Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Great Northeastern Snow Storm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Northeastern USA, that is.
Here in central NJ, the snow is between 2.5 and 2.9 inches, and it's been falling since about 5 PM -- call it 6 hours.  There's been no sign of the forecast heavy winds yet.  Total accumulation predicted is 5 to 8 inches.
How's it going for everyone else in the area of effect?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I just barely got my brother to Logan Airport in Boston just before it hit in earnest. Still meant I had to drive 125 miles home in it. :-(
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Temperatures up here in Niagara are below the 0 mark Fahrenheit, which is -18 Celsius. Won't last forever; by tomorrow, it should be back closer to the freezing mark, which will make things easier for the road crews to get the ploughs and sanders out; transferring to my long-term care facility yesterday on Highway 406 between Welland and Saint Catharines wasn't a cakewalk even if I was travelling in a two-tonne ambulance.
Looks like we got 4-6 inches (10-15 cm), but it's still coming down, very lightly. The scary thing is that it's supposed to drop to -4F tonight, which is colder than I think it's ever been in NJ in my entire life.
-- Bob
---------
Morgantown's under four or five inches, but it looks to be clearing off. We just got the edge of what you guys are getting. Stay safe everyone.
On an added note, I think that I would prefer going back to trying to mow the lawn in 100 degree summers, down in Texas. This shoveling snow thing is for the birds.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Currently (09:45EST) -17°F in Ottawa - we don't expect to get to 0°F until around midnight. And the forecast says it'll drop below 0°F again Monday night (roughly when it should stop snowing). I've got the furnace on full blast plus a spot electric heater going to get the temperature above 68°F inside. The city's declared a frostbite warning. The homeless shelters are at capacity.

Around here, 0°C / 32°F is a memory, or a dream for the future... but that's January and February in Ottawa for you.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I don't know wether to envy you people or be happy that we don't have it that bad in Europe.

Seriously, I think we had temperatures drop below freezing at night for a bit in late November and ever since then the weather has basically been 'winter? What do you mean winter? It's autumn!' And the good side of autumn too, with the occasional shower and temperatures hovering around 10°C during the day.
Envy us - many of the invasive species of insects are dying out because of the cold snap.
--
Rob Kelk

Rochester NY got a few inches, and midday temps in the single digits F.

And I had to drive, not to work, but to the dentist's office, through the worst of it this morning.

Had considered going to the post office to mail off a few things last night, but I was just F**K NO at the thought of getting out of my car anywhere but my nice sheltered garage.

Thank GODS I have a garage now.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I put a tarp over my car last night, since my garage has just a bit too much junk left over from the bathroom remodel to let me fit it in there right now. It did a good enough job.

I spent my lunch hour digging out -- the snow was nicely light and fluffy, which means my snowblower ate it like candy. I think that was the fastest I've ever cleared my driveway and sidewalk...
-- Bob
---------
At least I got dug out on a day off from work. -23° F right now. Brrrr.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Hmm, technically if the temperature was what it should be (35-41°C) I'd be wishing for some of what you're getting, but it's currently 19°C with a forecast of many days of 20-30°C.
Well, it didn't get quite as cold as forecast last night, but we still hit 0° F, which was record-breaking anyway. It's 13° out now, with a high of only 29° forecast.
-- Bob
---------

CrimsonKMR

Got a bunch of snow. Was cold. Still had to go to work and picked up some OT....

Nothing really different for me for a big storm XD
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed
robkelk Wrote:Currently (09:45EST) -17°F in Ottawa - we don't expect to get to 0°F until around midnight. And the forecast says it'll drop below 0°F again Monday night (roughly when it should stop snowing). I've got the furnace on full blast plus a spot electric heater going to get the temperature above 68°F inside. The city's declared a frostbite warning. The homeless shelters are at capacity.

Around here, 0°C / 32°F is a memory, or a dream for the future... but that's January and February in Ottawa for you.
Ignore that last sentence. It's currently -4°C and raining, and the temperature is going up overnight to +2°C. It'll drop to +1°C tomorrow, then plunge to -24°C tomorrow night.

I am so glad that (a) I already have (most of) a big bin of ice melter, and (b) I booked this week off as well as last week. I do not envy everyone else in town going back to work tomorrow and driving home on frozen roads.
--
Rob Kelk

Similarly, it's 55°F here right now, with a high a few degrees more forecast, followed by a squall line this afternoon that will drop the temperature 10-20°F in a couple hours. And the temperature will keep going down after the rain stops, with a low of 0°F some time tonight.

Jesus.
-- Bob
---------
Meanwhile, in the land of Spuds. It's warm, wet and a wee bit blowey out.
Into terror!,  Into valour!
Charge ahead! No! Never turn
Yes, it's into the fire we fly
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

BYapes

Below 8 F right now in (really) snowy Erie, PA, and we're expecting highs of 8 tomorrow. As one would expect, everything is closed.
 Meanwhile, most of my family are-after various forms of comedy* involving airline scheduling-on their way to Hawaii...with me at home to watch both my dogs and cats, and my sister's dogs.
(*said comedy involving a cancelled flight and a lot of time spent on the airlines 1-800 number.) 
 Brian Y.
Brian Y.
Seed Chronicles
[Image: Hothstore_zpsf9a5fab4.jpg]
Once again, southern Ontario is getting a massive blast of Arctic air; temperatures in Niagara are going to hover around the 0 mark Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius) again. Last night, when I went on a dinner excursion arranged by the hospital to get away for a bit, the wind was up and it was COLD! But like last week, this week's weather prediction states that we'll be back above the freezing mark by the end of this week.

We've had some mild winters here in Niagara over the last few years, so I suppose we were due for a bad one, but DAMN . . .
s/southern Ontario/eastern Ontario/
s/Niagara/Ottawa/
What Pyeknu said.
--
Rob Kelk

Here in MI, I've got a current temp of -12 F, with a projected high today of 1. Whee...
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7