Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Crusader Kings 2 (and All Released DLCs) Amazon Sale
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, Amazon has an 88% off sale going for a Crusader Kings 2 bundle with all the DLCs (save for the new one that comes out next week).  If you haven't heard of Crusader Kings 2, it is a 4x grand strategy game where you play as a dynasty in medieval Europe, from 1066 to 1453 (867-1453 with next week's DLC), in which you can create and play out alternate histories.  For example, I'm currently midway into a game as the Ziani family of the Republic of Venice, a merchant republic instead of the normal feudal system, in which I've managed to gain control of Jerusalem (and the surrounding area), and the Strait of Gibraltar.*  The game is ridiculously addictive, to the point where I have over 300 hours logged on it on Steam, after starting playing it about two or three months ago.  Plus, as I said, Amazon has it for incredibly cheap, only fifteen dollars for the game and all the DLCs, while Steam has the base game alone for forty dollars.
Also, if anyone does end up getting it, and is interested, I'd like to try out the multiplayer mode at some point.  (If this comes to pass, I'd start a thread over in The Legendary.)
There are some good LPs floating around youtube, if you want to take a look before you decide.  I personally recommend Quill18's LP, as that is what introduced me to the game myself. (It is slightly out of date though, as the ability to play as non-Christians has since been added to the game.)
*I have SO MUCH money... 
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Own it, and the DLC, but have yet to really get into it.  I second the recommendation, though, and also recommend Kersch's CK2 LP (http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/).  Very informative, though also dated in a number of ways.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Did a bit more digging, and it looks like it might be a good idea to wait until Tuesday if you decide to get this, on the off chance that they decide to add the new DLC to the bundle, as that is the new DLC's release date. The sale itself goes through the 31, so there might be a chance that it could be added.
Edit:Looks like it wasn't added, but everything else that isn't associated with the new DLC is still on sale, so it is still very much worth it.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Just as a reminder, today is the last day of Amazon's game sale. (Turns out they have a ton of other games on sale too, not just CK2.)
-----

khagler

The company that makes Crusader Kings 2, Paradox, has a bunch of other games with similar mechanics covering different time periods: Europa Universalis 3 (1399-1820), Victoria 2 (1836-1936), and Hearts of Iron 3 (1936-1948). They're all pretty good.
Europa Universalis 4 is coming out this fall/winter, and it looks amazing.
-----
So, bought this from the Steam sale (only 75% off) based on the LPs mentioned here.  Its a fun game, although my first attempt lasted all the way into 1069. I've since started another game that's made it up to 1083 and am still going strong.
Thanks for pointing this out Jorlem.

-- 
I picked up a Magic 8-Ball the other day and it said 'Outlook not so good.'
I said 'Sure, but Microsoft still ships it.'
              -- Anonymous
Glad you are enjoying it. If you don't mind my asking, what DLCs did you get? Lasting until 1069 means something rather different, depending if you started in 1066 or 867.

(If you want to try out some DLCs before buying, you can always play a multiplayer game with a host that has the DLCs, hint hint. (At least, that's how it appears to work, going by what I've read on forums.))
-----
I should have everything but the most recent, so I started in 1066.
I wouldn't mind a multiplayer game, although I wouldn't expect too much of a challenge from me at this point.

Edit:  And because I'm a little slow tonight, I think I have all of the DLC except for the most recent one.
-- 
I'm just very selective about what I accept as reality - Calvin
Challenge?  The second challenge is reaching the other guy.  The first challenge is finding the time to run a full game.  After those, skill is a distant third.
I would also be interested in MP, and I have all the DLC.

I've been writing a bit.
There is that.
-- 
Contemporary British food is of course ten pints of lager followed by
a mutton vindaloo.
    -- Peter Corlett
There's a patch coming out this Wednesday, fixing some bugs and oversights (and possibly balance issues) introduced in the latest DLC, so we should probably wait until after that. Once that hits, though, we should probably start a thread over in The Legendary.

And there is absolutely no way to run a full game of CK2 in a single sitting, if you want to play all the way to 1453, especially if we start at 867.
-----
Paradox isn't called the Master of the Grand Strategy Game for no reason, you will be spending days if you want to run a full campaign.
Quote:Jorlem wrote:
There's a patch coming out this Wednesday
Week later, and no patch.  Steam says the last one was 5/28, and I can't find anything talking about an upcoming update.  Source, please?
(Yes, I am that eager to get this going. ^^)

I've been writing a bit.
Quote:Bluemage wrote:
There's a patch coming out this Wednesday
Week later, and no patch.  Steam says the last one was 5/28, and I can't find anything talking about an upcoming update.  Source, please?
(Yes, I am that eager to get this going. ^^)
Smile
The patch that came out last Wednesday was actually a beta patch, so to see it, you need to go onto game properties on Steam, and opt into the beta patch under the beta tab.  The beta patch notes can be found here.
The official patch should be coming out today, or tomorrow
Incidentally, I'm going to be traveling tomorrow, so odds are I won't be able to start tomorrow, most likely. (Also, I need to figure out exactly how to set up a multiplayer game...)
-----
Ah, I see.  I did actually see the existence of the beta patch- on that very forum, in fact- only to think to myself "This is just a beta patch- surely Jorlem meant something a little more substantial."  Also, I didn't bother digging through the 300+ pages of the main patch thread.  Not *quite* that desperate. ^^
I work full-time, so I don't really have Paradox-level free time on weekdays.  Your trip is safe. Tongue(I was always thinking of this as a Sat/Sun sort of thing, myself.  Game like this isn't well served by half-hours or hours; it wants several hours at a time.)

I've been writing a bit.
Quote:Bluemage wrote:
Ah, I see.  I did actually see the existence of the beta patch- on that very forum, in fact- only to think to myself "This is just a beta patch- surely Jorlem meant something a little more substantial."  Also, I didn't bother digging through the 300+ pages of the main patch thread.  Not *quite* that desperate. ^^
I work full-time, so I don't really have Paradox-level free time on weekdays.  Your trip is safe. Tongue(I was always thinking of this as a Sat/Sun sort of thing, myself.  Game like this isn't well served by half-hours or hours; it wants several hours at a time.)
Only a beta patch?  Paradox beta patches can be just as big as 'full' patches, as the beta patch notes show:
Quote:MAJOR:
- Added a "Retract Vassal" interaction
- Disallowed destruction of non-titular titles under Gavelkind

INTERFACE:
- Added lots of portrait fixes from the "CK2 Portrait Fixes" mod by zebez
- Adjusted the random CoA colors and color choices
- Scripted a lot of CoAs for various dynasties
- The CoAs of titles named after a dynasty now match the dynasty CoA
- Bishops no longer wear pope hats, but the pope does
- Livonia now has the correct pagan flag
- Buildings requiring a coastal province now show up in the tech tooltip even if the capital is not coastal
- Fixed some tooltips in the settlement view not showing building levels with the name
- Nicknames are now shown for heads of religion
- The 'Grant Independence' action is no longer even shown if the recipient is not your vassal
- The 'Prepare Invasion' action is now shown but grayed out if you are at war with the recipient
- Added missing Bektashi religion description
- Endgame screen now shows correct score for characters
- Added missing name of the Reformed Aztec Church title
- Tweaked the religion colors to make them more distinct
- Corrected some event text typos

