Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Games creating folders in My Documents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are a number of games NWN2 and Mass effect that create folders in the "My Documents" area.
I REALLLY REALLLY hate this. It messes up my file arangement.
Is there any way to get them to stop or create folders somewhere else?

Irascor

Some games have .ini files where you can tweak the directory the save files go to, so you might want to try that.
I'm pretty sure they are created during install, so I don't think you'll get things to stop making them. I know that NWN2 and Mass Effect have their user-specific/generated content like saves and screenies (and the override dir for mods) in the My Documents section. So some you can't just delete it and keep it gone. You might, though, as Ira suggests, be able to redirect them somewhere else and delete the current folder. I'm not sure how successful this will be, though. Suffice it to say, it is not going to be a recommended practice.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

CattyNebulart

If you run them through wine you can specify what the My Documents folder should be, and you can have a separate wineroot for each game, but if you are using windows I don't know, I don't think you can stop it. Windows kinda has symbolic links so you could use those to redirect the folder which half accomplishes what you want.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
You can specify what actual folder your My Documents folder points at.  That's about the only way to do it; it's technically a system folder and the apps, games, what-have-you ask Windows what it is when they go to create stuff.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs