Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Is it just me or...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
has someone haxed Google so clicking on search results instead sends you to some "fibrosearch" commercial link-listings that gives you their paid advertisers for those terms instead of the actual page you clicked for?

Copying the green result URL and pasting it manually into a new window still works, but is annoying.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
It's just you. You have a virus that causes your browser to redirect.

This should fix it

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Malwarebytes didn't work for me when I had that virus (bit over a year ago).  I actually ended up completely trashing my computer trying to get rid of it.  Which I was fine with; I was planning on a new comp anyway...
CD, in the mean time, if you have a search bar in your browser, the virus doesn't interfere with the search results from using it.
Redirect viruses will often modify the hosts file located (usually) in C:WindowsSystem32driversetc
If you have additional entries in this file, it is likely because of viral activity.  Check the last modified date on it as well, as that is usually a dead giveaway that it have been compromised.
Indeed, still getting my results redirected, though now Malwarebites blocks actually going to the fake adress. It found some other stuff, though. So, what do I do about a bad Hosts file?

- CD

ETA: Having found said file, I note that it's no newer than the computer, so that's probably not it.
--
Change your DNS settings aswell. Also, just delete everything in your hosts file for the time being. Then install http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html this because it blocks a lot of the nasty stuff at hosts level.
Actually, it looks like Firefox has the problem, because (barf) M$ Exploder64 goes properly on to the results. I know what a M$ guy would say in this case, but it's bad enough I couldn't afford a real computer, I refuse to use that craptastic browser as well.

- CD
--
If you can stand Chrome, maybe?

It seems some future Linux distros will use Chrome instead of Firefox...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Hmmwell, perhaps I'll try it, but first I want to see if the "NoScript" firefoxx addon I just grabbed off the Mozilla site will fix it retroactively, as it claims to be able to prevent. I have a huge number of active tabs to clear before restarting the browser, though. If worse comes to worst, I can try deleting 'fox and putting in a clean install I suppose.

- CD

ETA: Success! Add me to the six million or so other happy downloaders of NoScript
--

CattyNebulart

yeah noscript rocks.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."