the cards already installed is a video card. (It's not on-board after all. D'oh!) Anybody have any suggestions for a video card that will fit inside an AGP slot in a small-form-factor case?

(And I play both games - Solitaire and Minesweeper. I can't match Miyuki Takara's best score, though.)
--
Rob Kelk

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...spx?Item=N82E16814139165

I like the review "does what it needs to do, output video to the screen"
Um....is that 100 seconds with 99 mines? I've done 99 in 121, 10 in 8.

As for the video card, I'd be looking at these, mainly for the DVI output which both improves the picture quality & the behaviour of windows. It amazes me when on an IT rollout job, we get told to use D-Sub for video and get annoying glitches & what not which go away after using the DVI ports instead.
ooh, I missed out on DVI.

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...spx?Item=N82E16814134076

I am constitutionally incapable of recommending ATI video.

DVI is also delicious when the card supports HDMI over it. one adapter later, my computer is convinced that my TV is a plug-and-play monitor doing 1920x1080@60hz.

works for me!
Quote:I am constitutionally incapable of recommending ATI video.
That's okay - the monitor doesn't support it. (I think.)

Thanks for the recommendations. Now to find either a mail drop in the states or a dealer who'll ship to Canada...

...Oh, wait - it looks like a local store has the first one you recommended. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk

NCIX has some better cards available, better as in being from the big name high end gaming video card producers. In fact I'd recomend the XFX's AGP offering. Mainly down to the fact I've had no trouble with their PCI & PCI-e cards, aside from trying to localy find a second 9800GTX+ (SLI I want's it back!!)

--Rod.H
The new card's in. (A GeForce FX 5200 - I don't need anything fancy.)

Wow, the text is sharp - I'm not getting any headaches trying to read it, even while wearing my distance glasses instead of my reading glasses. I should have upgraded years ago...

Thanks, all!
--
Rob Kelk