Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: NASA developing warp drive?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First a disclaimer: my sister's friend sent this to her, so I don't know what level of trustworthiness the website has, or even how long ago this news came out.  But I thought it was too cool not to share anyway.
http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will-bu ... warp-drive
I realize there's about a metric ton of hurdles to get over before warp drive can be even in the same solar system with feasible, but just the idea that it is possible with real science rather than magic science is awesome.
Didn't someone post about this very thing a few months ago here?
Yes, someone did, and it wasn't even the first time someone brought up the Alcubierre Drive, either, IIRC.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Ah, I must have missed it or forgotten about it, sorry for the repost. I tried a search of the boards on "Warp drive" but, as you might expect, got lots of hits from Fenspace and Other People's Fanfiction and didn't see anything relevant.
Don't worry about it. Fun stuff is fun stuff.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Not warp drive, but NASA neato, and not vaporware:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-576 ... -valkyrie/

"We really wanted to design the appearance of this robot to be one that when you saw it (you'd say) 'Wow. That's awesome,'" Nicolaus Radford of the NASA JSC Dextrous Robotics Lab says
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I saw those lifting straps attached to the shoulders, and my first thought was of the various narrow fins the Japanese put on Gundams and the like.  I wondered, Wait, you mean there's a genuine reason to have those things, or is NASA just doing a shout-out?  When I realized what they were, it was almost a let-down.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Yeah, me too- I figured they were "whiskers" to avoid bumping the head on low-hanging things, but then realized it was just the test rig safety straps.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows