Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: You know, I should have asked this 10 months ago...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know of a Windows personal finance application that can read Microsoft Money 1998 files?  Failing that, does anyone know where I can get a copy of Microsoft Money 1998?  I have a CD, somewhere -- it's just been misplaced for at least a year.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Can "Microsoft Money Plus Sunset" read the files?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
To the best of my knowledge, no.

At least that's what I recall from first looking into it; I'd be very happy to find out I'm wrong.
-- Bob
---------
My brother asked me something similar a few months ago. He needed something to read Microsoft Money 2005 files. To quote the email:
"I downloaded this file from the page:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/m ... 4fc6e1e5c3

following the link:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... E2.exe.exe

I'm not sure if it's what you want, but the description of the link
looks like what you want, it's from a microsoft website and my antivirus
wasn't upset about it. I tried running it and got a runnable piece of
software on my computer. Let me know if it's what you need."
Does anything there help?
Microsoft Money Plus Sunset is free to use. If it won't open the file you can try and convert the data file using Microsoft Money 2005 as an intermediary. Once you get it opening you might look into exporting it and using GnuCash, if it has what you need.
Thank you, folks. That's exactly the kind of advice I need. I haven't followed the links yet, but as soon as I get the time, I will, and see if it works.

And yes, I do want to move to something else that has all the features I want. Not that I was using a lot of Money 1998's features, but hey.
-- Bob
---------
I went looking because I specifically remember Money being pre-installed on the old '99-Vintage Gateway PC that shuffled off to oblivion last year. I thought it might've been Money 98 because of the year but it's not. That said, I do have a Money 2000 disk if that's of any use to you. It's an OEM disk, with Works 2000 and Picture IT! Express 2000 on it. But it installs and run on an x64 Windows 7 laptop. I didn't do much with it but it seems functional and doesn't need a key.

I'm not certain about compatibility, I came across this article that suggests different localisations of Money might not get along with each other: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304254

But if you'd like to try it, I should be able to send it.
Edit:  Mm.  Reading the page Jinx links to, I can see that even if I had the 1998 (or 2000!) install disk, it would do me no good.  I've been running on a 64-bit machine since last spring...  Might be time to bite the bullet and just start over.  But first, let's make the experiment.
Edit2:  And no, Money 2005 can't cope with Money 1998's files, in the grand Microsoft tradition.
-- Bob
---------
It wouldn't be that hard to get an XP virtual machine up and running, you know.  M$ offers the image you need free for download, and a program like VirtualPC can just mount and run it.  From there, you could just drop the files in, do the Money install, and probably get results.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
I run a 64-bit system. 2000 seemed to install and run fine for me, but I didn't get too far into the program, I just made a cursory check of it.

Virtualisation might be the best option though if you're really concerned about it. Virtualbox should have no problems installing Windows 2000. 98 can be a bit hairy to get working again. (Which is even funnier because I have booted to Windows 98 DOS mode natively on this thing, off a USB key to update firmware)

The Windows XP Mode will only work with Windows 7 Pro' and Ultimate, as far as I know.

Thanks for the help and advice, folks.
-- Bob
---------