Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A comment on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You dirty evil dogs. You Americans have no idea how good you have it.
I just saw an ad for DVDs and Blu-rays for 2 bucks. But due to the zone restrictions it was useless for me to grab them. ARGH!
The said same movie is going for $40+ down the road.
So my spending this year is going to be restricted to sensible stuff: Clothing.
I'm also hunting Tablets, Joysticks/Joypads, various bits of software and Jewelery.
So far I'm keeping an eye on: Amazon, ebay, buy.com, Walmart, Target, Sears, Apple, Kohls. Any one have any other stores I should keep an eye on? I have a US shipping address that everything is to be shipped to.
Huh, you should've grabbed the DVD's as I've never had much trouble with English-language R1 DVDs due to the unofficial factory unlock on all the local (R4) stand-alone DVD players I've got. It's Region A Blu-ray's I'm not sure too on. Then there's the R1,2 DVD PC playback issue's I've been having lately beside the on-the-fly adding of subtitles.

I think you've covered most of the usual suspects.

I didn't have any trouble buying Battlefield 3 PC from amazon...even if it arrived a few days after the local release (it broke street the morning of the midnight release & I was working right next to an EB on that day) & I've got an pre-order there for Mass Effect 3 CE, both of them will arrive quicker to me than the same items ordered from JB Hifi online will, and that's got the shorter distance to come from.

--Rod.H

Kokuten

Region Locking is bullshit.

Black Friday - also bullshit.

as for Tablets, Nook Color should start getting cheap, Nook Tablet just hit - looks sexy as hell, too.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

CattyNebulart

For a tablet you might want to wait for a bit, the next version of the fire is supposed to hit soonish (within a year) which should prompt another round of discounts.

And region locking should be illegal.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Yeah... but the Tablets are not for me... I'm just the go between. The individuals concerned want the tablets... "Now" broadly speaking.

Anyone know where I can find a comparison/review/opinion on the BlackBerry Playbook and the Toshiba Thrive. Its either that or the HP TouchPad.

CrimsonKMR

I love me Asus Transformer EEE :3
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed
Getting on like a house on fire with a Galxy Tab 10.1 here to meself. Should be a grand thing for gaming, especially with the 3g Wi-Fi modem I got with it for free. Got my own personal area network with it.

This would be a perfect mood setter for running something like Shadowrun
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Ok... On the tablet front we're good.

We got the Toshiba Thrive locally and its going down a treat, so we're getting a cheap backup ... the Acer Iconia 7 inch Tablet 8GB from GameStop for $249.99.

If you can find it cheaper, please TELL ME within the next oh... 10-12 hours. Or you know of a better tablet that runs Android 3 for less, ditto.

But that's not what I'm posting about.

My darling little sister has found some skirts at Sears.

In particular this skirt here: Laura Scott Women's Gored Suede Maxi Skirt and she wants one in two different colors (During the sales it was cheaper, but now they are $22 each). As you do. Being Sears, its FREE to if you pick it up in a store. My nearest store is across that puddle. Getting it delivered to the family's shipping address, and woah... $90 (seems a little steep, first instance is to go: what do they do for that much?). What's so tricky about sending some clothing in the post? Mind you is says its Suede... I don't handle Suede and know nothing about it.

Hence my request: Between my brother and myself, as a surprise, we've ponied up a bit of our remaining gift money and we're asking those we know over in the states if one of them would mind going to Sears and picking them up and either sending or delivering them to the freight forwarder that we're using. We'd be willing to compensate you for your hassle... just not $90. This is the last roll of the dice.
Alas, Sears Canada is not the same shop as Sears US, so I can't help you here... Sorry about that.

Edit: What gives? I didn't put that link there.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Edit: What gives? I didn't put that link there.
I think we've just discovered the first side effect of Yuku's acquisition by another company. Hovering my cursor over the link -- and the other instances of "S-e-a-r-s" that are links -- produces a tooltip reading "Link added by VigLink".

A quick Googling turns up http://www.viglink.com]their site. They're some kind of affiliate program, which the new owners of Yuku are clearly running through my boards without notifying me.

I think I'm going to have to complain about this, because when I pay for no ads, I expect no ads. And I suspect it might be just a little illegal.

Everyone else, you can http://www.viglink.com/support/optout]opt out. I suggest you do so, and complain to Yuku and VigLink both.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Interesting. I don't see the links at all.

I'm running Firefox with AdBlockPlus installed, tho, so that may be why.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I'm at work using Chrome; I suspect that Seamonkey and Noscript will prevent the links from appearing on my home machine.

Either way, though, I'm complaining.
-- Bob
---------
I'm using firefox and noscript and I'm not seeing anything.
Sorry for breaking the board, boss. Smile Looking at the page now the 'extra' links appear gone.
Likewise...
--
Rob Kelk

Turns out we weren't the only users miffed at the sudden appearance of VigLink. There were a lot of complaints, apparently.
-- Bob
---------
Hmm... let's see, making it look like we're pointing people at websites, whether or not we would recommend purchasing from them or have a running boycott? Yeah, that would be cause for a lot of complaints.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor