Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: New Who Is Who Then?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The BBC's set to announce the 12th Doctor on Sunday.  I have nothing more to say, really, other than I'm intrigued by some of the front runners in the British press -- I heard about Idris Elba (Pacific Rim, Thor) being in the top three just today.  Billie Piper is apparently still trending in the top ten according to oddsmakers, and I think that would be pretty cool.  Personally I favor Patrick Stewart, but what do I know? 
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I figured that John Hurt, who they introduced in "The Name of the Doctor" with big onscreen text "Introducing JOHN HURT As THE DOCTOR" was going to be #12, but that's just me. Maybe that's too obvious.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

khagler

Here's a BBC post with some speculation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23537948

Of the people on that page, I think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be best--although having Rose Tyler as the Doctor would certainly get points for strangeness.

I've noticed that they've been going with younger and younger actors, and if they continue that trend it would rule out either Patrick Stewart or John Hurt (I think Anthony Head would also be a good choice).
Incidentally, given the way John Hurt was introduced, I sort of thought he will turn out to be the Valeyard...

dark seraph

Quote:khagler wrote:
Incidentally, given the way John Hurt was introduced, I sort of thought he will turn out to be the Valeyard...
I actually heard a good explanation as to how 11 could know if it was the Valeyard.
10 is there and as we saw in the short cross over they did with 10 and 5, 10 fixed a problem because he remembered the details from when 5 saw him fix it.

So if 10 see's the Valeyard, then 11 would definitely know him.

And the word is out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23570354]Peter Capaldi, whom I've never heard of, and whom I've never seen in anything.

Then again, that was true of practically all the other Doctors, so I'm not exactly bothered or anything by it.
ETA:  On the subject of former Doctors...  Peg's been watching a series called The Monarch of the Glen on Netflix for the last week or two (and watching, and watching, and watching...)  I stumbled across one episode where the main character's elderly ne'er-do-well uncle shows up -- tall fellow, rather portly, close-cropped white hair not quite short enough to be called a crewcut.  And a rather prominent nose.  Looked faintly familiar, but a lot of actors in that show are familiar -- one of the early leads was the guy who played Hero's father in Kenneth Branaugh's version of Much Ado About Nothing, and the very episode with this uncle in it also had Anthony Stewart Head.  So lots of faces I recognized.
Imagine my surprise when I read the credits and discovered that this vaguely familiar old man was Tom Baker.  I had Peg rewind and studied him until I could say, "oh my god, it is him..."  At which point I reminded myself I was 51 now, and not the 18-year-old whose first exposure to Doctor Who was the Fourth Doctor...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:And the word is out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23570354]Peter Capaldi, whom I've never heard of, and whom I've never seen in anything.

Then again, that was true of practically all the other Doctors, so I'm not exactly bothered or anything by it.
Well, yes - it's "Doctor Who", not "Doctor oh-yeah-him"...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
He's got an interesting look, especially if he's going to become the Valeyard.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.