Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: May is Zombie Awareness Month
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Are you wearing a gray ribbon?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
BRAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
http://articles.sfgate.co...-area-first-time-camping
This may not be the rapture he is expecting...
Once more an apocalyptic douche-canoe's schadenfreude laden dipshittery will result in what William Miller (another end-of-day arse-hat) called 'the great disappointment.)
One of Camping's billboards is on the way to Peggy's job. We've been making fun of it every morning, and counting down.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Let us know when the countdown gets to -1, please...

Back to the zombies - xkcd marks Zombie Awareness Month and makes a point at the same time.
--
Rob Kelk

So THAT's what those billboards were about. I was wondering.
Is it just me, or does Camping bear a startling resemblance to Julian Beck, who played the monster in "Poltergeist II"? As I recall, his character in that movie thought the world was ending too. Hopefully it won't end up the same way for Camping....
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Thesilentjackofalltrade

If the world turns to zombies on may 21st 2011, then I will eat my shoe...then my neighbors if I get infected.
We get to spawn the anti-christ! We get to spawn the anti-christ! We get to spawn the anti-christ!
...and no we're not filming it.

dark seraph

Zombies huh....

*pulls out his copy of the Zombie survival guide* lets see, Weapons, check.

Supplys, Check.

Escape Plan, Check.

Okay, already. Smile

So - here's a little mental exercise for you.

You are in a mall when the zombies attack. You have:

1. one weapon. (Can be ranged or melee)

2. one song blasting on the speakers. (Assume any method of playback you wish. Generic MP3 player. Ipod. Boombox you've set down. Maybe you set up in the electronics store and have it blaring on one of the display stereos, whatever.)

3. one famous person to fight alongside you. (Let's open it up to include fictional people. But they don't get any better equipment than you do. No giant robot pilots with their mecha!)

As for me - 

Okay - The relatively realistic approach. I'm still me. I am NOT good at
melee. But I have a steady hand and could be good fire support and/or
back-up for someone up who IS.

That said, let's not take any fucking chances! I want to HIT the target, FIRST time, EVERY TIME!

I think the following ought to just about guarantee THAT!

The WEAPON

The SONG:

The Famous Person:

JACKIE CHAN (in his prime, at least. He's a wee bit too old for this kind of stuff now.)

(And the video isn't even the best of the best of his stuff!
But it DOES showcase one of the best examples of using your environment
to your best advantage, which would be important in the "Zombies at the
Mall" scene!)

dark seraph

okay, let's have a go of this.
Weapon: Crowbar. (as shown by Gorden Freeman, the most epic weapon for beating down anything that messes with you.)
Music: Dragonforce: Through Fire and Flame (my fight will be epic, even if I die Tongue )
Famous Person: Jill Valentine from Resident Evil (the Games, not the moives.... and before the 5th game made her wimpy. )
should be a kick ass fight... even if Jill would be probaly the heavy hitter in it Tongue

I've probably got an awesome modern anti-zombie melee weapon in my toolbox: the FUBAR, all though I might be better off with the 30" version.
zombies at the mall?
define 'mall'. If we're talking about some hoity-toity palm springs playhouse for the rich and infected, blech.
Now if we're on Diamond avenue at the Sportsmans Warehouse mall.. MWUHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA.

the Weapon:Kimber Custom II .45 ACP
Lasergrips, natch. I own this. It's wonderful. The .45 ACP round, in hollowpoint, is a perfectly adequate headpopper in the close to medium range. I can personally carry over 100 rounds without significant weight problems. But if we're in the correct mall, I'll just have.. everything.
The Song:

Why?
Because nothing else is sufficient to sustain the required level of insanity.
The Sidekick:
My buddy John. 2 tours in the sandbox, and he successfully re-adapted to society. After coming back from that corrupt sandy hell, a Zombie Apocalypse ain't gonna be nothin'.
And he shoots .45 ACP too, so we can share ammo.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Weapon: Flamethrower
Song: Konya wa Hurricane, extended live version
Buddy: Doug Sangnoir

(Oh, come on, Logan, once you allowed fictional persons and threw a song into the mix did you expect I would choose anyone else?)
-- Bob
---------
I think Bob wins this one... so I'll go with a silly suggestion instead.

