Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Dead Bang
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've got an updated file at the same site now. About 72K RTF.
www.cyberus.ca/~dragonflight/dead_bang/
Now to figure out how to register my name. Maybe I can use a modification. I've done that before... Smile
Do you mean as a user here? I believe you can register as a local user for this board only and not worry about collisions with other ezBoard members.
Of course, it's been so long since I've seen a registration prompt, I don't know where they are.
In the mean time, I must trot over to your website and get the latest version of DB1...

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
A request (before I go off and read the update): post your stories in plain text format and not RTF? From the first incarnation, you don't need any of the formatting the RTF gives you, and text is much more portable (and smaller Smile)
Go ahead and work on it in RTF (or whatever) as your master, just post as plain text - your readers will thank you.
Thanks (see! Smile)
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large

Jeanne Hedge

Interesting start Smile
A couple comments -
Sylia "teaching" Lisa - Light the candle, put it out, light it again... very reminiscent of a scene in the first book of the series DW1 was based on, teaching a firestarter to start controlled fires, put them out, start them again..... Smile

During the movie theater scene (Oct 12 2037) it's said that Nene is just shy of 25 years old. Nene's birthyear is 2014, if you go by the date shown in that old BGC video game her birthday is August 31. So she's actually about 6 weeks past her 23rd birthday at that point. Not that it probably matters any.

Sylia asking Linna to take over Loon - I'm a bit surprised she didn't give Linna's past history with the Changs as one of the advantages to her running things there.
btw -- I think you had Linna leave Raven's Garage wearing a jacket over a robe over her testing gear. You didn't have her change out of her workout gear anywhere along the line.

Typo when Madigan's secretary fills her in on the overnight news: "I cant very well have our international offices gong rogue on me now, can I?"
"Also, on a related note, Miss Reika Chang, the rock star known as Vision has flown into Megatokyo." -- I think there should be a comma after Vision.

Girls in the sewers, eh? Certainly more problematical than alligators. Wink
Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
"...gong rogue"
Oops...

I considered it, but the inference between the lines is that Linna already knew, since Reika had had a letter from Linna before the story started to the effect that the Chang Group was in a partnership with Loon. That was what brought Reika to Megatokyo, in fact, and was broadly hinted at in the prologue.
Still, I thought there would be little need for Sylia to bring that up. The opportunity to make more money in the business world should be all the lure Linna would need to jump at the chance. She's been demonstrated as a dance instructor who's keenly interested in the business executive model. I don't know. Maybe it's the dressier attire, or the intimation of power over others. Maybe it pays better. She's also money-hungry. (Maybe it's just a better way to meet guys? She goes through them fast enough.)
Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll make the changes today...
One of the things that's really hard to do in plain text is italics. Smile That's the big reason why I resort to RTF. It makes it really easy to put exclamations into the storyline without lots of distracting text. I'll do a text conversion however, if you like, and leave it up to the reader to decide which one they want.

Jeanne Hedge

Quote:
One of the things that's really hard to do in plain text is italics. SmileThat's the big reason why I resort to RTF.
There are a couple oft-used conventions in place of italics for text files: _underscores_ or *asterisks*.
When it comes time to do a fully formatted version, then you do a find and manual replace.Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Jeanne Hedge

Quote:

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Now that I know when it is, absolutely! Smile
Having biographical data is really helpful for stuff like that. As for writing in her birthday party, absolutely I will! Smile Now I just have to figure out if anything particularly *nasty* happens (there's me practicing with asterisks. Smile )
Anyway, previously you mentioned how Lisa's training looked similar to Griffon's from the Valdemar series. Having read (or own) most of the series, that's not surprising. I'm re-reading the "Winds" trilogy to get a feel for the different levels of magic ability. They're pretty nebulous when you get down to it. More about self-maintaining spells, channelling and power levels the more powerful you get.
Bob mentioned that Lisa has to be a well-trained and competent Adept by the time she jumps into his timeline, and doing that became a heck of a lot easier when I read something he wrote way back in the first couple of chapters. Back when Doug first sampled the Megatokyo Node.
Bwah? What would that be?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Sylia "teaching" Lisa - Light the candle, put it out, light it again... very reminiscent of a scene in the first book of the series DW1 was based on, teaching a firestarter to start controlled fires, put them out, start them again..... Smile
It's also reminiscent (intentionally, from what Dragonflight said elsewhere) of Skeeve's early training in Asprin's "Myth Adventures" series.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
There are a couple oft-used conventions in place of italics for text files: _underscores_ or *asterisks*.
Some rendering engines -- such as that used for plain text email in Mozilla -- even recognize them and alter the text
accordingly.

