Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Requesting a big favor from the CG folks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some of us are already aware, there's a "freebie challenge" each month on the Daz3D forums. I've been accepted as the host for the November challenge... which means I need to either create or scrounge some decent prizes for the challenge winners, and something small for all of the participants. And my time to learn the skills to create something before November is effectively zero. (I might manage a texture or two for somebody else's clothing item, but I can't even guarantee I'll have the time for that.) While I could buy some store gift certificates, that's not really in the spirit of the challenges... and it doesn't help me with the item(s) for all participants. I need some help.

Is there anybody interested in creating a freebie or two for me to give away to the winners, even something as small as the aforementioned "texture or two" for an existing free outfit?

There's no way I can afford to pay what it would be worth, although I wouldn't mind if you sold it or gave it away after Xmas. I will of course give credit where credit is due. It has to be usable in Daz Studio at a minimum. (They're hosting the contest; that's one of their rules.) It doesn't need to be something related to my month's challenge theme (which, BTW, is "Lest We Forget") - in fact, a December-themed freebie would work well for a November contest.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
hrrrrmmm.... Did you have anything particular in mind? or having realised your on the hook are you still in panic mode?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Some from column A, some from column B. (As yet, I still haven't installed my copy of Hexagon, let alone started to play with it. On the flip side, I'm known on that forum as a compiler of information, not as a maker of content, so I'm not panicking yet.) Past prizes have sometimes matched the theme and sometimes not matched the theme - no matter what I give away, there's precedent.

I'll need prizes for first, second, and third place (at least one each, although I can get away with third place getting X, second place getting Y, and first place getting X and Y), honorable mention (two copies of the same prize or prizes), and an entry gift (as many copies of the giveaway(s) as there are entrants). The entry gift is optional, but I've picked a sombre theme between two months with happy themes, so I might need to "bribe" folks to take part.

So far, I've been promised one item to be determined, from the person who coordinates the freebie challenges. (Considering the quality of his work, this will likely be one of the top three prizes.)

One thing I had intended to do was create at least one sombre texture for this outfit as (part of?) the entry gift - there's precious little in the way of subdued clothing for Kids4 and every so often one needs it - but Real Life has gotten in the way of that, too...
--
Rob Kelk

recoloring a texture?

http://www.mediafire.com/?csed1ckduapdk8j

try those.

NO QUARTER!!!
Thanks!
--
Rob Kelk

*does more digging* Hrrrm; Okay that makes sense, mostly. The mesh itself is stored in a very common file type, .obj bone data is stored in .cr2 Pose data is effectively a subset of the bone data describing the joint angles of the bones, eh?

Rob, do you happen to know if the data in .cr2 and or .pz2 files is alpha numeric? and or if its stored in ascii format, or compressed binary? Dont suppose you could ask around on poser fora and find out if you dont?

NO QUARTER!!!
It can be stored in a number of ways, but it's most commonly stored as plain-ASCII.

(One reason I picked that particular outfit is that it already has some .pz2 files that I can copy and edit to create the new click-and-load textures. Another reason is that is also has UV maps of the meshes. One would think the outfit's creator wanted people to make more textures for it!)
--
Rob Kelk

Thanks for that info. It will be usefull for me, even if I wind up not getting anything else done in time to help you.

Need to let my back brain chew on this for a while and see what it might spit out. Might be able to come up with something more, might not. If you have any other thoughts as far as what you'd might like to see over and above texture recolorage, I'd love to hear it

NO QUARTER!!!
I just got a judge's gift for judging the July challenge... so I suppose I'll need one of those, as well. (Anybody want to make a "scales of Justice" prop for me? There are plenty of swords out there already...)

At this point, I may as well use this thread as my scratchpad for what I've got and what I need.

First place: --
Second place: --
Third place: --
Honorable Mention (x2): --
Entry gift (x??): --
Judges' gift (x3): --

Edit, August 6: I've been promised "something" by the fellow who runs the challenges, and I've gotten a promise from chohole (she of the wonderful textures) to provide some textures for one of the manomano outfits. I'll slot those into the list above when I find out what I'm getting...
--
Rob Kelk

[Image: soj080712001.jpg]?

NO QUARTER!!!
All it needs now is the hanging pans.
--
Rob Kelk

Look at your man...
Now back at me...
[Image: soj080812001.th.jpg]
I've got pans!
*snerk*

Gross modeling 99.9% complete. Still have to do some work to make sure its gonna look this good once I export to .obj format.

NO QUARTER!!!
Rob? give this a DL and let me know if the size is right? I've tried to check but my copy of DAZ seems to think I have no people in it. Or at least none it will correctly import geometries for at the moment.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cc21ortm0m9eycf

NO QUARTER!!!
MediaFire is taking forever to load, and when the page finally does show up, I get an "Invalid or Deleted File" message...

Ill try again later, when the site (I hope) isn't so busy.

Edit: Got it on the third try. I'll test it this weekend.
--
Rob Kelk

It's a bit small...
[Image: SoJ_100%25.png]

More in the PM that I just sent you.
--
Rob Kelk

http://www.mediafire.com/?j7qp3k2bift49l2

Exported with a scale factor of 2500 during .obj export. Lemme know if it works ok, if not I still have a couple other bows to my string to try

NO QUARTER!!!
I PM'ed but didn't post that it works just fine...

Two last questions: How do you want to be credited, and what usage restrictions (if any) do you want to put on the model?
--
Rob Kelk

As Star Ranger4, and no restrictions.

NO QUARTER!!!
Thanks again for the help!

Status: I have Star Ranger4's gift for the judges, a pose set for the MilHorse as an entry gift, and items for first, second, and third place finishers. I've been pointed at somebody who's willing to provide gift certificates as additional prizes. Now all I need is something to give to the Honourable Mentions... (and some judges, but I'll get them on the Daz3D forums).
--
Rob Kelk