Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: RIP Annette Funicello
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/08/annette-f ... ead-at-70/

When I was in my early teens (middle 1970s), Disney pulled the original Mickey Mouse Club out of the vault and put it back on the air -- I guess it must have been syndicated or something, I don't know. And I was at just the right age to fall for early-teen Annette like a million guys a generation earlier...

And I have to admit that I love that her last work before she fully retired was http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092608/]Back to the Beach, a very self-knowing, let's-all-have-fun-together tribute/parody/sequel to the beach movies she did in the 1960s (and in one wonderful moment, of her Skippy peanut butter commercials, too). Any film with Frankie, Annette, Gilligan, the Skipper, Peewee Herman, Johnny "I Want My Two Dollars!" Gasparini, Connie Stevens, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Fishbone, Dick Dale, Edd "Kookie" Byrnes, Tony Dow, Jerry Mathers, Barbara Billingsley, and Don Adams can't be anything but fun.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I have only vague memories of watching the Club.  On the other hand, I have a Garfield comic strip in which Jon finds Garfield watching the show, and mocks him for it ... and the cat's thoughts reveal that he does so due to PSL:  "Shake it, Annette."  Recalling that is always good for a snicker.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I've never seen Ms. Funicello in anything, but I just checked the IMDB page linked above, and am intensely amused at her character therein being named Annette.