Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Art Linkletter has died.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most of you are probably going "who", either because you're younger than me, not from the US, or both.  Early TV personality who grew famous partly for the "Kids Say The Darnedest Things" segment on his show House Party, where he'd gently quiz a group of kids and elicit all kinds of outrageous responses.  Anyway, this news surprised me because I hadn't realized he was still alive at all.
Obituary here.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Well, drat.
My family used to have two books of quotes from his program -- one of them was illustrated by Charles Schulz (yes, the Charles Schulz). My favorite anecdote was of the adorable little girl from a Catholic school who told Art a wildly inaccurate version of "Edom and Ave" getting kicked out of the garden of Eden (the nun who was her primary teacher was listening breathlessly). The child finished by stating that God sent the miscreants "both straight down to Hell. And then he turned them into Protestants!"
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
DH, I think my family had the same book with the Schulz illos -- at least I seem to remember one. Yellow book, actually called "Kids Say The Darnedest Things"?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The Wanderer

I know we had (and I think still have) a copy of "Kids Still Say the Darnedest Things", albeit missing its dust jacket, and I think we also used to have a copy of exactly the book you describe...
I don't remember the color of the cover, but yeah, that was the title. As for the second book we had, come to think of it, that wasn't of quotes from his show, but of answers the kids had put on tests, and was titled Kids Write the Darndest Things ("Granite is made in a hot place deep in the earth. I guess you know who makes it."). We may've also gotten our hands on the one The Wanderer mentioned, but I'm not sure ... this was something like thirty-five or forty years ago, after all.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.