Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: See 'Yamato 2199' episodes #3-6 subtitled!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you're interested, go here and watch before it gets pulled down!

http://www.gogoanime.com/uchuu-senkan-y ... -episode-3
http://www.gogoanime.com/uchuu-senkan-y ... -episode-4

http://www.gogoanime.com/uchuu-senkan-y ... -episode-5
http://www.gogoanime.com/uchuu-senkan-y ... -episode-6

I was warned that
Quote:"You'll have to navigate pop-ups and ads, but it does
work. Avoid the "download-start now" buttons (DON'T push them) and wait
for the episode to load."
However I found that with ad-block and no-script it worked just fine and no pop-ups appeared, though YMMV of course. Just a heads up about that.
Quote:When the screen says "watch high quality & fast streaming after the ads", hit the arrow, sit through an obligatory 15-second ad, and it hasshins!
You may have to let it buffer a bit to start. Anyway, the episodes get
thumbs-up --  robot tanks really are robot tanks (intentional gag?),
Makoto is a sweetie with a pervy mind, a small (maybe false) hint of a
romance/jealousy triangle, planet Gamilas looks incredible, and Yamamoto-chan (the fighter pilot)
is a badass. Joe Bob says check it out!
Just finished watching #3, which includes the Warp Test and the Floating Continent battle at Jupiter. AWESOME.
Mmmm.  The enemy officer viewing a "Come home soon" message from his cute daughter is a nice "humanizing" moment.
"Teron" weapons can't get throught Gamila shields, eh?  Boy, was he out of touch with reality.
I still say there ought to be a way Kodai can look to the side with magnification without having to look completely away from his main displays.  All it needs is a small subsidiary screen or two beside or maybe just above the main Tactical monitor.  Oh, well....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quote:I still say there ought to be a way Kodai can look to the side with magnification without
having to look completely away from his main displays.  All it needs is
a small subsidiary screen or two beside or maybe just above the main
Tactical monitor.  Oh, well....
I don't know why, but I get the impression that he just LIKES using the handheld binocs. Nobody else seems to use them. It may be just a personal thing with him?
They do seem to be a high tech item themselves and not just a set of lenses. Maybe they're almost as good at Mark 1 eyeball enhancement as the ship sensors? Maybe he just wants a personal view and doesn't want to take time and resources away from the sensors/tactical ops guy? (I think that's "Eager" to use the Star Blazers name for him - the slightly portly guy in the green on white who sits on the far right next to Sandor and Nova).
Quote:"Teron" weapons can't get throught Gamila shields, eh?  Boy, was he out of touch with reality.
Well to be fair - they'd just spent an entire war fighting against the "Terons" and up until Yamato, the Earth ships could NOT get through Gamilas shields. At least at any kind of range. I seem to recall that the Yukikaze in it's final run in the first episode was able to do some damage at near point-blank range. And missiles seemed to work too.
Quote:Mmmm.  The enemy officer viewing a "Come home soon" message from his cute daughter is a nice "humanizing" moment.
Yup - that was good. Also the fact that his officers are loyal to him out of respect apparently. And I liked they mention they all miss working for General Domel who if you don't know, was the original name of General Lysis. And the condescending asshole who was their immediate superior was "Geru" who in SB was named "Volgar" and is just as unpleasant in the original as he is here.
Schultz and Ganz though are - as you point out - actually somewhat sympathetic. They're "punchclock" villains. They have no personal animosity apparently with the humans, they're just doing their job, as unpleasant as it is. That's NOT how they were in the original, where they were far more "cartoonish" and cardstock villainous. I like these changes a LOT. They add a lot of depth to a series that already had a lot to begin with.
One of the more interesting bits was Schultz apparently wishing the "Terons" had just surrendered like his people did so they could all go on living.
WHAT? You mean that was actually any kind of OPTION at some point? Or is Schultz just out of the loop on the big plans for Earth?
Logan Darklighter Wrote:I don't know why, but I get the impression that he just LIKES using the handheld binocs. Nobody else seems to use them. It may be just a personal thing with him?
They do seem to be a high tech item themselves and not just a set of lenses. Maybe they're almost as good at Mark 1 eyeball enhancement as the ship sensors? Maybe he just wants a personal view and doesn't want to take time and resources away from the sensors/tactical ops guy? (I think that's "Eager" to use the Star Blazers name for him - the slightly portly guy in the green on white who sits on the far right next to Sandor and Nova).
Or, as I said last time it came up, it strikes me as bascily an augmented reality viewer that displays what the ship sensors show on that bering via a portable view device so Tactical can be thinking about the Tactics, rather than bugging the other section heads for what he needs.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Kurisu

