Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Q: Anime characters and friendship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to put together a team for this year's New year's Challenge. I want the team's theme to be "friendship" (because, hey, apparently it's magic).

I need some ideas: When you think of anime characters and friendship, who do you think of?

Besides Nanoha and "befriending", of course. That's the easy answer...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

dark seraph

Vash the Stamped comes to mind, he friends with nearly a whole planet.

Aslo, Rock from Black Lagoon, he made friends with Revvy Nanoha style! Tongue

Shinji Ikari, Touji Suzahara and Kensuke Aida of Evangelion fame..... or Asuka and Hikari.

Peoples desire for friendship/companionship/general being-with-each-otherness is one of core themes of the series, after all.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Naruto is the type who'll go to any length for a friend.
Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya could also be appropriate. He returned from a world made specifically for him because the people there weren't the same ones he'd become friends with. He'd also make a great everyman character for your story while also coping well with the crossover element.
Sae Sawanoguchi from Magic User's Club.
Rushuna from Grenadier.
Otaru from Saber Marionette J.
Sasahara from Genshiken. That one'd be weird.
C-Ko from Project A-Ko.
Heck, Pinkie Pie may not be from an anime, but I doubt that would stop her from at least making a cameo.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Usagi from Sailor Moon comes to mind. 
Not sure about the Eva cast though, although they desire friendship, none of them really have any skill with it.  Depends on what the needs of the team are I guess.
Horaki could do as an 'everyman' (everygirl?) type, but I think Kyon would be better. Most of the living cast from Bleach have also gone to the wall for friendship, as well, though Ishida would deny it like nothing had been denied before. Most shonen has it as at least a secondary theme, and practically all shojo - it's actually harder for me to think of anyone but over-the-top villains who'd denounce it.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I'm leaning toward Akari Mizunashi as my "everywoman" character, actually; she's friends with everybody in Aria the Animation and she's a genuinely happy person.

But I just might replace her with Kyon...

Keep the ideas coming, please – I have the entire weekend to decide.
--
Rob Kelk

I think Yugo from Wakfu would fit under this category. While friendship isn't a core focus, he is a very friendly guy, to the point where
(Seriously major spoilers)
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
K-On.
Maria-sama ga Miteru, for a certain definition of friendship.
Azumanga Daioh.
Sora Naegano from Kaleido*Star wins over some of her most ardent detractors and some seriously hostile people during the course of the show's two seasons. Plus she's an incredible acrobat and -- as I've noted in a Nanostep -- possesses an apparently metahuman ability to achieve Olympic-level skill in various physical endeavors in ridiculously brief amounts of time. And depending on how you interpret the events of both seasons' endings, may be able to fly under her own power.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Is it strictly anime, as in animation from Japan only?
Honorbridge Wrote:Depends on what the needs of the team are I guess.
That's part of the Challenge – we don't know what the requirements are until after the teams are assembled.

(Oh, and Belldandy and other "I can do anything" characters are off-limits. The idea is to write an interesting story, not to walk all over the Challenge.)

blackaeronaut Wrote:Is it strictly anime, as in animation from Japan only?
Yes - the New Year's Challenge is in rec.arts.anime.misc, so the "Japanese animation" definition applies.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to run with "Team Friendship is Magic...al-Girls": Sae, Usagi, and Nanoha. If they can't solve any problem thrown at them, nobody can...
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, yes: If anyone else wants to take part, pick a team of three and post it to this thread:

http://groups.google.com...q&hl=en#649418d1c7038bcd
--
Rob Kelk

Negima is definitely falls in the friendship trope
Negi,  Kotaro and Fate (the male one) falls into that category
Runroni Kenshin....
Kenshin, Sagara and Shinamori...
And the devil will burn!