Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Watercolor Fanart by "Ne-on"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gallery on Sankaku Complex (NSFW warning: it's on Sankaku Complex, but the images themselves are safe) http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/04/05/ne-on/

Forty different images (although #16 has been moved to before #1, and #39 is between #15 and #17). How many characters do you recognize?

(And should #40 be smiling like that? Makes me nervous for some reason...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Somebody really, really likes Touhou Project.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Very nice, even if only recognize about a third of the characters. If that.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Most of the characters are from ZUN's curtain fire shooter series the Touhou Project, which is itself a sprite-based top down shooter.  ZUN's rather abstract art and superb command of music has generated a fan community which has taken it upon itself to remix all his music many times over, create full on conventions dedicated just to his work, and reams and reams of fanart.
There was even an fan-made animated short recently that attracted professional voice talent as volanteers, such as Rie Tanaka and Kikuko Inoue.
It is sometimes VERY HARD to spot fan-created works, unless you're familiar with the series, because they are generally amazingly well done.  They often look professional.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
...are all the characters in that teenaged girls, or just the most popular ones?
-- Bob
---------
There are maybe three or four male characters in the series, and they are of paramount unimportance. Smile
--Sam
"Do you... have pants?"
Bob Schroeck Wrote:...are all the characters in that teenaged girls, or just the most popular ones?
ZUN isn't very good at drawing people, I think if he tried to make a lot of distinctive, male characters he'd probably run into problems.  As long as everyone is wearing some variation on a dress, or rarely shorts, he can work with patterns and accessories to create new characters.  And they're not all teenaged, characters like Yukari Yakumo (Demon of Boundaries) who are frighteningly old tend to portray themselves as grown women.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Quote:And they're not all teenaged, characters like Yukari Yakumo (Demon of Boundaries) who are frighteningly old tend to portray themselves as grown women.
Point taken. But I was just commenting on those I had seen as I've never played any of these games.
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Point taken. But I was just commenting on those I had seen as I've never played any of these games.
I understand completely.
(Largely, I tend to enjoy the music more, since the Worst Case Scenario from one of the Touhou games is the top image on TV Trope's Bullet Hell page.)
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

The Hunterminator

Berk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Point taken. But I was just commenting on those I had seen as I've never played any of these games.
I understand completely.
(Largely, I tend to enjoy the music more, since the Worst Case Scenario from one of the Touhou games is the top image on TV Trope's Bullet Hell page.)
I don't like that screenshot. It's litterally THE single hardest spellcard in the series and it's only seen at the end of a doubly optional boss. And yet, that picture has probably scared a lot of people away from the Touhou series.
Eh. I'd try to get there just to see it. I'm a total junkie for 'punishment' in that way just to see the epic player-deaths. One of my fondest memories was going nuts trying to avoid the Giant Fish from Hell in Super Mario 3 that resembled Gilbert Gotfried.

The Hunterminator

blackaeronaut Wrote:Eh. I'd try to get there just to see it. I'm a total junkie for 'punishment' in that way just to see the epic player-deaths. One of my fondest memories was going nuts trying to avoid the Giant Fish from Hell in Super Mario 3 that resembled Gilbert Gotfried.
Well, that's probably one of the bigger motivations people have for going against Yukari. (the boss featured in the screenshot)
But still, if you don't go mucking around in the optional stages, the game is tough but doable. For comparison purposes, here's a 'boss only' (the rest is ridiculously fast) replay of the last regular stage at the normal difficulty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYRMMpL65FY
And here's the second part of a replay of a fight against Yukari. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aunhv8JJcCU
Note that the player, at the end, succeeded just because he accumulated enough lives and bombs to cheese his way through.