Just got done watching, and all I can say is....

Wow....
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...
So white-haired girl is actually a genderflip of one of the original pilots...?

Dr. Sado's behavior is much less entertaining in a more realistic setting. Drunk on duty and ignoring basic safety precautions? BAD DOCTOR! BAD! *whack*

I love the way they talk about "shores" and "seas" and so forth.

And the floating continent gets a halfway believable explanation!
Evil Midnight Lurker Wrote:So white-haired girl is actually a genderflip of one of the original pilots...?
SORT of. What was believed at first was that she was a gender-flip of Yamamoto. Who in Star Blazers you knew as Hardy. He's the one who had the constant hair over one eye. (Later in the 90s the official Star Blazers comics gave him a full name of Jefferson Davis Hardy. Obviously playing on his whole "southern" accent that the Westchester dub team gave him.)
Well her family name is still Yamamoto. But apparently she's the SISTER of the same character - who in this version died off-screen before the series began.
Just my personal speculation, but I think one possible reason (but not the only one) for doing it this way is to defuse speculation about whether or when she would die. The original Yamamoto died in combat against the Comet Empire (taking a missile meant for Kodai by interposing his Cosmo Tiger in the way.) This happened in both the movie and series versions (in the series using the exact same animation from the movie). (This was obviously cut from Star Blazers, as were many of the other character deaths.)
Well he's already gone now. And with the role taken by his sister, Yamamoto Akira, the writers are more free to do whatever they feel is needed. This works both ways BTW - she might not be killed in the Comet Empire story (assuming the new series gets that far). But then again, the writers are free to kill her off in THIS story. So yeah - I'd say some characters have plot armor (Kodai, Yuki, Shima, etc) and others most definitely do NOT.
Quote:Dr. Sado's behavior is much less entertaining in a more realistic
setting. Drunk on duty and ignoring basic safety precautions? BAD
DOCTOR! BAD! *whack*
During the warp? Sure. But I see it kinda like M.A.S.H. Like Hawkeye and crew, I think he only considers himself "on duty" when he actually has patients or is anticipating them. And then he snaps to and gets properly to work. (And if he needs a few minutes on short notice to sober up/purge his system, he's got nurses now for triage.)  Hey - I'm not saying I approve. I'm just rationalizing. >.>
Quote:I love the way they talk about "shores" and "seas" and so forth.
I wonder if that's literal or a translation bias? If this were being converted to Star Blazers, I'd wager that might get toned down/eliminated. Then again - wet navy in space. I remember at the end of My Youth in Arcadia as Harlock sneers at the transmission of the Earth President about how now that Harlock and the other "troublemakers" have left the planet, they are free to create their own paradise (under the aegis of the Illumidas occupiers).
Harlock: "Dance all you want on your small Earth, we have all of space as our sea!"
So yeah. Willing to cut them some slack/suspend my disbelief for that. Smile
Quote:And the floating continent gets a halfway believable explanation!
Yeah, I liked that a lot! There's all kind of subtle touches like that in the new series!
And I'm "wondering" if it's a salute to ... anything ... that the girl with white hair and reddish eyes, though named Akira, is nicknamed "Rei."  Hmmmm?
So the pink-skinned Gamilas need to prove themselves in battle to get promoted from second-class citizens and be treated as more nearly "equal" to blue-skins.  Doesn't that sound familiar....
I'm presuming the varying colors of UNCF uniforms are branch/department codings.  Has anyone seen a listing that spells out what color means what area of work?   
Edit:  XO Sanada should watch out; the Engineering Intel officer seems to have her eye on him.  A quality she likes about him, uh-huh....  Speaking of Sanada and eyes, what is it with his?
I'd been thrown by Shultz using the term "zupist" a couple of times ... and then he spoke of "the sixth planet, zedan," and I realized these are uncapitalized variants of our names for Jupiter and Saturn.
-----
DHBirr Wrote:I'm presuming the varying colors of UNCF uniforms are branch/department codings.  Has anyone seen a listing that spells out what color means what area of work?   
Haha... sorry. I'm amused at myself for never even considering there would be people who wouldn't know about this. But of course many won't! This show is bringing in lots of new fans who don't have the background on the old series and assumptions! I'm sure the uniform colors and other things are spelled out on one of the new official websites and such, but until things get translated, here's what I know based on the old series (and some online sources of new material). So far most of it tracks directly to the new series:
So - pic of all the crew members we've seen so far:
[Image: 69616.JPG]
And here's the explanation for all the color-coding:
Captain Okita - well - he's the CAPTAIN. Duh! He's the dude in THE HAT. If you have THE HAT you don't NEED color coding! ^_^
Ahem. Moving along...

