Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A different sort of technical issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.collectedcurios.com/sequentialart.php?s=541]This issue of Sequential Art, to be exact. I so, so, SO want this lawnmower. o/~ Never gonna rake da lawn again! Never gonna rake da law-haw-hawn a-gain! o/~

- CD and that's MY quota of random noise for the month used up...
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
what does a rake have to do with a lawn?

(I've a side-exit, I developed a path that routes all cut grass into disposal/composting areas without raking)
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
CD's probably one of those that doesn't have a self-collecting mower and would purchase a laser system that would cut a lawn if they'd existed.
what's 'self-collecting'?
I kid, I kid..  I mow with a 1979 Craftsman..  I don't have any of these new-fangled features
.[Image: e083551758441d5de05a9815d014e7eda7eaa6a_t.jpg]
Some Briggs and Stratton engined POS that loves to foul its plugs and always clogs up.

Great trick for leaning the things is to mount them up on blocks and aim a hose at the bottom of the blades. It sounds like the beginning of a darwin award but it really works.

Someone needs to clean their carb!

Took several roundy-rounds, but once I had the carb cleaned out and adjusted properly, life became orders of magnitude better...

I'm Onan powered, though, so YMMV.
Quote:Great trick for leaning the things is to mount them up on blocks and aim a hose at the bottom of the blades.
Our mulching mower actually has a hose fixture on the top of the deck so you can blow water right into the cutting chamber while the mower is running.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:Great trick for leaning the things is to mount them up on blocks and aim a hose at the bottom of the blades.
Our mulching mower actually has a hose fixture on the top of the deck so you can blow water right into the cutting chamber while the mower is running.
I believe that's been a feature on most deck mowers for the last decade. I know the 4-stroke we've got has a hole in the deck to left you do that. Might actually work better if it was a hose connector to a nossel thing. I probably should do something with it's battery too, for it's a keystart that won't start. Dead battery.....and I think we've lost the key too.
Wiredgeek Wrote:
Quote:Some Briggs and Stratton engined POS that loves to foul its plugs and always clogs up.

Someone needs to clean their carb!

Took several roundy-rounds, but once I had the carb cleaned out and adjusted properly, life became orders of magnitude better...

I'm Onan powered, though, so YMMV.

I took a bit to parse the last and googling it didn't help considering what NSFW topics were the top 3 links. So you converted a petrol ICE into a CNG/propane ICE? Sweet! Change the blade config and you'll be able to use it indoors if you need to clean a warehouse or sommat like that.
Quote:I took a bit to parse the last and googling it didn't help considering what NSFW topics were the top 3 links. So you converted a petrol ICE into a CNG/propane ICE? Sweet! Change the blade config and you'll be able to use it indoors if you need to clean a warehouse or sommat like that.

...I didn't even think about that.

The NSFW parts are not applicable to this discussion, though. The manufacturer of the petrol ICE that powers my lawn mower is Onan, however.

Blade config is just shy of perfect.. this fall I need to shim one of the blades down about 1/4"... for a setup older than I am, I'm quite pleased with it 8 )

Quote:I probably should do something with it's battery too, for it's a keystart that won't start. Dead battery.....and I think we've lost the key too.

While you're in there, it may behoove you to check for corrosion on the larger cables that go to the battery. If you end up replacing them, go a few mm larger. At least in America, I've seen a lot of small ICE engines with undersized cables to the starter, which can cause problems down the road when corrosion or a tired battery prevents them from getting the appropriate voltage/amperage.
Ours doesn't.... the only way to get it clean is to prop it up, fire it up... and aim.

Also. The reason it fouls is it's forever blowing oil into it's air filter out of the crankcase breather.... which isn't because of overfilling. It was the cheapest one they had at the time and it shows.

Take the tube from the crankcase to the air filter (breather tube), and clean it up real good (dish soap and hot water, makes a nice mess). Get a brillo pad or other steel hairball type scrubby pad, wash _that_ until all of the cleaning product is off of it.

Then you cut or rip off enough of the steel to loosely pack the breather tube with steel hairball. You don't want to occlude airflow, as such, but instead provide a lot of nice surfaces for that oil mist coming out of the crankcase to impact on, which will cause it to accumulate on the hairball, liquify, and run back into the crankcase, instead of into the air filter.