Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A new teaser trailer and full trailer for live-action Yamato movie!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The official website for the live-action film adaptation of the Space Battleship Yamato anime franchise has begun streaming a 34-second teaser trailer and a 100-second full trailer on Saturday. 37-year-old SMAP band member Takuya Kimura (Howl's Moving Castle's Howl) is headlining this film based on the 1974-1975 space opera anime classic, which was adapted as Star Blazers in English. The other cast members include Meisa Kuroki (Vexille - 2077 Isolation of Japan's Vexille, Crows Zero's Luca), Toshiro Yanagiba, and Tsutomu Yamazaki. Takashi Yamazaki, the director best known for Returner, Always: Sunset on Third Street, and last year's Ballad, is helming the project for a December 1 release. Aerosmith vocalist Steven Tyler wrote and sang the film's theme song, "Love Lives."
Teaser:
http://yamato-movie.net/movie_tokuho.htmlFull:http://yamato-movie.net/movie_yokoku.html
Yes - you read that right - STEVEN TYLER from Aerosmith. Bizarre concept for a Yamato film, eh? But it might work.
...Holy crap.
Just... holy crap.
Think we might see a "Star Blazers" theatrical release?
--Sam
"Searching for a distant star, heading off to Iskandar..."
Channeling BattleStar Galactica for win and awesome.

Also, it's not Yamato until the third bridge gets blown off.

My question is...when do we get the dubbed version?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
(Whoa. Weird assortment of fonts in this thread...)

And dear god I want to see this.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Baseload

O.O

I think I just wee'd myself a little.

And yeah, may seem odd, but the song seems to work well
Logan Darklighter Wrote:The official website for the live-action film adaptation of the Space Battleship Yamato anime franchise has begun streaming a 34-second teaser trailer and a 100-second full trailer on Saturday. 37-year-old SMAP band member Takuya Kimura (Howl's Moving Castle's Howl) is headlining this film based on the 1974-1975 space opera anime classic, which was adapted as Star Blazers in English. The other cast members include Meisa Kuroki (Vexille - 2077 Isolation of Japan's Vexille, Crows Zero's Luca), Toshiro Yanagiba, and Tsutomu Yamazaki. Takashi Yamazaki, the director best known for Returner, Always: Sunset on Third Street, and last year's Ballad, is helming the project for a December 1 release. Aerosmith vocalist Steven Tyler wrote and sang the film's theme song, "Love Lives."

Takuya Kimura and Steven Tyler? Is this space opera or rock opera?
Bob Schroeck Wrote:(Whoa. Weird assortment of fonts in this thread...)

