Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Bill Nye to debate a creationist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Article here.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Bill is going to slaughter him. Smile
I'm not sure. Trying to logically attack creationist arguments is a bit like trying to nail fog to a wall, or play football when they use JATO rockets as goalposts.
It's a pointless debate. One participant is concerned with answering the question "How was the universe created?" while the other is concerned with answering the question "Who created the universe?" If they can't even agree on a topic to debate, why bother having a debate at all?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:robkelk wrote:
It's a pointless debate. One participant is concerned with answering the question "How was the universe created?" while the other is concerned with answering the question "Who created the universe?" If they can't even agree on a topic to debate, why bother having a debate at all?
Exactly. What's worse is that Nye has agreed to debate Ham at the Creationist Museum in Kentucky. Which means that anyone willing to attend will be paying a $25 attendance admission fee to the museum, which is owned by Ham. And is losing money. A shot in the arm financially for his museum, and a buttload of free publicity (even if you didn't watch "Bill Nye the Science Guy" as a kid, Nye was on a nationally aired, extremely popular television show this year, and a lot of people watch "Dancing With the Stars").
It should be noted that Nye, I believe, has not confirmed that he will, in fact, be debating Ham. I hope he hasn't/doesn't. A good discussion of this can be found on Joe Hanson's tumblr, It's Okay To Be Smart (embedded links seem to be acting up. Here's a URL: http://tmblr.co/ZboZKy13IQ_u9).    
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
And if he doesn't, Ham can and probably will claim he pulled out.
I am thinking that this is going to go badly, for both sides. That's all.
Agreed.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I rather expect no one will change their views following this spectacle, and both sides will have claimed victory. Anyone going to a Creationist Museum to support it's founder, I think, can be safely said to dismiss any notion of evolution out of hand. And anyone with enough of an appreciation for science to understand Bill's point of view already knows creation is a fairy tale.

The only winning move is not to play.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Quote:Ankhani wrote:
The only winning move is not to play.
HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?
I like Bill Nye and all, but these guys are not Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan. Now a performance like that, I'd pay $25 to see.
-- ∇×V
My problem with it is that now the creationists get to say "See? We're serious science! They're taking us seriously!"
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
My problem with it is that now the creationists get to say "See? We're serious science! They're taking us seriously!"
Pretty much. Unless Nye refused and released a scathing statement along the lines of what was said in the blog I linked to earlier, the only people who come out of this with any sort of benefit are Ham and his supporters. And even if Nye refuses to talk to the guy, it's still publicity for Ham's cause.  
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Nye might be able to salvage something by appearing as "The Science Guy" - who is known to be someone who teaches children. However, that would make an implied statement about what he feels the intellectual level of his opposition is.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Thesilentjackofalltrade

well, you have to remember the IQ of a lot of the hard line creationist isn't that high traditionally...
As painful as it is to say he is not stupid.
He is smart; just unethical, intellectually dishonest and an arsehat of such staggering depth that he can brush his teeth with his own appendix..  He has identified a niche of the population and created a system to enrich himself by telling them what they want to hear.  A scam artist and a charlatan who does not believe what he spouts, but continues to vomit it out in a steady, frothy, carrot-chunky stream, as he know that every time he does so, dollars are placed in his greasy weasel palm.
Creationists love debate and hate peer review - challenge him to submit a Creation Science science paper to Nature and see the bastard dance.

BronzeSpider

If anyone's interested, the debate happened and is up on Youtube.  Small warning in case anyone doesn't want to give Ken Ham traffic; the video is on his group's Youtube account.
[url]