Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Okay, you know Terry Pratchett was knighted...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...but did you know that he celebrated by forging a sword from meteoric iron for himself?

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Did his swordsmanship instructor give him a white lotus paisho piece when he was finished?
--------------
Epsilon

SCM Writer of 2814

How good is it a killing elves?
All jokes aside though, THAT IS AWESOME!
--------------------------------------
I am the LORD OF THE CRACK!
Check out said crack:
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814- Green Lantern Nanoha. To START! Now with a TvTropes page!
FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814- The Fifth Holy Grail War with Magical Girl Prisma Illya, in the DCAU, from the above story.
Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly- the world's first Dresden Files/TvTropes Crossover.
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke
... My already-high approval level for Terry Pratchett just went up a few more notches. Seriously, I want to mentor under this man.
The man is a genius.
Incidentally, I Shall Wear Midnight, the newest Discworld book, comes out in the US a week from today.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
I must admit that although I've heard of Terry Pratchett for many years, I have yet to get around to reading read any of his books. I intend to correct that oversight someday, by the way. But I already had a high opinion of him through fannish osmosis, so to speak. 

That he made his own freaking sword in order to be a "proper knight" is intensely cool. Many celebrities merely accept the title of "Sir" or "Dame" as just a title. 

Pratchett took his knighthood seriously. You have admire that kind of sincerity. 
Logan, I say unto you as a friend of long standing, run, do not walk, to your local bookstore and buy anything with his name on it.
-- Bob
---------
Keep in mind, the books won't all be in one place. A few will be in the young adult section, so be sure not to miss those.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
It's cool and all that he made his own freakin' sword, and I have no doubt that Pratchett-the-man is as awesome in person as a really... awesome... thing....
... but pick up one of his books at the library first.  Just in case.  'cause, really... I inherited a crapload of Pratchett stuff and was all jazzed and started reading it and... it sucks.
It sucks big time.
I'm obviously in the minority, but ye gods, I can't imagine what people are tripping over.
So... I'm just sayin'... check out the library before you go spending the cash.  Just in case.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
What book did you start with?
-----

dark seraph

as a Terry Pratchett fan of... ohhh, 10 years at least (heck, his stuff is what inspired me to write), I have to laugh at how awesome the man is to make his own sword. so he's just gained a few levels in bad ass.
but as to Spuds comment about not liking  his books... i sadly admit that amongst my collection of Discworld there are a few books that only got read once and put to one side. some are the early ones where he was still in the process of making the world and one or two are some of the later stuff, like "Monstrous Regiment"
but Logan, if you want a good one to start with, i sujest "Gaurds Gaurds", it's a pretty good read and is easy to get your hands on at a scond hand book store. Smile

There's also a very good BBC Radio adaptation of it floating around in p2pspace, if you want an audiobook version of it.
-- Bob
---------
I started off with Pyramids, and never looked back.
-----
My friends started me off on Guards Guards. The universe is well enough developed that it feels a little more real at that point. Most of what I've read to date centers on the actions of the Watch, which started in Guards Guards.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I started waaaay back when with The Light Fantastic, having foolishly ignored the library's copy of The Colour of Magic for years based on not liking its jacket blurbs.
Never missed a book since. Smile
--Sam
"THAT!  IS!!  NOT!!! MY!!! COW!!!!!"