Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Assistance requested
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, computer-almost-illiterate asking for help here.
Recently, as in roughly a week now, I've been having serious problems with something called Data Execution Prevention.  Basically, it's causing me real headaches when I try to navigate certain sites -- including this one.  The problem is particularly noticeable over at OneManga.com, where I can no longer use the handy drop-down menus to get from one page to another, non-consecutive page in a chapter, or to another chapter entirely.  When I try to do so, the computer gives me an error message that D.E.P. has closed Internet Explorer to protect my computer.  Then either the tab recovers to the page I was on, so I've accomplished nothing but waste time, or it asks me if I want to recover to that page, wasting even more time.  The only way to get from page 13 to page 7, or to page 27, is one page at a time.  To get to another chapter, say to confirm that the monster we see in chapter 222 is the same we saw in chapter 171, we have to go all the way out to the big chapter list first.
The definitions given for D.E.P., both in Windows Help and on Wikipedia, suggest it might be something that could be good to have -- except that it's screwing up my computer experience and on the way to giving me ulcers from sheer rage.  There's supposed to be a way I can adjust it to allow the functions I want, but I can't figure out, from the instructions provided, how to make it allow drop-down menus.  And as I said at the start, they were working fine until just a week or so ago.
Incidentally, this is my second try at posting this, because my first time, I decided to change the sig and D.E.P. promptly closed the draft post with the words:

Quote:A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage.
Before I try to post this time, I'm going to "Copy" the whole message so I don't have to reconstruct the clotting thing again.
Edit:  Please don't call me an idiot -- I already know that -- or tell me to get the CENSORED off your Internet.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Okay, first of all; I won't call you an idiot.
Second, I won't tell you to get off my internet.  As far as I can tell, it isn't actually mine, I just rent space on it.
More information is required to properly diagnose the problem.  Can you please provide the following.
The operating system you are running (XP/W2k/Vista/Win 7)
(PS - if it is Windows ME I may rescind the first statement above)
What version of Internet Explorer are you running?
I would highly recommend  getting off IE and going to Firefox for casual browsing; less heartache and fewer crashes.
Also, if it makes you feel any better (or worse, perhaps), DEP is not a function of Internet Explorer.  See here, http://en.wikipedia.org/w...cution_prevention.  I would specifically take a close read of the Compatibility section.
Basically, it sounds to me like you got tagged with a hidden extension in IE -- maybe you clicked Ok when you shouldn't have, maybe it did a stealth drive-by install, who knows?  But it really sounds like you've got some malware infecting IE, there.  Or that IE is itself corrupted, but this is far less likely.
As Rev suggested, try another browser.  If the problem continues, there might be an underlying OS problem.  If it goes away, then it's something specifically with IE.  And either way, update your AV and anti-malware software and let it do a thorough scan.
If you don't have antivirus and antimalware, you need to get some, stat.  I recommend either avast! (www.avast.com) or AVG (free.avg.com) for the first, and Spybot - Search and Destroy (www.safer-networking.org/en/) for the second.  Those are just my preferences, I'm sure others can and will speak up with theirs.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Try installing Mozilla or Google Chrome and see if you have the same problems with them.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Given the "add-on" part, you could also go into "Manage Add-ons", and see if there's anything that doesn't seem like it belongs, and disable them.

-Morgan. You damn kids! Get off my internets!
Morganni Wrote:Given the "add-on" part, you could also go into "Manage Add-ons", and see if there's anything that doesn't seem like it belongs, and disable them.
Or, if you're feeling paranoid, disable all the add-ons and re-enable only the ones that you need, when you need them...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
OK, first I want to thank everyone who suggested possible fixes.  Oh, and I'm currently running Vista and I.E. 8.
Second, a bit of background on my antivirus/antimalware:  I use Norton.  When I got the latest edition of Norton, it included what it called the "idle time" scan.  I'd been running a scheduled weekly full scan, but a note on the new edition's settings page told me if I did that, it'd turn off the idle time scan, meaning it wouldn't scan for problems anytime it had ten or fifteen minutes to spare, something like that.  So I tried relying on the new system. 
What I hadn't allowed for is that the folks at Norton apparently expected that I'd routinely leave my computer running at full power, not in Sleep mode (which I only recently found out how to activate, anyway), for three or four hours at a shot -- the time it needs to do a good full scan.  Ummm, no; if I had nothing to do on the computer for that long, I'd been shutting it down completely or, lately, putting it into Sleep.  The upshot was that when I set aside those three-plus hours yesterday afternoon/evening and ran the full scan, Norton found and quarantined 39 tracking cookies it hadn't detected before -- and now my D.E.P. problem seems to have gone away.  Just from an abundance of tracking cookies, apparently. 
So, now I'll be setting aside those three or four hours for a full scan one day a week, although I still can't schedule it automatically without turning off the idle time scan.
As far as changing browsers is concerned, I'm considering it, but in view of the disaster when I tried to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7*, I'm really leery of changing things I already don't know or understand very much about. 
At any rate, thank you all once again.

* The system locked itself into a loop in which it kept re-starting, declaring that the upgrade had failed and it'd reset to Vista, and then re-starting, declaring....  In the end, the only way I could find to break the loop was to do a system recovery, wiping all files and programs that hadn't been on the computer when I bought it in 2007.  The only thing that saved it from being a complete disaster was the backup on the external memory my sister got me for my birthday (at the same time she bought me Windows 7).  I was able to restore all of my files, and most of the programs. 
Note that I'd also created a backup on CDs -- but after the recovery, the computer refused to reload anything from the CD backup, because it didn't remember having ever done a backup, and thus wouldn't accept the information on the CDs as a valid backup.  Since my reason for creating a CD backup was in case I had to do a system recovery from it, I'm left wondering what the people at Microsoft were thinking to make that impossible.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Mozilla Vs. Internet Explorer is a lot simpler than Vista vs XP. Mozilla is just an application you install, there's no change to the underpinnings of windows.

Go download and install it, you'll end up with a new icon right alongside Internet Explorer, and it's just a seperate web browser.

Come to think of it, Mozilla will even import (it will not remove, it will copy) all your bookmarks from Internet Explorer during install.. it's quite nice, especially once you get Adblock!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
DHBir? Why did you attempt to upgrade? I understand 7 is built on Vista's kernel, but even so, it's far better to work with a clean install.
Wiredgeek Wrote:Mozilla Vs. Internet Explorer is a lot simpler than Vista vs XP. Mozilla is just an application you install, there's no change to the underpinnings of windows.

Go download and install it, you'll end up with a new icon right alongside Internet Explorer, and it's just a seperate web browser.

Come to think of it, Mozilla will even import (it will not remove, it will copy) all your bookmarks from Internet Explorer during install.. it's quite nice, especially once you get Adblock!
I will also note that a) it's more secure, and b) it makes no changes to the registry.
None at all. I can even install it on my locked-down work PC.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
no changes to the registry?

cool!

This is important knowledge.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies