Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Harry Morgan RIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Time to get out the DVDs of M*A*S*H...

Harry Morgan: 1915-2011
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, he had some interesting roles as a supporting player. Movies like "Support Your Local Sheriff".
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Indeed... And yet every time I recognized him I still thought of "hey, they got Col. Potter, err, Harry Morgan for that" because my first exposure to his work was his run on M*A*S*H.

*Play Taps.MP3*

*Play 21gun_salute.mp3*
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
*Salutes*  Rest in peace, good sir. You had a nice, long run.
What Logan said.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Time to dig out one of the best "Colonel Potter" episodes:

The one where Sherman turns out to be the last survivor of a "tontene" of WWI vets, and inherits the fancy bottle of French wine that, the tontene had agree, the last survivor would open up and drink with whatever new friends he had near him at the time, in memory of his old friends.  So, of course, he ends up sharing it with Hawkeye, BJ, Margaret, and Radar.  One of those little moments that made M*A*S*H* so damn timeless....
I seem to recall that that episode was a post-Radar episode, and that the attendees were Hawkeye and BJ, Margaret, Father Mulcahey, Winchester and possibly even Klinger. I recall Winchester seeming to be particularly touched by Colonel Potters gesture. 

Could anyone confirm that? I looked for info online but for once my Google-fu seems to be failing me.
The episode you are think of is 'Old Soldiers"
Thanks. Just looked it up and that's the one. I'd love to find video of the scene in question online. But MASH vids seem hard to come by on Youtube. Probably policed and removed rather regularly. 
Logan Darklighter Wrote:Thanks. Just looked it up and that's the one. I'd love to find video of the scene in question online. But MASH vids seem hard to come by on Youtube. Probably policed and removed rather regularly. 
The full episode:
http://tvsearch.co/tv/watch/M5Q4TZJW/
Thank you very much. Slight problem in that the video and audio got out of sync by a couple of seconds early in. But that's ok. Still watchable.  

Gotta admit I kinda got a little choked up near the end of the episode when Colonel Potter makes the toast. Always do. 

But this time especially.