Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Ok... ok... that's cool.... thats... OK... WHOOOOAAA!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...consider me officially pumped for this...

Day....um...

-Logan
--------------------
"If we can't protect the Earth, you can be damn sure we'll avenge it!"
--------------------
And I love the tag on it. That's just so very... Tony Stark.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Heh. Yeah. Tony. Tony... *shakes head* I've always had a love-hate thing with Tony Stark. Mostly love, but...  It's like, he has a heart of gold, yeah. And the character is entertaining as only RDJ could do it. But good god man, every other thing he does when not in the suit (and sometimes even in the suit) makes go "Oh John Ringo NO!!!" ("Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing...") I mean, the character is all about "Did he really GO there? Yes... yes he went there alright... *facepalm*

And yeah - liking the slightly edgy Captain America/Steve Rogers. It makes sense. I mean, wouldn't YOU be pretty down after waking up to find that most everyone you ever cared about is long dead or at best in an old age home somewhere? And you've got to adjust to MASSIVE social and cultural changes as well. 
As optimistic and resilient as Rogers is, I can't help but see him as still working through some issues as of the time frame of this film. 
Thor probably despite his discovery of humility and self-sacrifice still has some of the arrogance of being a god among mortals. 
So yeah - lots of character conflict. But if they can balance it all and give us an evolution of teamwork where they all learn to work together in epic fashion... Oh yeah. This'll be one hell of a movie.
Stark. Stark is going to be the fun one. Though Samuel L. Jackson can never be discounted.
Quote:And yeah - liking the slightly edgy Captain America/Steve Rogers. It makes sense. I mean, wouldn't YOU be pretty down after waking up to find that most everyone you ever cared about is long dead or at best in an old age home somewhere? And you've got to adjust to MASSIVE social and cultural changes as well.

As optimistic and resilient as Rogers is, I can't help but see him as still working through some issues as of the time frame of this film.
Especially if he's based on the Ultimate Cap, who is, as I understand it, still very much a man of the 1940s with many of the ingrained social habits and prejudices (though by far not all of them) of the era. 2012 America will be practically an alien world to him.
-- Bob
---------

Kurisu

...and not a single word mentioned about Hawkeye...
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...
Kurisu Wrote:...and not a single word mentioned about Hawkeye...
He's busy in Korea. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Oh I noticed Hawkeye. But...
See - for some reason, I've absolutely never, ever read a single comic he's ever been a part of. I know NOTHING about the character. Just that, to me, he seems (from appearances) to be "Marvel Comics version of Green Arrow". I know that's an extreme over-generalization. But I don't know Hawkeye from shinola so I can't say anything about him other than "Okay, skilled guy with bow, sounds like a familiar concept." I liked that he had a cameo in Thor to set things up though.
(I've never kept up with the Avengers comics in general. Which may be a good thing, as I'm going in completely cold with no expectations but that they get the individual characters right per their own movies.)
I noticed Black Widow was in there, too. Different actress. A slight shame about that cause the one in IM2 was smoking hot. But ok. Maybe this one can actually, you know... emote a little?
Different guy playing Bruce Banner too. That's ok too. Ed Norton... meh... Don't get me wrong, I LIKED him in The Incredible Hulk. Thought he did a good job. But rumors of his massive ego on and off the set precede him. So now we have a 3rd guy playing Banner. I can deal with that. I think precedent should be set by now.  At this point I fully expect the next movie to have the Hulk in it (Avengers or Hulk) to have yet ANOTHER guy playing Banner.
"Oh THIS is the guy playing Banner in the current movie this summer. Okay. Rolling with it... No problem..."
ECSNorway Wrote:
Kurisu Wrote:...and not a single word mentioned about Hawkeye...
He's busy in Korea. Smile
I cannot BELIEVE I read this 3 times before I got the joke. I must be off my game today. But you got a classic "Double-take" from me when it did "click". Big Grin
Well, the movie looks decent and TOny's one-liners are fun, but I have to say the thump-thump-thump-BANG-swoosh trailers are REALLY getting old. Really, really old.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:I noticed Black Widow was in there, too. Different actress.
Um, no... it's Scarlett Johansson again.
Quote:Different guy playing Bruce Banner too.
There you're right.
Quote:Ed Norton... meh... Don't get me wrong, I LIKED him in The Incredible Hulk. Thought he did a good job. But rumors of his massive ego on and off the set precede him.
So we'll team him up in another movie with Ralph Kramden...
-- Bob
---------
Quote:Well, the movie looks decent and TOny's one-liners are fun, but I have to say the thump-thump-thump-BANG-swoosh trailers are REALLY getting old. Really, really old.

Dude, maybe I'm just suffering from a pro-NIN bias, but I was happy as could be with the audio from that trailer.

I will be in the theatre to see this. Thor Vs. Cap.? Sign me up, fetch me my fighting trousers!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Oh, the music was okay, it's just the sound effects and the way they cut the scenes together. This was actually a pretty mild example since it did actually HAVE music, but still, my reaction to that trailer style is "hn-mn-meh-grr-eyeroll" -and I don't even watch many movies to have opportunity to see trailers. (even less since my laptop's furshlugginer DVD drive crapped out.)

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!
Looking at the movie photos (www.designtaxi.com/news/350800/Avengers ... er/?page=1), when I saw the first pic of the Black Widow, my immediate (and highly inappropriate) response was to wonder if she'd suddenly developed the power of explosive flatulence Smile
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
I am impressed at all the little details Marvel has been slipping into their films - I love how Stark in the trailer is rocking the vintage Black Sabbath 1978 US Tour shirt.
Dartz Wrote:Stark. Stark is going to be the fun one. Though Samuel L. Jackson can never be discounted.
See, this is both the greatness and at the same time, weakness of Samuel L. Jackson. He is inevitably personally larger than the role he plays. When RDJ plays Stark, I look at the movie screen and for the most part, I see Tony Stark. Whenever Jackson comes on screen though... I pretty much never think anything other than, "yeah, There's Samuel L. Jackson".