Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: RIP Clarence Clemons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know how I missed this a couple of days ago. But all respect to Clarence Clemons. He leaves behind a legacy and a lot of great music.

Quote:Clarence Clemons was the unmistakable presence in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His sax style was a throwback to the hot sax sound passed down from Louis Jordan, Big Jay McNeely, Junior Walker, and King Curtis. In telling the story of the band in "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" (video below), Springsteen paid tribute to the day when "the Big Man joined the band." And he portrayed himself leaning on Clemons in the beautiful black-and-white cover of the seminal album that included the song.
Clemons died today at the age of 69, before his time, following the stroke he suffered last Sunday. Ben Sisario's New York Times obituary presents the essential facts. This account of the meeting between Springsteen and Clemons at once possesses the air of a tall tale and the ring of absolute truth:
Quote:Mr. Clemons's first encounter with Mr. Springsteen has become E Street Band lore. In most tellings, a lightning storm was rolling through Asbury Park one night in 1971 while Mr. Springsteen was playing a gig there. As Mr. Clemons entered the bar, the wind blew the door off its hinges, and Mr. Springsteen was startled by the towering shadow at the door. Then Mr. Clemons invited himself onstage to play along, and they clicked.
"I swear I will never forget that moment," Mr. Clemons later recalled in an interview. "I felt like I was supposed to be there. It was a magical moment. He looked at me, and I looked at him, and we fell in love. And that's still there."

Big Man, RIP

Yeah, I saw that on the weekend.
Add to it the March death of acclaimed virtuoso Eugene Fodor and there is just a little less Sax and Violins in the world today.
Which is too bad.
*Sniff* Ah. I'd heard them talking about it over the radio sunday but didnt really grok it till your further explaination.

At least we know there will be gloryious Sax awaiting us when we go to our final rewards now though.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I'd been meaning to post on this since Sunday, but since getting a job, life's just been so busy.

Another great one gone, who will be sorely missed.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.