Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Secret World of Arrietty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I saw The Secret World of Arrietty this evening... Good movie, definitely a family film (not a kids' movie, but one they'll enjoy too), and a decent dub (the actress they cast for Arrietty was spot-on). Not wanting to wait for Disney's home-video release (and not wanting to help fund Disney's part in backing SOPA), I'll be ordering a copy from CDJapan later this week.

I believe blackaeronaut called this one "bittersweet" - he's right, but given what happens in the story, that's the only reasonable way for it to end. They set up a particular ending, and they have the courage to see it through to that ending - no rabbits out of hats here.

The flying scene is not quite an hour into the movie. It is Studio Ghibli, after all.

Lovely music, composed by http://www.cecile-corbel.com/en/home.html - I'll be getting the soundtrack from CDJapan as well, and looking in the local record stores for her other albums.

I'm happy...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I've been sitting on the blu-ray of this for months and as I ordered it when BA suggested it I've also got Arrietty's signature cosplay item: the cloths pin.

Kurisu

If you want to to a comparison, check out the BBC live-action version...

http://youtu.be/DpcXLTm50sU
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...
I finally saw this and overall I liked it.  I had a problem with David Henrie's take on his character.  While Shawn (Shou) is worried and depressed, due to everything happening to him, I felt that Henrie played it as apathetic instead.  It grated on me for the longest time.  I've seen him in other things and never had this reaction to his acting before.
On another thing, did anyone else start thinking about Monet while looking at the outdoor scenes?  The way the foliage was drawn just reminded me of his work.
The only Easter Egg I found to the other Ghibli movies was the tanooki that they passed in the night as they were moving giving a nod to Pom Poko.
bmull Wrote:The only Easter Egg I found to the other Ghibli movies was the tanooki that they passed in the night as they were moving giving a nod to Pom Poko.
That's the only one you spotted? When Arrietty was looking right at the cat's face, I thought "Totoro"...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
bmull Wrote:The only Easter Egg I found to the other Ghibli movies was the tanooki that they passed in the night as they were moving giving a nod to Pom Poko.

That's the only one you spotted? When Arrietty was looking right at the cat's face, I thought "Totoro"...
That would make sense as I never watched "Totoro".  I'll have to see about borrowing a friend's DVD and take a look.  Do you know if Disney has butchered the subtitles as they did with Laputa?
My, my... It isn't often that a US release of an anime makes the mainstream Japanese news...
--
Rob Kelk