Red trim on White = Tactical Group. Kodai (Wildstar) of course. He's the head of Tactical group. And Nambu (Dash) who sits behind and to his left on the bridge is also part of Tactical. Nambu is in charge of the main guns and targeting and is subordinate directly to Kodai. If Kodai is off in his Cosmo Zero interceptor, then Nambu is directly in charge and reports to Captain Okita. Tactical group are the gunners and artillery men on the ship. If there are shots of crewmen operating the guns or missile/torpedo stations, they'll be in the Tactical group colors. Tactical group also has some overlap in training with the air group and can fly fighters and support craft. You'll often see them as pilots (especially of support craft) if it's not a "Black Tiger" flying.

Green trim on White = Navigation and sensors.  This is the group Shima (Venture) is the head of. Ota (Eager), also part of this group, sits over on the far right of the bridge behind Sandor and Nova. Duties are mostly self-explanatory. Handles the navigation and piloting of the Yamato herself. Also handles what you'd think of as "tactical plotting". Ota (Eager) is a pretty busy guy, really! He's the one who puts together all the data and throws it up on the main screen for people to see. (Yuki (Nova) might be the one reading the actual radar (more on that below), but she and Ota theoretically are working together to plot where the ship is and where the enemy is.) On the old show, the 2nd bridge was mostly devoted to these guys. (Kind of like the backroom guys at Mission Control Houston who were NOT in the main room at the famous consoles.)
Blue trim on White = Technology. Also pretty obvious, especially from context. Sanada's (Sandor) group. Everything Spock did on the Enterprise, Sanada and the guys in blue do here. Oversees scientific analysis, information analysis, development, and
engineering. (Other than the technology leader, Sanada also holds the post of
first mate to Captain Okita.) The duties and responsibilities of Technology group overlap a lot with the Engineering group. Sanada and Tokugawa (Orion) used to work together pretty closely on the old show. Not sure if they're more separate here or not, yet. You might see guys in the Blue and White mixed in with the guys in Orange on White (Engineering) if they show shots of crew repairing the ship.
(Also - Sandor has funny eyes, yes. His eyes look funny because he's got no eyebrows. And they've always drawn him that way. It may be related to his... But if you don't know about him yet... hmmm... maybe I shouldn't spoil things. Besides - I don't know 100% if they're going to do the same thing with him here that they did in the original. So... )
Black on Dark Blue = Intelligence. Apparently this is a new subdivision invented for 2199. Kaoru Niimi (Hot chick with the glasses with an eye on Sanada) is part of this group and her specialties include enemy tactical and data analysis. (She also has a doctorate in psychology and acts as the ship's counselor.)
Orange on White = Engineering. Everything that has directly to do with the Wave Motion Engine, the two Auxiliary Engines, and propulsion of the Yamato in general (this includes things like the attitude jets.) Tokugawa (Orion) is Chief Engineer, just as he was in the original. Not a complicated guy. But has a LOT of experience. And much of it was with Captain Okita.
Engineering also works with Technology on Damage control. And Yamazaki (who in the original show, appeared as Chief Engineer after the Comet Empire storyline) is Assistant Engineer and head of Damage control. (Boy, did YOU pick a position with job security, buddy!)
One note related to both Technology and Engineering groups, because they
both have overlapping duties in regards to servicing and repairing it;
The Yamato, in addition to having artificial gravity inside the ship
(except apparently in the hanger bay, where they leave it turned off
most of the time) also has a "mass cancellation" system that masks a
significant portion of the ships mass. This is why those tiny attitude
jets can steer something huge like the Yamato. Between the gravity
control and the mass cancellation, this is how and why the Yamato can
make planetary landings and rest lightly on the ground when they're not
floating in water (and NOT crush the third bridge!).
Black on Yellow = Operations Division, headed by Yuki Mori (Nova). Operations seems to be kind of a "catch-all" or miscellaneous section that covers ship duties and responsibilities that aren't covered by the other more tightly defined divisions. That's the way it was in the original show, and that's the way it appears to be in 2199 as well. As an example of the varied duties Operations can cover, note that in addition to the various duties Yuki covers, including radar (more of which, below), Aihara the communications (radio) operator is also part of this group. And when Akira Yamamoto first boarded the ship, she was assigned as an ensign in the accounting division and wore the black on yellow of Operations. And Hajime Hirata who manages the food supply is ALSO part of Operations!
And Yuki (Nova) - wow... She is "leader of ship affairs in charge of information, electronics,
communications, coding, hull demagnetization. Air Captain First Class in
charge of radar and radio communications on the first bridge." That's an impressive resume! But at least it all seems to tie in with a similar technological background.
And in the original show she was ALSO Dr. Sado's nurse! I think they made a wise decision to at least take the medical duties off her hands and give them to another character. Probably the only reason she was also shown as a nurse in the original was due to cultural and gender attitudes of the time and the fact that Producer Nishizaki flat out ordered the writers and animators not to show any other female crew after he saw the finished version of episode 10!  (That was the farewell to Earth episode)  Thankfully we have a new generation doing the show that's a little more reasonable and realistic about such things.
Speaking of nurses -
Black on Pink is apparently a uniform worn ONLY by Makoto Harada, the rather... spathic... young woman who serves as Nurse (and nursemaid... >.>)  to Dr Sado. She's apparently a civilian assigned to the medical division.
Medical Division apparently has no official colors other than Red Cross on White. (Or white cross on red, as it appears here.)
Yellow on Black = Space Combat Fighter Squadron. (Otherwise known from the previous version of the show as the "Black Tigers". I haven't seen any reference to the name "Black Tigers" in the new show yet. So the reference is only in regard to the original.) Saburu Kato (Conroy) is head of this group. Later on, Yamamoto (Akira - or "Rei") joins them officially, after being transferred from accounting after she provided unauthorized (and spectacular!) fire-support/rescue of Kodai, Yuki, Makoto and AU-9 ("Analyzer") on Enceladeus (sp?).
Black on Grey = Security Division. This is a completely NEW division invented for 2199 and has a couple of minor characters (Shinya Itou and Toru Hoshina) shown to be a part of it. Security is the military police - the MPs. Pretty obvious.
And as to whether or not White Hair and red eyes nicknamed "Rei" is a shout-out... Well... let's just say that when we got to the "Rei" bit, I face-palmed. But in a good way. Big Grin
Is it just me, or all the women in the pictured crew wearing tight body suits while the men have the usual jacket and trousers uniform?
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
It's not just you.
Consider it one of the hold-overs in fanservice from the original.
If it helps, here's some interesting info:  In the original series, crewmen doing EVA and space fighter Pilots were portrayed as wearing distinctive spacesuits. But as of the Comet Empire (Movie and TV series 2) an interesting thing happened. The basic uniforms were portrayed as short-duration spacesuits on their own. You just donned gloves, boots, and helmet and sealed it.
Yuki didn't even have to don boots. Just the gloves and helmet.
Of course this was never explained outright. But there was some fan-spec both here and in Japan on it. We (fans) assumed that the helmet had a short duration air supply and recycle system built in. And that the grey gloves and boots were adhesive or electrostatic-ally bonded etc. to the basic uniform - which itself was supposed to have enough layers/insulation etc. to serve as a spacesuit.
The original male uniform was - other than the bell-bottom pants and sleeve-cuffs, pretty tight-fitting. So it didn't seem too much of a stretch to assume that the knee-high boots and elbow length gloves would secure those problem areas. And the female uniform had even less problems than that!
Any arguments that this was unrealistic were a bit hard to make in light of all the other things about the show that didn't exactly adhere to hard science.
"Hey! It's THE FUTURE! Advanced materials! They have anti-gravity! It's
a BATTLESHIP IN SPACE... you're going to argue about the spacesuits?"
Tongue
The main thing with a space suit in terms of pressure is that it has to keep the human body from expanding in vacuum. Modern space and pressure suits do this via by pressurizing the the body with the breathing gas itself. Which means modern era space suits are pretty bulky.
Ironically, a skin-tight spacesuit is even now in the works! Has been for a few years actually. As it says in the article:

Quote:"A space suit is almost a spacecraft in itself - it provides life
support, pressurization, thermal control, micrometeorite protection and
other functions necessary to keep the astronaut alive," says Liang Sim, a
researcher in the MVL. "Current spacesuits pressurize the body using
the breathing gas inside the suit, which limits mobility, complicates
functions such as temperature control and moisture removal, and carries
the risk of a catastrophic failure in the event of puncture."

The suit being developed by MIT and Midé, by contrast, would use a
skin-tight weave of controllable materials to maintain surface pressure.
Additional layers could then be added to perform other functions such
as radiation protections and temperature control. This could provide
more mobility and comfort, increase safety, and lower cost.

“Building a skin-like layer that maintains pressure mechanically
allows you to create additional layers that can be donned more like
clothing, quickly replaced or repaired.” Says former astronaut and
Principle Investigator on the MIT portion of the grant, Jeffrey Hoffman.
“This has the potential to revolutionize operations.”

All of which - I KNOW - utterly fails to explain the disparity of the uniforms.
But I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
-Logan
--------------------
...And run my lecherous ass off in the other direction. Tongue
--------------------
Quote:Sandor has funny eyes, yes. His eyes look funny because he's got no eyebrows.
Actually, his eyes look funny to me because they're almost all white; if he's got irises at all, they're hardly larger than way-dilated pupils.  And I looked up the character list on Wikipedia, so I know if that's accurate and this version doesn't change it, Kodai's irritated speculation about a "computer human" isn't entirely off the mark.
Mooses gracious for the run-down on the color-coding.  When you spell it out like that, there aren't as many different combinations as it seemed to my confused eyes.  Although still more, and more obtrusive, than I would've expected for what's supposed to be all the same military.... 
As it happens, I'm one of those who never watched the original series -- I saw the tail end of one episode from, I think, the Comet Empire portion (I remember a short, stocky senior officer with a kind of gravelly tenor voice understating the current desperate situation as "That's bad," and then Wildstar having a bit of a breakdown:  "Our Earth ... what's to become of her?").  For whatever reason, it didn't grab me at the time.
And Jerry Pournelle has used the skin-tight suit in stories since the Seventies.
Incidentally, if by "third bridge" you're talking about that pod beneath the ship, I hadn't wondered about crushing it, I'd wondered why high-speed landings, especially on hard surfaces (I'm looking at you, floating continent!  And they did it again on the ice crust over Pluto's ocean!) didn't grind the thing right off!
-----
DHBirr Wrote:As it happens, I'm one of those who never watched the original series -- I saw the tail end of one episode from, I think, the Comet Empire portion (I remember a short, stocky senior officer with a kind of gravelly tenor voice understating the current desperate situation as "That's bad," and then Wildstar having a bit of a breakdown:  "Our Earth ... what's to become of her?").  For whatever reason, it didn't grab me at the time.
Well we're all in for a treat, now! ^_^
