Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Day of the Doctor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
//www.youtube.com/v/7hRy2N2CMhQ?hl=en_US&version=3
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Hey - that said "50 year trailer", but it was only 1 minute...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
<rimshot>
-- Bob
---------
Huffington Post: Tom Baker to Appear in 'Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary Special
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Cool.

Peggy and I have tickets to a theatrical presentation -- in 3D yet -- for Monday night.
-- Bob
---------
Saw it on tv, going to see it at the cinema soon. To borrow a phrase from Nine... FANTASTIC.
Best enjoyed from the traditional position.... behind the sofa.
It is indeed FANTASTIC! And oh sorry missed the tv broadcast of it - was asleep- caught the 3D theatrical presentation in a cinema instead: AUD$26 for a ticket meh y'not. There's sequences that work best in a 3D format and didn't see many 3D FX post glitches aside from an early bit of blurriness. Still, the preshow warmup features Strax doing the typical theatre warnings - Sontaran style - followed by the Doctor's doing a panto routine for the 3D glasses prep.

I don't know why I'm thinking someone's synced with the EPU creative team, there was something there that felt like it was a thing they'd do.
Quote:I don't know why I'm thinking someone's synced with the EPU creative
team, there was something there that felt like it was a thing they'd do.
Yes!  Yes, exactly what I was thinking when I was watching the climax.  Which is another way of saying that I thought what I was watching was BRILLIANT.
-- ∇×V
Just this once Rose! EVERYBODY LIVES!
I'm in the theatre right now, waiting for the 8 PM 3D show. More after...
-- Bob
---------
Did anyone else see the Doctor Hooves pony trivia slide before the movie? I wasn't just imagining it, was I?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Not in our theatre. No trivia slides.

And.... wow. Fantastic.
-- Bob
---------
I know I didn't see it. Maybe if it was at the chain showing the movie version of MLP:FiM's "A Canterlot Wedding", and no I haven't gone to see it: only one showing a day, over five days @ 10am...I've got work on then.
Did you at least get Strax and the Doctors explaining movie etiquette and the 3D glasses?
We got the trivia show with Dr. Hooves, as well as Strax & the Doctors with movie etiquette. Maybe it depended on which chain you were in?
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein
Yes, got both "prologues". "Remember, popcorn can feel pain."

Other great lines:

"...and you're just a rabbit, aren't you?"

"Timey-wimey?!"

"Who. Knows."

Argh. And I can't remember the others I wanted to post obscurely.

BTW, does anyone know if the Paul McGann Fox movie is available anywhere? I recorded it to VHS when it broadcast in 1996, but we're not quite set up to play videotapes any more...
-- Bob
---------

Ransan

The first thing out of my mouth after seeing this on Saturday was "Stephan Moffat you Magnificent Bastard! " After two more watchings the same day, I became convinced this is the new Gold Standard for Doctor Who. The Bar has been raised.

Coming out of Point Cinema last night after seeing the Real3D version I even moreso agree with this.

Point had started with one theater one showing...quickly added a second, then had to add a second and third theater...ALL were sold out.

The lines to get in the theater was like waiting for a Ride at Six Flags. We did get the trivia beforehand (which I got full marks on), the Strax intro (which I thought was a riot), and the Tennant and Smith 3-D intro.

All in all I hope the BBC looks at the popularity of this event and starts to consider a full theatrical movie.
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

BTW, does anyone know if the Paul McGann Fox movie is available anywhere? I recorded it to VHS when it broadcast in 1996, but we're not quite set up to play videotapes any more...
Found it on amazon:
Doctor Who
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Duh. I should have looked first before asking. Thank you!
-- Bob
---------
Just a quick note, if I'd known about the local Dr Who pop-up store I could've attended the screening wearing a copy of 10's trenchcoat or Captain Jack's RAF greatcoat. The greatcoat looked better on me, so I may wear it to something else Whovian - weather depending.