Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Butchering my baby...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have once again had to learn the hardest lesson one must learn to be an author: when to cut the passage that you think is unspeakably cool and perfect, because it ruins the rest of the scene. I had this chunk about about 2K, maybe less, which I wrote literally years ago. It was the axis around which Doug's departure scene was planned. And in going over that scene, which I wrote this weekend, and which I was editing and revising last night, I realized that it just no longer fit. The passage pushed the whole scene far, far over the top. So I had to get rid of it.
'Scuse me whilst I huddle in the corner and weep for what might have been...

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.

The Wanderer

If you really want to, you can put it on display later as an omake. I'm sure your devoted fans would appreciate the alternate take on the segment, whether or not they agree that it needed to be removed.
It really wouldn't work as an omake, not in the sense that the concept has developed into... but I have been keeping a file of discards, or at least most of my discards, and I might toss them up on my site at some point.

-- Bob
---------
I know the feeling and commiserate.- "I suppose that, technically, the existance of the Association of Foul Sorcerers is my fault, but, damnit, I was joking when I told them that they should unionize!"
[Image: Aleh.jpg]

Jeanne Hedge

Quote:
I have been keeping a file of discards, or at least most of my discards, and I might toss them up on my site at some point
Think of your story as a special edition DVD. Then you can make these bits and pieces available as the DVD Extras - deleted scenes and alternate endings. WinkJeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

The Wanderer

In fact I was thinking of "omake" in its more original sense; I was looking for a term to use, found myself wanting to say "bonus piece", and realized...
Anyway, if you do decide to make the extras (hey! another case of almost the same meaning!) available at some point, I'll be glad to see them.
I figured as much. I'm sure people will enjoy the three aborted alternate openings to a certain scene, too...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:
I figured as much. I'm sure people will enjoy the three aborted alternate openings to a certain scene, too...
is this the infamous 'bathtub' scene? Smile
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Wha...?
Bathtub scene?
To what, may I ask, are you referring?

-- Bob
---------

cpt kangarooski

There's no bathtub scene? Dammit, go back and add one in!
Can't believe I've been putting up with this fic for years and there's not even going to be a bathtub scene.
I have the sneaking suspicion that I've just been set up.
Okay, okay, I've got a hole in Quincy's arc, I suppose I can fill it with a scene of him in a bathtub... The things I do to satisfy my readers...

-- Bob
---------

WengFook

you sir have a very very VERY wicked sense of humor.... I like it! Tongue
Bathtub scene?
To what, may I ask, are you referring?
it's a well-known practice for a scene with a bathtub and a hot chick to be included in the extras of all good movies, provided the movie is set in a time/place that has the technology for both hot chick and bathtubs. as an established sci-fi nut, i expected you to know this.
(a shower can be substituted for a bathtub, but only if the camera follows the loofa)
Smile
----
----
Lisa's already done a shower, early in the story, so I think we've got that covered.

-- Bob
---------
Smile That just brings to mind a Marvel RPG a friend ran, where AIM, the evil genius supernerd group reprogrammed the Vision to be their spy in the Avengers mansion. Along the way, since they were an evil genius group collectively hard up for dates, they had him use his phasing power to peep on girls.
You don't have to have a shower scene in *every* anime. Just now and then. ^o^

cpt kangarooski

Probably the most gratuitous one that springs to mind is from the Dirty Pair -- Project Eden movie.
The DP are investigating a recent monster attack. While gathering information an ore refining plant falls on them (not their fault) and gets them dirty. After arriving at the scene they poke around for about thirty seconds before finding the bath and settling in. Then to top it off, they end up losing their uniforms, such as they are, for pretty much the entire rest of the movie.
Of course, the movie gets many, many points for the way they introduce the chief villain, Professor Wattsman.
Quote:
Of course, the movie gets many, many points for the way they introduce the chief villain, Professor Wattsman.
...who is a complete and utter lunatic.
(hey, cpt, did you do some art for my Chessmen series a while back after being annoyed at me using an animated gif for a promo piece? I vaguely remember it, and I know I still have it around somewhere, and if so, I don't think I ever properly thanked you for it.)Brazil has decided you're cute.

cpt kangarooski

Quote:
[Professor Wattsman] ...who is a complete and utter lunatic
Don't dis Wattsman. He wears virtual reality helmets while relaxing au naturale in one of those pits filled up with plastic balls. Is that something a lunatic would do?

Re: pictures, yeah, that was me. Man, that was just forever ago. I had forgotten all about that. Did you write any more of that?