Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Naomi Novik
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The funny thing about fanfic is that there is quite a bit of it that has made it into the canon of the very oldest stories we have in the English-speaking part of the world.

Arthurian Legend is filled to the brim with not only fanfic but fandom interpretations. Lancelot, for instance, is a French fanfic character.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Or Jesus for that matter.
Can we please not get religion involved in this?
The moment we get religion involved in this it's going to stop being a conversation about how fanfic works into traditional lit, and become a religious argument.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Berk, it isn't just the oldest English stories, King Arthur, Heracles, Moses, Buddha, Mohamed, Ramses (cross genre fan-fic), Gilgamesh or pretty much any other example from extant literature from the Enuma Elish onward. Fan Fiction is the catalyst that often takes reality and makes it into legend, myth or religion. A small, in some cases very small dollop of historical fact and then a whole bunch of after market modification by 'fans'. There was even Jesus Slash fiction (secret Mark) and the shark jumping 'young Jesus chronicles' The Infant Gospels, and the favorite villain redemption fan-fic (The Gospel of Judas where he is the best buddy and most trusted disciple) and of course the author insert fan-fic; pretty much all the non-pseudepigraphical Pauline letters.

How fan-fic works in 'traditional lit' is exactly how it works in the literature of myth, legend and religion.
Quote:Arthurian Legend is filled to the brim with not only fanfic but fandom interpretations. Lancelot, for instance, is a French fanfic character.
Quote:Or Jesus for that matter.
Jesus is an Arthurian Legend French fanfic character? (Well, I guess that would explain The Da Vinci Code...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Nothing explains The Da Vinci Code.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Rev Dark Wrote:Berk, it isn't just the oldest English stories, King Arthur, Heracles, Moses, Buddha, Mohamed, Ramses (cross genre fan-fic), Gilgamesh or pretty much any other example from extant literature from the Enuma Elish onward.
Yeah, I just have a gut, reflexive desire to avoid religious topics in general.  Or mention of them, so I went for the first (generally accepted to be) non-religious story that popped into my head.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Nothing explains The Da Vinci Code.
Oh. you can explain The Da Vinci Code.
You can't justify The Da Vinci Code.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Nothing explains The Da Vinci Code.
I blame the fluoride in the water and lead paint on Dan Brown's crib when he was a child. It's as good an excuse as any.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."