Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: RIP James P. Hogan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I just learned that Hogan, the sf
author who had the greatest and most lasting influence on me as a
teenager, passed away July 12th at the age of 69.

He went seriously nuts in the last ten years or so of his life, turning
his back on the sound scientific principles he'd filled his prior work
with... but I choose to remember the sane Hogan, who with works such as Inherit
the Stars
and Code of the Lifemaker taught me to respect the
scientific method and be wary of cranks and scientific fraud.

I hope there's good psychiatric care on the Other Side, whatever it may
be. Farewell, Mr. Hogan, you'll be missed.
--Sam
"Last night I almost had a lucid moment."
I remember those series well.

I wonder if Negima will make some kind of mention of his passing in some subtle way.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
<Sigh><br>
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Stephen Mann

I re-read the Giants series every couple of years. I loved the quest to solve the mystery of the moon man and the series of reveals.
What I've read of his, which was only recently, was a gripping read kept me glued to me screen (read on a PC e-reader app), also got me thinking just how much of a hidden trope he covered/started.
In what seems to be an eerie accidental salute, the time transmitter Kevyn whipped up lately in Schlock Mercenary does approximately the same thing as the central device in Hogan's 1980 Thrice Upon a Time, which as it happens was the first thing of his I read.  It may've been intended as a shout-out, though certainly not as a funeral memorial, because the last chapter of the book ends with a message beginning, "Greetings from Wednesday, July 28, 2010, on behalf of His Majesty's Government."  I wonder now if something significant is going to come through Kevyn's machine on the 28th.
-----
Possibly not. It's not actually a time machine. It's been revealed today it was a Petey-phone and teraport cage, so...
Ah.  Just an odd coincidence, then, that what it supposedly did so closely resembles what Hogan's device did.
-----