Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Mythbusters does an oopsy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mythbusters managed to do a spectacular mess up in a shoot for a show. As they found out Cannonballs have a very long reach...Very lucky they didn't kill anybody...

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Jj-CE ... 3&hl=en_US
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."
Are American homes poorly constructed?

Myth Confirmed.

dark seraph

In today's Episode of Mythbusters, will the US media over hype this?

dark seraph Wrote:In today's Episode of Mythbusters, will the US media over hype this?
Confirmed.
Oh NO... DAMN it. Media are so over-hyping this. They're probably going to freaking cancel the damn show due to fear over lawsuits!
It's a big show. I rather doubt Discovery'll cancel it. They'll likely pay for the damages (small beans to them, I'm sure) and possibly some fine or other slap on the wrist.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

dark seraph

The only long term repercussions I see from this is that the Mythbusters will have to find a new bomb range to blow shit up from.

Which will suck cuz the one they already used loved the publicity they got.

Yup, think your right about that. Maybe the naval arms depot could handle them? The ammo bunkers are already armored inside and out to keep any oopsies from spreading.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Adam Savage's twitter feed says they aren't being suspended or cancelled...... but they won't be showing footage of their minor cannonical indiscretion on TV.

cant decide if thats a shame or not. Certainly I can see the why nots, but at the same time I could also see them using it as a proof of WHY YOU DONT TRY THIS AT HOME, complete with snarky comments written for the narrorator to provide afterward.
(Edited to addSmile
Athough, having googled up a map of the area,  something feels hinky to
me about how the Media is portraying this.  This image pretty much
sums up my thoughts:
[Image: mythshot.jpg]
Note especially the scale, which in its own way was played up by the media in the way they went from a zoom around the red circle to a zoom around the green...  (all anotations my own, btw)

NO QUARTER!!!
dark seraph Wrote:The only long term repercussions I see from this is that the Mythbusters will have to find a new bomb range to blow shit up from.
I doubt that will happen. The EOD guy seemed really low-key about it, and he was probably one of the guys on-site when it went off. I suspect there may be some heightened precautions, but no one in that news segment seemed particularly concerned about the damage, except for maybe the news caster, and they get paid to make mountains out of molehills. I see an out-of-court settlement on the damage, heightened safety measures on their munitions experiments, and a public apology from the team and Discovery.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

dark seraph

If it was my house, I settle for them paying for the damage.... then signing the canon ball and letting me keep it Tongue

Cannonballs dont hold ink well, though....

NO QUARTER!!!
Ebony Wrote:
dark seraph Wrote:The only long term repercussions I see from this is that the Mythbusters will have to find a new bomb range to blow shit up from.
I doubt that will happen. The EOD guy seemed really low-key about it, and he was probably one of the guys on-site when it went off. I suspect there may be some heightened precautions, but no one in that news segment seemed particularly concerned about the damage, except for maybe the news caster, and they get paid to make mountains out of molehills. I see an out-of-court settlement on the damage, heightened safety measures on their munitions experiments, and a public apology from the team and Discovery.
I do expect that some people - no necessarily residents of that neighborhood - will make lots of noise, go to Alameda County to ask that the Mythbusters be banned completely from the bomb range, and perhaps even try to file an endangerment lawsuit or pass laws banning their activities at the bomb range. This is, of course, assuming that the Mythbusters decide that the bomb range is the best place to do some of their tests, even if they keep it to non-projectile objects.

I do expect that they'll try to do more out in that flat desert location if they still have access to it, though.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Star Ranger4 Wrote:Cannonballs dont hold ink well, though....
Sign it the way any other piece of metal was signed before the 20th century - etch it.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Funny, I was going to suggest a paint pen.
SR someone else has an better Idea where the bomb range is and the Wired article linked to it http://wikimapia.org/8706...unty-Bomb-Disposal-Range it's just SSE of your blue blobicle. I wonder if they aimed at a target built in another direction than the resultant trajectory 'cos they normally fire projectiles downrange - to the north if that location's right - and the missfire bounced it east.......luckily whoever was in charge of the dice was rolling ones.
Thx rod. If you zoom in you can also see that the one side that makes a 'natural berm' to put behind the shots... points right at the impact area.

NO QUARTER!!!
And for everyone's edification, here's a map of the trajectory. http://www.perceptionbuil...thbusters-cannonball-map

Half a mile from cannon to minivan, give or take 100 feet. That range is certainly not far from civilization.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I want to know what that first house is sitting on, that can bounce a cannonball through a second-story window on a trajectory to come down on the house...and what those roof tiles are made of as well.
Well, can't watch the news clip again (ABC News had it yanked), but from what I remember, the first house had the cannonball enter through the front door and exit via the second story master bedroom, hence it was rising from a bounce by my logic. They showed the roof guy holding a piece of one of the tiles, and it looked to me to be a rounded clay tile of some sort. Also, it's possible the first house was on a hill and/or the second at the bottom of one, but that's speculation on my part as I've not seen topographical maps of the region.
I am passingly familiar with the geography of the area (lived in the Bay Area for almost 3 years) and I watch the show, so I've recognized landmarks before etc. 

Pretty much all the residential areas nearby would be downhill from the range. It's an area of foothills rising up to the mountains on the east side of the Bay. So if the cannonball bounced from the range to the residential area, it's going more or less downhill (probably another reason why it could go so far). But yeah - first impact is going to be a bounce -before- the first house gets nailed, then the cannonball goes through the house upwards, has time to get some air, comes down and bounces on the next house's roof which is downhill a bit further, then finally winds up in the SUV further downhill yet. 
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.
I'd post another link for the video, but I feel that would go against Bob's policies about copyright infringement on the boards. Just do a search for MythBusters Cannonball Mishap on YouTube.

Pretty remarkable if I do say so myself. I wouldn't have been firing off a Napoleonic cannon like that within five miles of anything that even resembled civilization. Take it from a guy whose stock in trade was artillery.  Next time, guys, get some tin-can sailors on the scene, or even a Marine arty crew.