Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The First Sword I Ever Really *Wanted*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...is now available in replica format.  I just wish I had $3000...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
That is an odd duck of a blade - neither fish nor fowl.
The slight curve serves little purpose - reducing thrust distance, but not enough to allow for a full draw cut or to prevent it binding.  The angle of the grip is optimized for thrusting, at the cost of edge play.  It reminds me strongly of some Navy swords from the 1850s.
But boy is it pretty; the casting on the bell and hilt are gorgeous and that little flair on the bell is a delightful tool in an of itself for mayhem.  The weight is interesting; trending to the heavy side; the heavy bell and extra metal on the grip is going to drop it into the hand nicely; a lively blade but rough on the wrist.  The false-edge is welcome.
The scabbard.  Ick.  The blade itself is wonderfully simple with nice lines and understated decoration (Naval swords of the latter two centuries are often tarted up like a teenager's trapper keeper- this one is thankfully not); but that scabbard belongs on a cheap fantasy sword, not a piece like this (Get rid of the flaring on the drag and it would be greatly improved.)
$3,000 + Extra for the scabbard is a little high - okay, it is a lot high.
Quote:That is an odd duck of a blade - neither fish nor fowl.
I think -- despite the Latin motto -- the implication intended was that it was forged in a non-Earth culture, which had different aesthetics and/or requirements.
-- Bob
---------
Out of curiosity, Rev, where are you getting your information on the scabbard? There's no pic of it on the linked page.
Duane - look down.  Look waaaaay down.  It is at the bottom of the linked page.
Bob - There are very strong parallels to certain navy swords -
http://www.sailorinsaddle.com/product.aspx?id=1250
http://www.sailorinsaddle.com/product.aspx?id=1130
Ooooo.

OOOOOooooOOOOooooooo.

Want.  SO much.

And I could even afford it.  But I just can't justify spending that kind of money.
Yeah, I know, that was my reaction, too, Skyefire.
Quote:Bob - There are very strong parallels to certain navy swords
Ah, yes, I see. And the second was forged in Newark, NJ? I never knew there had been a swordsmith in Newark. Wow.
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:...is now available in replica format.  I just wish I had $3000...
Oh, what's $3000? While we live, let us live!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:...is now available in replica format.  I just wish I had $3000...

Oh, what's $3000? While we live, let us live!
 And be broke! Smile
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Glory Road always fell bizarrely flat, for me, but man, I want this.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
I was never a sabre man; I want this one: http://filmswords.com/zor...rsary-sword-of-zorro.htm
For recreations - I am considering this one - a nice example of later period bastards.
http://www.cashanwei.com/prod_Detail.aspx?id=SH2454
Sadly, I have developed a taste for antique swords - but I limit myself.  It is not as expensive a hobby as you might think - there are bargains to be found if you know what you are looking for (just be careful of the numerous fakes out there.)
The latest one is this beauty; 91 years old and still deadly.
http://www.antiqueswords....atton-Cavalry-Saber-.htm
This is a single purpose blade - it is made to fight from horseback in a particular fashion (think of it being used as a lance rather than a sword.)  One of the last military blades designed, implemented and trained to combat, rather than decoration.  I had mine out at the annual post Halloween pumpkin slay, and it is every bit as nasty as advertised, quick, responsive, and devastating on the thrust. 
I am considering another Japanese blade, but that will not be until next year.  The one I have is showa era, and I am going to look for something a little older.
Shayne
I'd have to say that of that site's offerings, the only ones that really appeal are the Tinker Longsword from the European section and the utilitarian Cutting Sword from the Chinese section, though the Jian would be a nice display piece. The Cutting Sword with a larger, euro style guard including blade-breakers (which none of their pieces have) would be ideal.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows