Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Um OH&S gone mad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noticed during my deadtree reading of Jeremy Clarkson's collected Sunday Times (or is that Telegraph?) editorials he has a regular beef with OH&S types and Political Correctness commissionars and how they affect the filming of one of the greatest TV shows on the tubes: Top Gear; and his annual car review & other stuff video. I find myself agreeing with his views that most of it is just a way to both make a job for someone and to stop people from doing anything productive.

I certainly begin thinking down those lines when I get an email from Amazon sprewking stuff, especially when it's stuff that lets you setup a a basic cleanroom for a Quarian in your own home. Yes, I can see a point of it, set it up right and you can make as much dust as you want while you enlarge an in-use kitchen. But to mandate it just in case you disturb some lead-based paint.

Yes, lead is toxic but I'm more concerned about mercury & asbestos as one form of mercury will kill you and asbestos has a high probability of killing you in future which mercury can also do.

Yet neither of those has lead's infamy of being one of the causes for the fall of the Roman Empire.
... are you drunk?

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Sofaspud Wrote:... are you drunk?
Nope, more like sleep deprived. Or something along those lines.
Either way I do think that advertisement email from Amazon arrived when my Inner Clarkson had teamed up with Inner Politician and took over control of the keyboard.
Personally, I support both lead and asbestos in the walls. I think we should stop using lead and asbestos, and switch to _LIVE COUGARS_ for our insulating and painting needs, making the hazards of working with building materials much more apparent, even to the uneducated morons responsible for this sort of legislation.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Don't forget to lobby them to eliminate dihydrogen monoxide from home environments!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
And remember, Shipmates!  Optimal Manning works!
Fun with OSHA:

Did you know...

* ... plastic gasoline containers are OK at manufacturing sites, but not at construction sites?

* ... US Department of Transportation mandates Radiation Warning signs be black text on yellow, but OSHA mandates they be purple text on yellow?

* ... OSHA mandates that ATM keyboards on drive-through ATMs have braille text on them?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
yes, OSHA can be silly, but we all know what happens when you have no OSHA!! Smile
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.