Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Always read the EULA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/29 ... ys_trojan/]Erotic trojan keelhauls Japanese pirates
Quote:Some Japanese aficionados of the "visual novel" who decided they'd really rather not pay to enjoy interactive erotic romp Cross Days ended up with their personal info splashed across the internet, TorrentFreak reports.

The creators of the trojan included a nice touch: the installer's conditions of service apparently warn victims they're about to be keelhauled, but since no one ever actually reads these, this detail failed to prevent the privacy bust.
I really can't think of anything to add...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
LOL!! That's hilarious. Really, that's the way software pirates ought to be dealt with.
Eh. I'd say the creators of this should be punched in the genitals until they pass out. And their website annihilated. But mostly both of those things.

-Morgan.
I do feel sorry for the people whose information was splashed on the internet, but by the same token, it's kinda self-inflicted, so it's also funny.

Then again, this is the sort of nasty trap that will lead one who sets it to a very, very cold afterlife...
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Installing pirated software is always a good way to get bit badly....
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

CattyNebulart

Quote:Installing pirated software is always a good way to get bit badly....

Considering the DRM solutions and the ways to resolve it I honestly can say that I expect better QA from crackers than from the store, which is really really sad. it should be so that pirated content would be the less safe alternative, sadly this is not the case...

That said I'm a big supporter of open source games, no hassles with drm or high sea adventures of the coast of Somalia. Just compilation issues because you don't have a Sun spark box to compile the code or something (rare, but it happens). For any conceivable genre there are plenty of options, but they can be very hard to find and usually there are just one or two good ones.

Take pysol for example, it's to solitaire/free cell/hearts/etc as linux is to windows (ie; pysol has hundreds of different solitaire games, much better undo/redo support, a sound server, etc, etc, but has no version of hearts because that's not a solitaire game.)

eh sorry for the offtopic rant. /goes back to my dark corner.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Rule of downloading software, any type of publicly shared software whether pirated or not, is also the first rule of not dying in FPS's: Don't be the first one through the door. (IE, watch forums and see if anyone whines about their computer dying to viruses. If nothing happens in a week then you're safe... maybe.).