Weapon: Nerf pistol

Song: (All We Are Saying Is) Give Peace a Chance

Buddy... (hmmmm... what's silliest here? ah, yes): Herbert West
--
Rob Kelk

Weapon: While my favorite bastard sword is high on the list it is a messy weapon - so Lightsabre.
Soundtrack: Fuck You - Dean and the Weenies (Not safe for work... well not safe for anything really)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn4vkSH6Og8
Buddy: Dashboard Jesus  (In case I have to flee, he can't run as fast with stigamata holes in his feet.)
Quote:Buddy: Dashboard Jesus

-- Bob
---------
Hmm... If fictional weapons are allowed, I'd like to go with a variable sword, from Niven's Known Space future history. If not, I'd pick a SUV, or one of those armored bank vans if I could get one, as those are somewhat likely to be present at a mall.

For the song, maybe Vengeance, by The Protomen?

As for my buddy, I'd like Sosuke Sagara. He's just as dangerous without his mech as he is with it, if not more so. Either him or Shirou Emiya from Hill of Swords.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Well, if fictional is allowed...
Weapon: Star Wars Speeder Bike. Blaster, check. Fast, check. Capable of flight, check. Solid sides to hold of the hordes, che-- oops.
Music: Yakety Saxs, to make sure it's a comedic zombie outbreak and not a dire zombie outbreak.
Buddy: Justy Ueki Tylor, because he will be both fun to hang around and likely to get me out alive from even the most unlikely situations.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
LilFluff Wrote:Music: Yakety Saxs, to make sure it's a comedic zombie outbreak and not a dire zombie outbreak.
The only problem with that choice is that the outbreak becomes a massive chase scene...
--
Rob Kelk

Thesilentjackofalltrade

Ok, I think I will be a halo nerd here.
Weapon? Gravity Hammer, the Fist of Rukt. Why? It will give me armor, which might be able to allow me to use it and it can be over whelmed if I were to be completely surrounded, so I am not unkillable, just hard to kill.
Music? Breaking Benjamen, Blow me away. Why? It goes well with a fight, and it makes you WANT to win.
Ally? Kelly Spartan 087 (No armor, as that would be going against the spirit of the no mecha part of it. The only reason why she would have the armor is if its OK by the rules.)
Her weapon? A Battle Rifle. (Plese note that the battle rifle can be single shot, as seen at the end of halo 3.) Why? She is fast, and since she is a Spartan, she can get me and her out fast enough.
She would work distance, covering my back as I mow them down with the Fist of Rukt.
LilFluff Wrote:Music: Yakety Saxs, to make sure it's a comedic zombie outbreak and not a dire zombie outbreak.
The only problem with that choice is that the outbreak becomes a massive chase scene...
That really depends on who doing the chasing.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Jorlem Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:
That really depends on who doing the chasing.
And the answer to the following question:
Q: Would you rather be in the middle of a mall with who knows how many zombies in it, or part of a Yakety Saxs chase scene in a comedic zombie movie?
If you've got Yakety Saxs as a sound track, all of the sudden you've gone from horror to comedy. Or at worst a Comic-Horror movie. Throw in Mister Tylor and while bad things can happen (consider the kidnapped Admiral storyline from the beginning of Irresponsible Captain Tylor) you're most likely going to make it out alive.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

WengFook

Hmmm after thinking it over...
The Weapon: I'd choose the AA-12 automatic shotgun though ideally if fictional weapons were allowed I'd take the plasma cutter from Dead Space.
The Song: Probably one of the more soothing classical scores. Because classical scores in action movies confer bullet time during action scenes until all the enemies are down. Big Grin
The Companion: Any one of the Knights of the Cross from the Dresden Files, because why settle for less than an expert. Though come to think of it any of the heavy hitters from there are would be ok. Big Grin