As for the quotes you mention - the odd thing is that they're not from the same episode. "That's bad." Was Captain Gideon's comment on being told that the Comet Empire's secret weapon (That opened a gate to teleport the massive energies of the spinal mount weapon to near point blank range of it's targets! OY!) Though much less powerful than the Earth Fleet's wave motion guns, out-ranged them by at least 2-1. The Comet Empire fleet could just stay at range and pick off the Earth fleet ship by ship at it's leisure.
"That's bad."  No shit, Captain Gideon!
Give him some credit though, he did find a way to negate that advantage and then his ship the Andromeda and the rest of the EDF utterly took apart the Comet Empire fleet!
(But then the mothership itself comes in and kinda ruins the whole damn day... )
"Our Earth ... what's to become of her?"  Comes from the episode where WIldstar and Desslok have their showdown. Which Desslok wins by default - WIldstar collapsing through bloodloss before either of them can take a shot at the other. The line comes as he is laying on the deck with Nova interposing herself... which leads to one of the greatest face-heel turns of all time on Desslok's part.
Quote:Actually, his eyes look funny to me because they're almost all white; if
he's got irises at all, they're hardly larger than way-dilated pupils. 
And I looked up the character list on Wikipedia, so I know if that's
accurate and this version doesn't change it, Kodai's irritated
speculation about a "computer human" isn't entirely off the mark.
Yeah - I'm -pretty- sure they're going the same route on that. But not sure by how much.
Quote:Mooses gracious for the run-down on the color-coding.  When you spell it
out like that, there aren't as many different combinations as it seemed
to my confused eyes.  Although still more, and more obtrusive, than I
would've expected for what's supposed to be all the same military.... 
All part of the service. (grin) And remember - this show first began airing during the first of the Tokutatsu and "Shogun Warriors" type of Giant Robot era. You know - the whole "Five fight as one!" Superheroics type thing.   RED, BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN, WHITE! (Or pink) You want BRIGHT COLORS? IN YER FACE?
Yeah - it could've been a lot worse. Yamato was positively subdued for the time. Big Grin
Quote:As for the quotes you mention - the odd thing is that they're not from the same episode.
Well, it was 30+ years ago, and as I said, I wasn't that interested at the time (given which, it puzzles me that I caught bits of two episodes). 
Incidentally, have you seen the snippet Pyeknu wrote for "Nano Steps  Brainstorming" in "Future Steps," concerning what might happen if Doug showed up shortly before Yamato's launch?  If not, I recommend you read it, and be prepared to sniffle (in a good way).

Quote:If you have THE HAT you don't NEED color coding!
Und any plan vere you lose you hat iz a bad plan!
The description of the Comet Empire's superweapon is a bit dismaying to me, by the way, because a few years ago (OK, a decade or two) I dreamed up a concept for a weapon working quite similarly, and I was very proud of my "originality."  Now it seems I unwittingly stole the idea.    Quote from my specifications:  "If the weapon is properly registered and the range correctly calculated, the energy bolt comes out of hyperspace, its destructive force unattenuated, inside the target's shield, inside its armor -- inside its hull."  
-----

