Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Yamato 2199 Mecha Designer's Blog has some AMAZING pictures!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BTW - in case you guys are interested, this is the URL of a blog from one of the mecha designers of 2199. He often posts pics of schematics and real finished images from his works on the show. Sometimes he posts speculative ideas about how to design certain things. 

What's really convenient is that he posts both in Japanese AND in English! His English is not perfect. He may be using a translator program. But it's clear enough to get the gist of what he's talking about, particularly on some of the more technical items. And since you're going there for the mechanical stuff anyway, that's just fine. 

What's REALLY cool about his site though, is his design work that is based off of the design aesthetic from both the classic and new series, but is obviously not ever going to be "official". He likes to take designs and push them to the Nth degree. Or speculate on what a ship design would look like in the far future of the Yamato Universe. Or he posts pictures of specialized craft like recon planes, fast attack destroyers and battleships. Command ships bristling with antennae but few weapons. Missile boats. Space submarines. And other things. 

Here's a few examples of some of the best of his recent works and some of his earlier schematic speculations. 

This is a speculation on whether the engine room diameter should be one size or the next larger diameter. From his blog, he thinks the larger diameter works better because the observation cab at the top doesn't "clip" or have to be recessed into the ceiling and he thinks the outer fighter hanger carousel still fits around it.  

[Image: DER2199.jpg?d=a848]

Here below he's talking about all the various differences in the visual design and representation of the Gamilas Attack carrier as it has appeared each time from the first 1974 season onward. I had NO IDEA that it basically had been practically a different design each time!

[Image: th_CCGamilasCAC.jpg]

Long before he and the other designers figured out the new "carousel" design of the 2199 hanger, he was trying to reconcile how the hanger worked in the original show. 
[Image: th_CT2Hanger.jpg]

And later on, how it might make more sense to do it the way that the 2520 Yamato designed by Syd Mead did it. (Frankly, I think this method was HORRIBLY vulnerable in combat and I'm glad they went with the carousel and catapult launch from the ramp as they did in the final version.) 
[Image: th_landingport.jpg]

Here, he's just goofing around having fun. ^_^
[Image: th_2220ships.jpg]

Speaking of goofing around here he's having fun with the idea of making the P-51 Mustang design into a space fighter. Yet - strangely, I REALLY like the end result! (I mean, hey, if you can make a WWII Battleship into a Space Battleship, why not?)
[Image: th_SF51Ps.jpg]

The 18th Yamato in 2520 was famously designed by Syd Mead. But there was a 17th Yamato shown very briefly (like a few seconds). And here's his extrapolation based on the design sketches and what little was actually seen in the anime.
[Image: th_17thYAMATO_08beta.jpg]

This is a speculative design idea for a possible "Post 3rd Season Yamato" Dessler battleship. (TWO Desslok cannons!)
[Image: th_ZoldialGamilasai.jpg]

Below is one of the designs he did for the Earth Defense Forces ships to appear alongside the classic "Okita" Battleship at the battle of Pluto in the opening episode. 
[Image: th_M21933yukyu.jpg]

This one did NOT make the final cut, but I wish it had! It's obviously a variation on the Yukikaze (Paladin). 
[Image: th_M20551Abukuma.jpg]

Another pre-wave-motion engine EDF ship that didn't make the cut. I can't believe how he takes an old "clunky" design aesthetic and makes it COOL.
[Image: th_M21936Glorious.jpg]

And another one...
[Image: th_M22522USSLangley.jpg]

Again - I'm not sure if these are official designs or not. But DAMN do they look cool. 
[Image: th_Gamilasian_Aircrafts.jpg]

Here's an excellent example of one of his Non-Yamato ships that's obviously still informed by the basic "space battleship" idea, yet makes it look like an entirely new concept. This is the U.S.S. Alan B. Shepard
[Image: th_USS_Alan_B_Shepard.jpg]

I think this one is from the same "universe" as the above. The U.S.S. Cleveland
[Image: th_USSCLEVELAND.jpg]

And then he goes into the FAR future of the Yamato universe. 
[Image: th_Eukleides0074.jpg]

Remember Harlock's blue version of the Arcadia? That had a BLADE in the front of the ship for ramming? Here's a different pirate ship that takes that idea to it's logical extreme. 
[Image: th_BlackSunPirateShips.jpg]

A speculation on a future Earth space fighter extrapolating from the Cosmo Tiger from Yamato 2nd season, Comet Empire. 
[Image: th_SCCF66saiunkai.jpg]

"HMAS Great Barrier Reef Space High Mobility Battleship"
And he's NOT KIDDING about the high mobility! Where most ships have reaction control thrusters, this thing has ENGINE mounts! Imagine a Space Battleship version of a Star Fury from Babylon 5! YOW!
[Image: th_SBB223GBR.jpg]

SBB 277 North Carolina
[Image: th_SBB277USSNorthCarolina.jpg]

SBB 351 Sleipnir Space High Speed Battleship - another speculation on future design in the Yamato-verse
[Image: th_SBB351SleipnirL.jpg]

SBB 1651 Richelieu
[Image: th_SBB1651Richelieu.jpg]

Pretty sure the following is his take on Yamato 2nd season cruisers. 
[Image: th_SBBX004.jpg]

SCAE 077 Mauna Kea Deep Space Exploration Cruiser (I guess here he's thinking about part of the future history where there's relative peace and time for some actual scientific exploration. This cruiser actually has an almost "Star Trek" feel to it with all the windows along the sides. But they still have the big guns ready to kick ass if necessary. Captain Kirk would approve.) 
[Image: th_SCAE077MAUNAKEA.jpg]

SDD Libeccio - Pretty sure this idea is from the Yamato 2520 timeline. 
[Image: th_SDD5275Libeccio.jpg]

But seriously - do go to his site and poke around. The guy does some amazing work. Finding some of these pictures of his does mean searching way WAY back into his blog history. But it's well worth it IMO. 

Also - you might get some interesting tidbits about upcoming Yamato 2199 stuff in the works!
Wow. That's incredible and impressive, both the work and the time that must have gone into it all. Thanks for posting all this, Rob.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Wow. That's incredible and impressive, both the work and the time that must have gone into it all. Thanks for posting all this, Rob.
Rob? Tongue
At least there was one Canadian name at that website, the Alberta.
Logan Darklighter Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Wow. That's incredible and impressive, both the work and the time that must have gone into it all. Thanks for posting all this, Rob.
Rob? Tongue  
  Sorry, Logan.  I have no excuse for that.
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Logan Darklighter Wrote:
Rob? Tongue  
  Sorry, Logan.  I have no excuse for that.
Bad day at work, Bob?
Very busy, and I was very tired. Home is just as bad right now.
-- Bob
---------
It's okay Bob. Not like I haven't done it before myself. I'm just raggin' on ya. Big Grin
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Very busy, and I was very tired. Home is just as bad right now.
Well, don't overdo it.  I know how being tired can affect people. *thumbs up*