Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Bubblegum Crisis - Warsaw 2077?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ladies and gentleman, I give you A.D.Police - the game!.... (Except it's actually a trailer for a new game by polish developers cdprojekt red the people behind the witcher games in which you are part of an elite police team that hunts down dangerous psychos-people who have overdosed on artificial enhancements and tech untill they lose thier humanity and go on insane destructive rampages in a futuristic cyberpunk dytsopia)

(Sorry for the double post btw)
MaxTac/CyberPsycho Squads are part of the original tabletop Cyberpunk game as well, so I imagine that that's also an influence.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

dark seraph

GIMME!

Ransan

Ebony Wrote:MaxTac/CyberPsycho Squads are part of the original tabletop Cyberpunk game as well, so I imagine that that's also an influence.
It's not just an influrence. This IS Cyberpunk. This is Night City. That IS MaxTec. And the game developers are working with Mike Pondsmith. THE man that wrote the Cyberpunk Pen and Paper game. And Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 And Cyberpunk v3, but let's not talk about that.
In 1996 I was introduced to Cyberpunk by my friend Bob, though I had just met him at the time (he was president of the Madison Area Technical College's RPG Club, which I had just joined). I was already familiar with the genre, having been a GM for FASA's Shadowrun since 1991 (I'd been playing since 88-89). The campaign we started essentially caused me to drop out of College, as instead of going to class, we sat in the cafeteria and gamed. We had a campaign run from 1996-1999 that was played virtually every weekday, and we had several shorter campaigns after that. Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 is one of the two table top games editions I own every suppliment book for, and still have them on my bookcase. Heck, I have 2-3 copies of the main book.
This is the game that took me from casual gamer to hardcore gamer.I just heard this was coming out about 2-3 hours ago. I haven't stopped squeeing since.
Oooh I had no idea of the backstory! The fact it has legitimate P&PRPG pedigree just makes it more awesome!

Ransan

Now, mind you, Mike Pondsmith is on record as being a big fan of anime, the giant robot genre (as seen by two of his earlier PnP releases "Teenagers from Outer Space" and "Mekton") as well as the original '80s Bubblegum Crisis (Mike's Company, R. Talsorian Games, is the company that did the PnP version of Bubblegum Crisis). While his primary influences was the novels of Bruce Bethke, William Gibson, and the movie "Blade Runner", elements of the"Ghost in the Shell" manga and "Bubblegum Crisis" were no doubt influential to his creation of the Cyberpunk world.
Don't expect to see this before Q4 2013 though, if that soon. Expected date of publishing is 'when it's ready.'

Good for quality, not so much for timely delivery.

Ransan

Actually, it's worse than that. Wikipedia says it's expected to be released in 2015.

Ransan

Only thing better would be an MMO version. O_O.
If you pause the video at the just the right moment, towards the end, you can see this:
(Spoiled for wideness.)
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
In addition to all of the above, Mike Pondsmith's other job for a while was for Microsoft's game division, and worked on the Xbox version of Crimson Skies. So, he knows the computer game market.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."