Kurisu

DHBirr Wrote:Und any plan vere you lose you hat iz a bad plan! 
Someone's a fan of the Jagers....
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...
DHBirr Wrote:Incidentally, have you seen the snippet Pyeknu wrote for "Nano Steps  Brainstorming" in "Future Steps," concerning what might happen if Doug showed up shortly before Yamato's launch?  If not, I recommend you read it, and be prepared to sniffle (in a good way).
I just did... Wow... yes. Very much so. And thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:If you have THE HAT you don't NEED color coding!
Und any plan vere you lose you hat iz a bad plan!
I was HOPING someone would go with the straight line I offered and make the Jager reference! Well done. Big Grin
Amusingly, though in the 2199 version Okita has gone bare-headed a couple of times - in the original 1974 series, there was only ONE time we ever saw Captain Avatar without his captains chapeau firmly atop his head. A brief scene of him in his personal quarters on earth before the launch when he's in bed. (And torso partially wrapped in bandages from his wounds in the Pluto battle.)
Other than that 5 second clip, the hat NEVER leaves his head. NOT ONCE. Even when he's in his SPACE SUIT you can see he has the hat on through the visor! Even when he's being OPERATED ON by Dr. Sane, he has the anesthetic breather on OVER THE HAT!!
Phil Foglio is well-known for being an old-school Yamato fan. In fact he helped pen one of the Comico Star Blazers comics back in the late 80s. Y'think the Jagers might've had the bit with the hats perhaps inspired just a bit by Captain Avatar? ^_^
So does anyone know when the next episodes are going to come?
Pyeknu Wrote:So does anyone know when the next episodes are going to come?
Funny you should ask...
-Logan
--------------------
*brushes a spec of lint from his BNF accolade*
--------------------
DHBirr Wrote:
Quote:As for the quotes you mention - the odd thing is that they're not from the same episode.
Well, it was 30+ years ago, and as I said, I wasn't that interested at the time (given which, it puzzles me that I caught bits of two episodes).  
The hilarious thing is, at roughly the same time as you must have been watching that, I saw a different snippet of that same (second mentioned) episode... the one Logan linked to... and that snippet fried my ten-year-old brain and turned me into a diehard anime fan for life. Smile
I guess it's all in the moment.
--Sam
"Searching for a distant star, heading off to Iscandar..."
I love the touch of the Captain turning his cap around to look through the periscope like something out of a U-boat movie.  It is, again, outrageously retro, but I'll let that slide because it's so funny.
Only noticed in this episode, but it's evidently been there all along that he's got the same kind of mostly-white eyes as Sanada.  Hmmm.  Might this perhaps be explained as having some connection with his illness?

Quote:...at roughly the same time as you must have been watching that, I saw a different snippet of that same (second mentioned) episode... the one Logan linked to... and that snippet fried my ten-year-old brain and turned me into a diehard anime fan for life. Smile
I guess it's all in the moment.
Based on Wikipedia's dates for when the series was broadcast, I was in my early twenties, and trying (without enormous success) to not make too much of a disaster of my final year of college.  I didn't have a great deal of energy and thought to spare.
Edit:  One thought I want to add -- the scenes of chaos aboard the ship, and then abruptly it's fully battle-ready, reminded me of a newspaper column I read long, long ago.  The columnist was talking about Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and said (approximate quote):

Quote:In nearly every episode, somebody, usually an invisible monster from outer space, drops an atomic bomb on the sub, and all heck breaks loose. 
The sub tumbles, end over end...  [Description of equipment tearing loose from walls, fires breaking out, etc.]  Somebody yells, "Close the crash wall!" but not before the invisible monsters invade the ship and kill half the crew.
In the midst of all this carnage, Captain Crane, obviously mortally wounded, crawls to an intercom and asks briskly, "Engine Room, how soon can we be repaired and under way?"
"In about ten minutes," comes the reply from the engine room, where they have evidently been holding a psychedelic dance and haven't noticed that the sub was just a-bombed....
Now this is utter nonsense.  There is six months work to be done on that sub, if they can even raise it from the bottom of the ocean.  As the French would say, It is to laugh.
As I said, this is an approximate quote -- but I found it so funny and memorable when I read it all those years ago that I'm pretty sure it's very close .
-----
DHBirr Wrote:Edit:  One thought I want to add -- the scenes of chaos aboard the ship, and then abruptly it's fully battle-ready, reminded me of a newspaper column I read long, long ago.  The columnist was talking about Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and said (approximate quote):