GAMEPLAY:
- Norse Pagans can no longer employ the coastal conquest CB against
other pagans (neighboring counties can still be taken though)
- The Subjugation CB can now only be used once per lifetime instead of
every 10 years. (Unless you have the 'Become King' ambition.)
- Characters with the "Become King" ambition and access to the
subjugation CB can no longer move their capital out of the de jure
kingdom
- Subjugated rulers of another religion now get a smaller opinion bonus vs the winner, lasting for a shorter time
- Fixed a bug with many vassalizing casus bellis where the target's own counties would be seized when they should not be
- Tengri Pagans are now limited to Agnatic succession
- The Jomsvikings now reform if the Norse reformation takes place
- Fixed an issue where the primary heir under Gavelkind would not inherit the capital county
- West African pagans can now also raid
- Lowered the spawn rate of TOG rebels by 20%
- Added the "Ghanan Band" mercenary company
- Slavic, Baltic and Finnish Pagans now get a bonus to their levy sizes, at the cost of their garrison bonus
- Fixed a problem with the decadence invasion event
- Fixed a bug with decadence revolts ending strangely on the attacking ruler's death
- Court Chaplain job events no longer restricted to men for pagans
- Made the Chancellor job to improve relations more effective
- Mercenary ships will no longer spawn in major rivers
- The Viking trait can now only be gained by adults
- Heirs returning from the Varangian Guard to take the throne of their dead father can no longer get the same event twice
- Piast the Wheelwright and his son are now of the Piast dynasty
- Pagan festivals can now only be held in summer as intended
- City Shipyards now produce slightly more galleys than their Castle and Temple counterparts
- Fixed a bug where banishing landed vassals would not take all their titles
- Under Gavelkind, your oldest son will no longer ask for titles
- Added additional names and dynasties for Roman characters created in the Ruler Designer
- Added an earlier king of Ireland to make Irish liberation revolts possible
- 867: Strengthened the coastal Baltic, Slavic and Finnish tribes with better Holdings
- 867: Slightly strengthened the initial forces of Ivar and Halfdan
- 867: The Karling kingdoms are now on Agnatic succession
- 867: Moved Uglich from the Meryas to the Vyatichi
- 867: Byzantium is now properly on Primogeniture, not Gavelkind
- 867: The Duchy of Meath now exists, called "Tara" by the Irish
- 867: Made some important vassals to the King of Italy Italian culture
to prolong the survival of the culture and ensure more internal troubles
- 867: Adjusted the initial political and dynastic setup among the Baltic tribes to make them more resilient
- The vassal opinion for free investiture law now correctly only applies for Catholics
- Build cost and time is now affected by your capital tech, not the average tech in your realm
- Ignoring pagan defensive attrition is now controlled by your capital tech, not by the average tech in your realm
- Own fort level no longer affects ability to navigate major rivers
- Tweaked the AI bonuses on Hard and Very Hard difficulty settings
- Successful non-claimant adventurers are now known as "the Conqueror"
- Fixed a bug with weird dynasty names for the commanders of Liberation rebels
- Castrating or blinding a prisoner now removes the righteous imprisonment cause when they are released
- The ambition to gain a council position now only increases a skill the first time it is successful
- The generic Pagan religion now has a description and holy sites
- Added the Hellenic religion
- The events when certain cities are sacked now properly trigger for the Mongol Empire
- The event when you raise a runestone as a zealous Reformed Norse character no longer treats you as a Christian
- Captured Rebel leaders now have a "Broken Spirit" modifier, making them pretty useless
- Fixed a bug where Gavelkind could produce republics
- Fixed a general bug with multiple kingdom inheritance that could produce republics
- The decision to create the Kingdom of Leon now makes it a de jure part of the Empire of Hispania
- Trade posts are no longer counted towards the Prepared Invasion realm size limits
- Fixed a bug with being able to semi-grant invalid duchies and kingdoms to your heir under Gavelkind
- Heathen priests can now inherit titles
- Mayors and heathen priests will now marry if they are heirs to other titles
- Lack of Piety rumor event now only triggers for Christian lieges as intended
- Trade post garrisons now give less retinue cap increase
- Moved the counties of Loon and Julich from de jure Cologne to Luxemburg
- Technology points are now gained by own demesne when containing buildings that give technology points

AI:
- Will not convert to Norman culture if in a huge Norse empire
- Higher prio on building temple towns
- Adjusted propensity to backstab brothers of the faith who are primary parties in holy wars
- Behaviour is now affected subtly by the difficulty settings
- Tweaked max field army sizes a bit
- Will not agree to concubinage for title claimants

MODDING:
- Exported BASE_REVOLT_CHANCE_MOD and TOG_REVOLT_CHANCE_MOD to defines
- Added a 'can_appear' field to dynasties to prevent for example the Seljuks from appearing before their event
Edit:And yeah, weekends would probably be best.
-----
Only a beta patch?  Paradox beta patches can be just as big as 'full' patches, as the beta patch notes show:
It's not about how big it is.  It's about performance.
CK2 is the one Paradox game to date that doesn't have a reputation for crashing to desktop, glitching up, and just generally being a pile of bugs.  The company has a reputation, which I believe CK2 was designed to start turning around.  If they hadn't pushed the patch out as release yet, it suggests that they didn't know for certain that it lives up to their new standards, and that didn't seem like a wise thing to use for a long-term multiplayer campaign.
...of course, that's less than relevant now, since it became an official patch today. ^^

I've been writing a bit.
So, do you want to try to get started tonight, or at least start planning what we'll do in game? (I'm going to busy for a decent amount of tomorrow, due to Father's Day) Also, I think we're reaching the point when we should start considering heading over to the Legendary.
-----
/hightails it to the Legendary
Anybody else who wants to join in is welcome, by the way.
EDIT:
Quote:- Moved the counties of Loon and Julich from de jure Cologne to Luxemburg
When did he get a county?

I've been writing a bit.