Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Holiday Loot Thread, 2013 Edition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let me first start off by wishing everybody a very merry (if belated) Christmas, even if it's not your holiday of choice.  Everybody could use another good day, right?
However, since the 25th has now passed, it's time to look back on the cool stuff we got, and be thankful.
My family kept things short and sweet this year.  I got an extended battery for my 3DS XL (three times the charge!), the new Zelda game for it, RWBY Vol. 1 on Blu-Ray, and the usual money.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Tabletop mini-fooseball set. Deoderant.
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

CrimsonKMR

Money, HG Gundam Build Strike Full Package model kit, a collapsible lightbox, a grumpy cat plushie, some games on steam, a gift card for gas...

I think thats it
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed
Lessee I got LFD2, and tons and tons of Bluescreens.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Mostly enough money and gift cards to stock up on books and DVDs of movies. Finally got around to seeing The Amazing Spider-Man, which I had utterly missed due to (at the time) dis-interest. But it's actually a very good film!

Got the novelizations that have so far been released of the Girl Genius story by Phil and Kaja Foglio. And a Valdemar novel I had somehow missed. 

In addition to Spider-Man, got DVDs of Pacific Rim and Man of Steel  -  and a Blu-Ray copy of Pacific Rim that I can't wait to give to a friend for a late Christmas gift since they missed the movie. He's a Kaiju and Giant Robot fan, and he was just in dire straights financially and couldn't go see it. I want to see his reaction! ^_^
A few good books on naval history (a very nice illustrated overview, a book on the Ironclads era, and a specific book on the Battle of Hampton Roads), a hand blender, some very nice stoneware, cash...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Let's see... a copy of "Zombicide Season 2: Prison Outbreak", a new sweater, a basket of foodie goodies, an Irish wool scarf in Princeton colors, a promissory note for several books and CDs, some exotic teas, a couple of items for our newly-remodeled bathroom, my choice of any two from a short list of fruit trees/bushes guaranteed to be hardy in our zone (I'm definitely going to pick the banana plant; haven't decided on the second yet), and something I thought was really cool -- a pair of grilling planks made by sawing right through a sugar maple tree on the diagonal, with bark and all still on them.

Update:  My brother- and sister-in-law gave me some gourmet balsamic vinegars and olive oil.  And that should be everything now.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I ended up getting not one but two (second-hand) laptops - it was originally going to be just the older of the two (an HP from 06-07) but it has no sound and reports a hardware failure on attempting to reinstall the driver, so my mother decided to give me the 2010 one she got from my nephew when he upgraded, so I'd have one that was fully functional, and get herself a new one with the latest bells and whistles. Rather awesome, my mum. Aside from that, got an SD card the triples the onboard storage capacity of my Chromebook (which as the bottom tier model, chokes and sputters along after jailbreaking it to use a full Ubuntu desktop rather than Google Spyware Suite, let alone when trying to use GIMP or Blender, and has no optical drive either, hence even an old full laptop as an upgrade) some art supplies, a "sports car" mouse

http://cdn.tripwiremagazine.com/wp-cont ... _mouse.jpg

to match the metal flake red finish on the older laptop, and various books/posters/gadgets/"gosh presents." Oh, and pesto! I'm not sure why, but three different people gave me a jar of pesto for some reason. It is something I like a lot, but kind of an odd coincidence.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Our lovely and talented son is spending a few days with my parents.
Rev Dark Wrote:Our lovely and talented son is spending a few days with my parents.
Is that your gift to your parents, or their gift to the two of you?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Let me see, I got Hanabi and Takenoko (Japanese themed games by a European creator), Love Letter (European-themed game by a Japanese creator), and the newest Ticket to Ride (Nederland) to expand the board game collection. So far, all of them seem pretty great.

The surprise gifts were a set of brake pads (just what my car wanted!), a boxed set of Tintin (surprisingly even heavier than the brake pads), and a pretty sizable Christmas bonus from my employer, even though I've only been working there five months.
-- ∇×V
So, 15 decks of cards (I collect them), Red Shirts and The Human Division by John Scalzi, signed to me, gift card to a hobby store in town (scale models), book Star Trek: The Vault, a fresh copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia, and a combination of Xmas bonus and one gift card got me a new 7" tablet to replace some rather antique portable hardware I own.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Bruce Timm's Naughty & Nice artbook, cash & chocolate. I'm difficult to buy gifts for now, as most possible thing's family might get for me I've possibly all ready bought. That and my tastes aren't generally broadcasted widely amongst them.
A Nexus 10.Books, books, and more booksGame of Thrones Season 1&2Heavy Rain, Director's CutPacific RimA Roth IRA... and a week away from West Virginia, to spend with family and friends. 
EDIT: I also got membership to the Fruit of the Month Club.... Make of that what you will. 
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."