Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: An anonymous letter to a Chinese Gold Farmer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there. Yes. You, there sitting in Beijing on the computer.

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!

I have to wonder - what were you thinking? That my World of Warcraft account, because it hadn't been
active for nearly a year was fair game? So sorry to dissapoint. NOT!

See, I may not have been active in the game, but I have friends who are. Friends who know me in "real
life" and know my phone number. And when they SAW you on my character, not responding, when they KNEW I didn't have the funds to spare to reactivate my account (because I told them), they knew to call me. And
I immediately logged into Blizzard's Battle.net account and changed the password and booted you off. Bet you were surprised!

So asshole. You wasted time and money hacking my account and what's the score? Here's the tally:

-- You either wasted a one-month referral or paid for one outright. Either way, your loss, my gain, cause now that free month to play is MINE!

-- You spent a hell of a lot of time mining and got my character's mining skill maxed out. Thanks! But now I get to do with it what I want. SUCK ON IT.

-- You added some top-end mining bags to my character. Which are now MINE.

-- Ah yes, you mined a LOT of Cobalt and Saronite ore. You filled one whole mining bag and part of another with the stuff. Well, I've now smelted all of it and it's on the market and -I- get the gold for it! It's now MINE.

-- You effectively leveled my character one whole entire level. I only had to do the barest smidge of work to put her over the top. Thanks for the boost! But that character is MINE.

-- You must've made some gold in that 8 hours. I don't remember having that much. But it's now MINE, and I now have a flying mount in Northrend because of that gold. Thanks!

-- You sold off a lot of my gear, but because there was only an 8 hour window of time to work with to track the records down, the GMs were able to completely and utterly restore every last bit of it.

-- You wasted about 8 hours of time, and GAVE me a full month of free game time. FOR NOTHING.

Oh, and the Gmail account you hacked? New password, and I'm combing my systems now to make sure I don't have any traces of your keylogging malware bullshit. No getting back that way!

I believe the technical term for this situation is TOTAL CURBSTOMP.

Karma, it's what's for breakfast, bitches!!
<Approving golf clapping>
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Sweet!  I'd get an authenticator on top of that, just to make sure.
So how are you liking the new rules and Cataclysm buildup?
--Sam
"You don't eat crackers in the bed of your destiny!"
Not the best I could find, But still appropriate.
EML: I'd love to, but right now I literally have to scrape every penny. But it's definitely on my "to do" list. As for the pre-cataclysm stuff? Interesting. I didn't realize that they were going to be doing plot build-ups and all. I should have thought they would though. Cause that's what they did prior to the last couple of expansions. Getting a little ominous with the occasional earth shaking. And I'm visiting some of the old areas in the game, taking one last look around and some screenshots before it all gets changed irrevocably.
As to the new rules. I'm kinda liking the changes to the talent trees, except for the fact that it forces you into slightly too tight a role. I'll use my level 72 Warrior Melita as an example. While I did prefer having her take the vast majority of her talents from either Arms or Protection - up to including the final, top end talent in each one - so that she was well focused in either DPS or Tanking (with the alternate builds) I did like being able to dip into the Fury section and grab a few odd talents that I thought rounded things out and complemented either. Now you can't do that until after level 70 I believe. I understand why they did it. I even approve, especially on lower end characters, but I think they should have lowered the level at which you can branch out to about, oh say 40 or so. Just my opinion.
Dartz: HA! Thanks man! That made me laugh. ^_^
Oh and one last thing - Google gmail alerted me to the hack on my email. And even gave me the specific IP address where it came from.
Here it is - in case anybody wants to follow up on this info:    222.247.100.25
I looked up the physical location and unless it's being spoofed, the source of this hack was from Beijing China, not 10 blocks from the Forbidden City. Latitude 39.9000, Longitude 116.4130.
Do gold farmers usually work from hacked accounts? I can see how it could be less expensive, and useful for working around game rules, but you would think that if they can get into Gmail there are more profitable scams they could run.
Or more likely the farmer is just the sad last link in a chain of cyber criminals keeping the better accounts and selling the less profitable ones.
On this subject, I am going to plug Cory Docotrow's latest novel, For the Win. It's also Creative Commons licensed, so you can download and read it for free with the author's blessing. (and then you can buy a copy for yourself, or for a library)
My battle.net account got hacked - defunct, not used in a year, and still they hacked it. Asshat used up my reactivation credit on WoW, got me banned (which I converted to an account freeze), and sent me into a spiral of account security paranoia that I still haven't quite recovered from.

I'd delete that account if I could.
Quote:Do gold farmers usually work from hacked accounts? I can see how it could be less expensive, and useful for working around game rules, but you would think that if they can get into Gmail there are more profitable scams they could run.

Depends on the game, I think. In FFXI that sort of thing was pretty much nonexistent for years. The odds of one succeeding in hacking an account that had development in useful areas was simply too low to be worth it, so it was much better to just buy an account and try to avoid notice. (Some might even argue that the influence of gold farmers in some periods of FFXI's development was actually beneficial...) But once SE began seriously cracking down on them (and kind of killed the economy) it started to become a lot more of an issue.

I don't think anyone has a real chance of figuring out my passwords for that game, but I like having the security token anyway, because it gives an item that's almost gamechanging.

-Morgan.
And the third phase of the Cata run-up has gone live this evening.  More cultist infiltration, plus a side-trip to Outland to hear Thrall being lectured on how real shammies don't wear plate. Smile
--Sam
"Is this a warm moment or should we be disturbed?"