-- Bob
---------
Bob Bwah'd:
Quote:
What would that be?
Chapter 1 or 2... where Doug realizes about just how darn BIG the node is, and that no one has been tapping it... then theorises "With a node that big, anyone who tried would have all sorts of control problems because of the power overload" or words to that effect."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Jeanne Hedge

Quote:
Bwah? What would that be?
What are you bwah-ing, Bob?Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Quote:
Chapter 1 or 2... where Doug realizes about just how darn BIG the node is, and that no one has been tapping it... then theorises "With a node that big, anyone who tried would have all sorts of control problems because of the power overload" or words to that effect.
Oh! Um, well... that bit was left over from when the fic was originally set in the BGC universe that Twister and Legion had already dumped in the Mixmaster. The overload caused by the monster node was going to be the reason Twister's female form's magic was all screwed up...
(Edit: fixed markup)

-- Bob
---------

cpt kangarooski

The significance with regards to the birthdays is that they fall on the same days of the year as the birthdays of the seiyuu that played them. (n.b. the date given for Priss is that of her first seiyuu; the alternative is Nov. 17)
--Cpt K (whose mother, and twin brother and sister share the same birthday which means I can forget to get them anything much more efficiently)
Well, for better or for worse, it's written. Smile
Besides, this works out well. She'll be either high-end Adept, or maybe even a coveted Sorceress-Adept by the time she's finished, simply by virtue of the fact that when she graduates to Adept level magic, *nothing will work right*. The entire section on Adept level magic won't gel with the results she's getting (Once she starts tapping the node). So she'll have to essentially reinvent what she needs to know, and develop the kind of control only a Healing Adept would have to have. By the time she's finished, she'll be a powerhouse of the first order. Now, there's just scripting that all in. Smile
Okay, that works for me.
And that's probably before she even thinks to try Theurgy...

-- Bob
---------
You know, I just had an odd vision of this - take the one Lina has when Amelia is first pestering her about teracher her the Dragon Slave, then substitute Scoop Chase age Lisa, who says, "How dare you destroy an innocent girl's camera, you evil mercenaries!? DRAGON SLAVE!!"
I know, by this time she's quite a bit more mature than that... well, she has a more durable camera, anyway... but still.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Theurgy- n. The working of miracles.
"Do you think they'll make it?"
"It'll take a miracle."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Jeanne Hedge

Quote:
The significance with regards to the birthdays
Pin-Pon! Cpt K wins the no-prize! Smile
Quote:
whose mother, and twin brother and sister share the same birthday
We've got a spate of that, and near-misses, in our family too. My mother and I, my cousin and our grandfather, two more cousins (sisters) on consecutive days, among others. If you remember, you make a lot of people happy, if you forget they're all mad at you!Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Jeanne Hedge

Quote:
As for writing in her birthday party, absolutely I will! SmileNow I just have to figure out if anything particularly *nasty* happens
Aw, give the girl a break. Even Knight Sabers can have perfectly normal and uneventful days WinkJeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Sure they do, Jeanne. Its just that those don't make for good stories. =p"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Jeanne Hedge

Quote:
those don't make for good stories
We're talking about a simple birthday party. Unless I greatly misunderstood, a scene, not a story. For heaven's sake, even Bert VV managed to give the KS birthday parties where the excitement derived from food, drink and gifts, not behemoth blue B-series boomers blunderingly bombing and blasting away.
A little contrast is good for a story that's more than a few scenes long.Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Oh, I agree. However, Linna's birthday's going to be a bittersweet event, since although Reika's there, she's a little wrecked at the moment. And no matter how hard she tries to have a good time, the tragedy her family's endured will come back to haunt her. She'll see Irene ghosting in the background in her imagination, her recent loss pulling her down, and the fact that since Linna's now running the organization her own family wants to destroy, this could be her *last* birthday... Reika's going to be a basket case for a while, I'm afraid.
Pages: 1 2