Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Going to be away for a bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Starting this Saturday, I'm going to be away until the middleish so of July, on a family vacation.  I might be able to post sporadically, based on internet availability, but it's not going to be likely for the latter half of when I'll be gone.
On a related note, anyone have any ideas on how to kill a day in Vancouver, and one in Seattle?  I hear there's a Science Fiction museum in Seattle, but other than that...
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
The Vancouver Aquarium is well worth your hard earned.
Pike Street Market in Seatle. Also the Space Needle and the surrounding area. Make sure you get a chance to ride on the awesome art-deco monorail they have there.
Dunno about Vancouver, but I've been to Seattle a couple times. I never got around to the Space Needle or most the other tourist traps in the area (neither visit was conductive to having much recreation time), but as BA rec'd, the Pike Street Market is well worth your time.
Powell's Books in Seattle. http://www.powells.com/news_uw.html
1) Visit Granville Island.

2) There's a crepe place on Robson which is chock full of awesome. Visit it.
jpub Wrote:1) Visit Granville Island.
Okay - I am obviously playing too much City of Heroes, because I had to take a second look at that. I initially read that as "Grandville" and thinking - "No! Don't go there! Aieee!" ^_^
*Shrug* its not that bad, as long as you ignore Fangface's I luv me vid screens all over the place
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Thanks guys. I'll let you guys know where we end up going when I get back. I'm not the only one with a vote after all. I do think we'll end up most of the places you've suggested though, so thanks. Smile
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Hey everyone, I'm back.
Rev Dark, thanks for the suggestion about the aquarium in Vancouver.  That was great.  I saw Beluga whales, dolphins, sharks, and a bald eagle.  Apparently, aquariums do birds now too.  Who knew?
We also went to Granville Island, but it was around closing time so we didn't get to see too much, unfortunately.  What we did see was neat though, so thanks.
We missed the crepe place, unfortunately.  Sorry.
As for Seattle, we did go to the Space Needle, which was very cool.  There were a few exhibits scattered around, as next year is the fiftieth anniversary for the World's Fair that was held in 1962.  We also went to the EMP/SFM, which is a combination music and science fiction museum, and is right next to the Space Needle.  They had an exhibit on Nirvana right underneath a Battlestar Galactica exhibit, in a building designed by Frank Gehry.  T'was awesome.
We did go to the Pike Street Market, which probably would have been more fun if we hadn't been pulling our luggage at the time.  They had two used bookstores, almost next to each other, which was neat. 
The big highlight of Seattle was the Boeing Factory tour, which was amazing.  We got to see 787s being assembled.  Apparently, they are built in pieces in four different places, and then those pieces (I think it was split up into cockpit, tail, wings and fuselage) are flown to Seattle in special 747 freighters to be put together.  That was really cool to see.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Edit:
Oh, and the airplane flying into Vancouver had Flash Gordon as one of the viewing options  Big Grin  They only had episode 3, though, which I found a bit odd...
-----

Kurisu

Which version of Flash Gordon are you referring to?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...
Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe
-----