Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: So, I'm watching Eva again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been a while, and since I was scratching away at my fic, I thought I'd re-watch the series a little.

First, I'm sort of astounded by how old the animation actually looks. It really does look like it dates back to 1995. I can see the individual colours in the background, the different shades of paint they used, that sort of matte flatness that comes from paint on paper. It's exciting to see in a modern world of digital ink, evidence of actual human beings working on something. It's a very physical and visceral sensation, kind of like the light crackle of a needle touching a record for the first time. It's a human work, about characters who are human beings and not animé archetypes.

From a colourful OP that grabs your attention with a catchy pop-song, without falling into the trap of squeaky over-cute bubble-pop . The first episode sort of feels like a mix between a classic kaiju film with all the military getting swatted away by the big unstoppable monster , and then into Thunderbirds with the readying of Unit 01 for launch. Everything's very tight and controlled, while Rebuild goes the 'Ooh Shiny' route far more, the original series feels much tighter focusing on what's important.

I'm not really sure whether it's worth a full topic or not, but I forgot how fascinating this series is to actually watch. It still looks and feels so different. It's still so exciting to watch. And the dub ain't half bad. I'm just glad I saw down and watched it.

And Service! Service! Service!
Epsilon
I read it while it was ongoing, and even made a couple of posts in it. I actually got a couple of fic ideas from it, including a scene for the bit I'm working on. And listening to the commentary because it's kind of funny.
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Well I know I've a copy of Platnum around here somewhere, so I suppose I must watch it. Then again Eva 2.22 in blu-ray has probably spoiled me.