Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: an aniversery resurection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bob came up with this back on the EPU forums back then.  Jeanne Hedge found it and linked to it, and I thought it was worth reposting as a reminder here:
http://www.eyrie-producti...11&viewmode=threaded
With apologies to
our UK friends, I've appropriated an old rhyme of theirs from a similar
(in motive, if not in scale) event in their history. Please feel to
distribute it where you see fit, if you like; after I post here, it will
become my sig quote in several different fora... Please to remember
Eleven September --
Hijack, destruction and plot.
Our outraged reaction
To terrorist action
Should never be forgot.
-- Bob
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Some years back, the one time I was in the States, I made a point of visiting NYC and attending "the hole".
I walked around it. It was... unsettling, to put it mildly. "The Hole" - it had presence. There is no other way to describe it. The experience still haunts me. I'm fighting back tears as I type this.
The coverage of the events and the memorial over in New York have already started playing on the television, but I've had to turn it off.
I for one will never forget.
Shader.
We still have left over issues as well..like first responders coming coming down with loss of pulmonary function due to inhaling toxic compunds from that cloud generated when the towers pancaked.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Hmm... I still think, however powerful the memorial may be, that rebuilding on an even grander scale and putting the site back into use would have been a better message - "Strike us and we shall bleed, and grieve, and then come back stronger than ever and kick your hinder," rather than "If you manage to do something that actually hurts us, sure we'll stomp you afterward but it'll leave an indelible scar on our national identity." If the NYC targets had been the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building, with cultural significance of their own, it might be different, but the only thing the Twin Towers had going for them was formerly being the world's tallest buildings and a lot of people inside them, who stay dead no matter what is done in the aftermath. No-one much like the buildings themselves...

...yeah, I liked the "We'll rebuild with a wide tower that splits into four short structures and one tall one in the middle of the line" suggestion. You know, like this:
{}
{}
{}{}{}{}{}
{}______}
{____}

I has that NYC attitude, ifyaknowwhatImean.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows