Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Technical Query: Seamonkey Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, most of you probably know already that I use Seamonkey, Mozilla's answer to the old Netscape suite, which rolled email, browser, web dev tools and a few other things all together into one package.  For some months now I've been using version 2.0.14 on both my desktop and Peggy's laptop (which runs Win XP), but last week at the beach house, while using the laptop, I got a notice that 2.2 had come out.  Not having had any problems with Seamonkey upgrades in the past, I okayed installing the new version and went on without a hitch after it was done.

So last night, I got the same notice after working the desktop machine for a while.  And because I'd had no problems with the laptop, I okayed it...  and when it was done, the trouble started.  I could not open any secondary windows beyond the first browser window.  Regardless of what it was -- new browser window, mail reader, preferences dialog, download progress dialog -- it all vanished as soon as it appeared on the screen, as if someone were clicking the "close" button as fast as the window could appear.  I could open new tabs without a problem, but I was forced to remain in a single window.

Long story short, I tried installing the 2.1 release (mostly by accident, because I hadn't noted what version I'd originally been using). That had the exact same problem. Eventually I had to use a system restore point to return the machine to where it had been on Saturday night, using 2.0.14.  So I'm back to proper function, but I'd really like to be using the latest version, if only for the security issues that the Seamonkey Project notes it fixes.  Does anyone know just what the hell it is I ran into, and how to get around it?  I'm running on Win7 Ultimate, but it's been updated and servicepacked and everything so it's the latest thing.  Any more detail on my system will have to wait until I get home and can dump specifics.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

CattyNebulart

I have seen similar issues before, and this might sound like a stupid question, but did you restart after the install?

If that didn't fix it I'm tapped out as far as windows help goes.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
I did several restarts in the course of my various installs, uninstalls and reinstalls.; no dice until I had rolled back and then reinstalled 2.0.14 on top of itself.

Guess it's time to get a Bugzilla account and let them know...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.