Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A link to a joke for all the Programmers and Engineers on this forum.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Programming vs. Engineering vs. *Censored.

-----------------

http://www.principiaprogramatica.com/?p=34

----------------

*All mathematicians ignore this nothing to see here.

howard melton

God bless
<snort>
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
To which, I must reply with this.

Laugh while you can, my applied friend.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
We've got a good one at my work:

Programmers always need more time to do their work.

Engineers always need more money to do their work.

Physicists always need more processing power to do their work.

Mathemeticians always need more Graduate Students to do their work for them.
"Purity"

I like this one.

It made me think of a math professor from my college days. The mathematician liked to say in various ways that math might not be as important as mathematicians thought. Paraphrasing some of his sayings "Math is just a internally consistant set of rules that can be made to model parts of the universe and to believe otherwise was at best limiting yourself."

Ironically one of his friends was a Electrical Engineering professor infamous for his love of math and the sometimes obvious certainty he had that math had to be incredibly important to the universe possibly even the basic foundation of the universe.

I could see the EE professor posting a rather large version of the "purity" cartoon on his door and given the Math professors personality I'm sure he would post something along the lines of "There is no question that math is pure, the question is pure what?"

"More"

I've seen a variation of this joke dealing with Professors vs teachers, sadly I can't remember it other than the idea it tried to convey was that give a professor more and you got less, give a teacher more and you would get more until you had a professor. About the only other thing I remember was that it was popular among the graduate students and computer science teachers.

One joke I often saw posted in the college business department (when I was taking a couple of required economics courses.)

"Engineers are failed mathematicians."

"Programmers are failed engineers."

"Failed programmers are business majors and they make the money."

howard melton

God bless