Isn't there, though?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

dark seraph

okay, i've never seen the orignal anime (i know, i suck) but after watching that trailer.... i have the desire to buy as much of it as i can. then wait for the moive Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/user/starblazersqfi
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Ok. Commercial Releases as well as a full website and a metric buttload of information and background of the universe of the show (Both Japanese and American versions) of Uchu Senkan Yamato/Star Blazers are available at the official Star Blazers website
Mind you - the TV series episodes available here are ONLY the American dub. That being said - Star Blazers is still, to this day, considered one of the best dubs ever made. Season 1 & 2 are widely considered to be Woolsey-isms. The dubs actually made the series BETTER than the original to many fans. And yes, they changed the name of the ship from Yamato to Argo. BUT they didn't pretend that the ship was never the Yamato. In fact it's called that until the 3rd Episode when they add dialogue to Captain Avatar's (Okita) launching day speech where he announces the new name. And the name Argo is considered VERY appropriate for an initial mission which could be viewed as a quest very like the one in Jason and the Argonauts. When Star Blazers first came out, it was also only a couple of years after Star Wars. So you get names like Derek Wildstar and Mark Venture and Captain Avatar. Trust me though, it works well.
Be prepared for a bit of a shock if you watch the 3rd season though. At the time, they couldn't FIND the original voice actors that did the first 2 seasons. So they had to go with a completely new crew. Headed up by the late great Peter Fernandez. And it was dubbed about 6-7 years after the original. Weirdly, it was a STRAIGHT translation of the original Japanese show, where the first two seasons were edited and adapted more for American audiences.  But the 3rd season was NOT done this way. It's considered, as a result to be somewhat less than the sum of it's parts. Still worth viewing, especially since you get the follow-up in continuity to Desslok's Heel-face turn when the Argo/Yamato visits his new empire homeworld of Galman/Gamilon after some misunderstandings ((COUGH)) by his outer territory generals as honored guests.
Also to keep in mind. For those of you who are used to anime from the 90s forward, the artstyle and techniques in the early episodes may seem crude at times, even to the point of occasionally having hilarious animation errors. Remember - the first season of Yamato was produced in 1974! And the original series of movies and TV stopped being made in 1983!
The movies fared better, generally, in animation quality. Starting with Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato (Arrividerci Yamato to outside of Japan markets) FTSBY had incredible animation for 1978. And it was the first version of the Comet Empire story where they fight off the Comet Empire, but at the expense of sacrificing the ship and most of the main characters! 
Yamato/Star Blazers 2nd Season was a retelling of that story where most of the main characters (and the ship) survived intact.
(WARNING: DO NOT bother with the movie Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato available in the official site I linked above. I'd recommend almost anything else there, but NOT that! It was dubbed by yet ANOTHER separate dub team who - although well cast and apparently good actors, were saddled with one of THE. WORST. SCRIPTS. EVER. I mean seriously, it's brain gougingly BAD. ONLY buy this if you intend to do a Mystery Science Theater 3000 Party and you need a movie to force everyone to leave at the end of the night. It's the anime equivalent to Batman and Robin. I'm dead serious. It really is THAT BAD.)
Oh - that reminds me. Don't let your brain hurt too badly by rubber physics. There was some effort made to portray space in "realistic" terms (at least by Space Opera standards) in the first couple of seasons. (Though the Japanese made some errors. And the American script team took out some of those errors and added in new ones. Heh.) But the series and movies start playing pretty fast and loose with physics the further in you go. Keep telling yourself it's just a show, you should really just relax. Big Grin
Anyway. If you have any questions at all. Feel free to ask. I'm probably one the best informed fans out there on this show.
(I and a few other fan-consultants collectively were known as the "Iscandar Project" and were consulted by Bruce Lewis and Tim Eldred when they were doing the Star Blazers comic in the mid 90s. We were also known - jokingly - as the "Talmudic Scholars of Yamato."  How much info and detail did we know and research? Well we know where one of the heads(toilets) on the ship is for certain... No really! There's a drawing in one of the old Roman Albums and... nevermind... ^_^;;;
Bruce even officially gave one of the bridge crew a surname in my honor. Dashell Jordan, the gunnery officer, to be exact. See - some of the characters were ever known by one name. Dash, Eager, and Nova on the bridge crew of the Argo, never had other names actually mentioned in the dub of the show. When they were writing up the comic and the official information articles to go with it, Tim and Bruce wanted to give them last names. Considering the comic was put out by Voyager, the company that owns the rights to Star Blazers in the US, that's about as official as you can get! But then, I guess that's only fair, I'm the one who came up with the name Forrester for Nova, which also is now official.)
EDIT: I realize I'm doing a little bit of SMOF style bragging at the end there. Please forgive me for that. But how often do I even get to mention this stuff anymore?
BTW, I mentioned above the original voice actors for the first two seasons couldn't be found? It was because they went entirely uncredited. See - it was a non-union job. That's NOT to mean that it was "under-the-table" work. Just that they didn't get their names in the credits. There were records kept by the casting director. BUT - the company that originally did the contract work on the dub went out of business in the early 80s, and the casting director passed away! So by the time fans were beginning to seriously wonder about finding these people, the trail had gone cold.
Fast forward to the mid-90s and the advent of the internet. Here's an excerpt of an article called "Life in the Before Time" written by Walter Amos that describes some of what happened and how we fans felt about it. This was written about 11 years ago.
Quote:But for true old-time Star Blazers fans the biggest news has come thanks entirely to the growth of the Internet. As
I mentioned earlier, it was nearly impossible to find any information about the American actors who played the
voices in Star Blazers because few records were kept. The great dream of numerous Star Blazers fans of one day
locating these people, inviting them to a convention, and maybe even creating that fannish holy grail: a dub of
some of the later Yamato movies into English with the voices we knew and loved seemed an unattainable
fantasy. However it was probably inevitable that with the explosive growth of the Internet, some highly motivated
fans would create numerous Star Blazers web pages, and it was through one of these (specifically the superb
Wave Motion Web Page)
that the impossible happened. An e-mail was received about two years
ago saying basically "Hi! I loved your web page, which I was told
to check out by my brother who is on the Net, since I played Nova years
ago!"

Wowsers. Now you've gotta understand, after more than 15 years of hoping to locate any of these people with no
success at all, to suddenly have "Nova" basically walk up and announce herself is like, say, being Sir Galahad and
spending decades in search of the Holy Grail with no luck, and then one night to hear a knock on the door from a
fellow who says, "Hi there, I'm Joseph of Arimathea. Would you mind holding this cup for me?"

Being as excited as we were to find so much interest in her past work, Amy "Nova" Howard has been a guest at
several regional anime conventions, to the delight of all who have had the chance to meet this vivacious lady. And
better still, within just the past 8 months, with the help of Amy and further contact through the Wave Motion Web,
we have also located Ken "Derek Wildstar" Meseroll and Tom "Mark Venture" Tweedy, both of whom will be
making their first appearances in fandom at the upcoming Project A-Kon 10 convention. This amazing and totally
unbelievable development, coupled with the resurgence of Leiji Matsumoto mentioned above and just in time for
the 20th anniversary of Star Blazers, will make 1999 the most exciting time for
Yamato
fans since, well, since those glorious days in the early 80s
when anime was new and its American fandom didn't even exist. And
considering how far we have all come since those days in the "Before
Time", I think that means some really amazing
things are yet to come.
Given the source, and the quality of the SMOF'ing, I'll allow it in this case. Tongue
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children