Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Ooh, cool!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I only noticed it now, but with the XFCE4 desktop environment, if you sideways-scroll with the pointer over a window's title bar you can adjust the alpha from about 10% (where it looks like a watermark on the desktop background or other open windows) to full opacity. Not quite a boss button and doesn't do anything about word filters if something isn't work safe, but enough to make reading over your shoulder a pain or look at reference material through what you're currently working on.

Okay, yeah, so I'm easily amused. I spent 10-15min making MacOSX's windows "dance" when I discovered the shortcut keys to have them clear the desktop, tile, form a non-overlapping grid, and return to user's original positions, too.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Yeah, ever since Ubuntu has started to push out into more user friendly and SHINY! territory, other distros have begun to follow suit.
XFCE4's awesome because it doesn't let the shiny get in the way of actually getting things done. And the shiny it did have was actually useful - it was a neat little window compositing system.

I ran it quite happily for a long time, out of the box, on an IBM X20 with a 600mhz Pentium III with 128Mb of RAM, and not much else. (Oh, and a floppy drive)

Funnily enough I HAD to upgrade my computer's HD because they didn't have any of the old spec HDDs around, and getting an upgrade of about 70 gig was cheaper than properly replacing it.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll