Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Some Thunderbird help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could someone with more experience working with Mozilla Thunderbird give me a hand?  I can't send messages out through my Gmail account using Thunderbird.  Stuff gets downloaded into my inbox just fine, but when I try to send something I get this error message:
Quote:Send Message Error

Sending of message failed.
An Error occured sending mail: Unable to connect to SMTP server smtp.gmail.com via STARTTLS since it doesn't offer STARTTLS in EHLO response. Please verify that your Mail/News account settings are correct and try again.
Its been like this for a few weeks now, but I've gotten fed up with poking at it and trying to fix it myself.  I hadn't changed any of the settings from when it worked before, it just didn't work one day when I tried to send an email.  As far as I can tell, all of the settings are configured properly, as according to the online help thing for setting up Thunderbird 2 with Gmail.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
It's seems like Thunderbird installation might have corrupted itself somehow. You could always try reinstalling the application.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
I think you can export them. I'm not sure how tbh. I normally use the Opera client.
Edit to add: most popular answer suggest that outbound mail scanning by your virus scanner is the culprit.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Awesome! That did it. Thanks a ton. Don't know how I missed that help article myself. Thanks.
-----