Quote:In nearly every episode, somebody, usually an invisible monster from outer space, drops an atomic bomb on the sub, and all heck breaks loose. 
The sub tumbles, end over end...  [Description of equipment tearing loose from walls, fires breaking out, etc.]  Somebody yells, "Close the crash wall!" but not before the invisible monsters invade the ship and kill half the crew.
In the midst of all this carnage, Captain Crane, obviously mortally wounded, crawls to an intercom and asks briskly, "Engine Room, how soon can we be repaired and under way?"
"In about ten minutes," comes the reply from the engine room, where they have evidently been holding a psychedelic dance and haven't noticed that the sub was just a-bombed....
Now this is utter nonsense.  There is six months work to be done on that sub, if they can even raise it from the bottom of the ocean.  As the French would say, It is to laugh.
As I said, this is an approximate quote -- but I found it so funny and memorable when I read it all those years ago that I'm pretty sure it's very close .
Here's the funny thing.  If an Arleigh Burke-class DDG is cruising under material condition modified-Zebra (most fittings closed, some left open for convenience and comfort), they can go to being Zebra (all fittings closed, saved for vital ventilation) inside of six or seven minutes.  Four if they're real good.
Now, I can't say exactly what one can tank, but I will say that it's enough to make you go bug-eyed, screaming, "WHY WON'T YOU DIE!?"  And this is just a destroyer.  So long as they don't take a torpedo, a destroyer can tank heinous amounts of damage before they give up the ghost.
Now, apply this to a BATTLESHIP.  Which has more than a foot of armor in the vital spots.  Yeah, I can believe that the Yamato just tanked three direct hits.  And they were honest in showing that they were licking their wounds for a while there.  (Feel bad for the crewmen that got caught in the flooding... sub-zero fluid wash = not a fun way to go.)  The idea they were battle ready in however much time they spent playing dead?  Which was in all likely hood a good hour...  Yeah, I can believe it.
as can I ba. as can I
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Oh, I wasn't calling it "impossible."  I just said the scene reminded me of a funny bit of writing about similar-seeming circumstances (say that five times really fast).
-----
Consider also that this is a vessel that -  if not exactly the same in terms of arrangement and configuration of armor and bulkheads - is built to... let us say... the same STANDARD as... the original Yamato class battleship.
According to wikipedia, when the Yamato was sunk in April 1945 - "From the first attack at 12:37 to the explosion at 14:23, Yamato was hit by at least eleven torpedoes and six bombs. Two more torpedo and bomb hits are possible, but unconfirmed."
Which tracks pretty well with other estimates I've heard over the years that claimed as many as thirteen torpedoes directly hit her. And if her forward magazine hadn't exploded (practically ripping the ship in half right there) she might STILL have remained afloat for many more hours than she did.
BTW - in looking up the above information, you may be amused to note that I started typing out in Google, "what did it take to sink..."  
And Google auto-completed "...the Yamato" for me.
So ah... yeah... ^.^;
Or Bismarck, which was smaller than Yamato, but, according to one source, after the gun crews had been kept up and at their stations all night by repeated destroyer attacks:

Quote:...all three battleships opened fire between 0847 and 0849, with the range at about 16,000 yards...  [Under] the torrent of 14-inch and 16-inch shells which started to pound the Bismarck shortly after 0900 hours....  'By 10.15 the giant battleship had been reduced to a flaming shambles.'
So short of fuel oil were the British battleships ... that Tovey had to break off the action at 1023 and head for home, leaving the wallowing hulk of the Bismarck to be finished off with torpedoes from the cruisers and destroyers.  Even so, she had to be helped on her way by the German engineers in her still-intact engine-rooms, who had ample time to prepare and explode demolition charges.... 
If ever a warship died a Wagnerian death it was Bismarck, scuttled by her own crew after her upper-works were ruined and her guns all knocked out, suffering certainly eight and possibly twelve torpedo-hits (out of a total launched at her, be it noted, of seventy-one).  The British crews who fought the Bismarck marvelled at the fighting spirit of her crew against such terrifying odds, and at the fearful amount of punishment which their ship endured.
                    -- Hitler's High Seas Fleet, Richard Humble, Ballantine's Illustrated History of the Violent Century, 1971
Edit:  corrected a typo I hadn't spotted in time ... and while I was at it, broke up the second paragraph to make that block of text easier to read.
-----
Pages: 1 2