Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: How to lose 80k in less than a minute
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/26/3 ... costs.html
Another reason not to have a social media account.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
"High priced education can't fix stupid."
Yup. That about covers it.
I thought it was -
Ron White: "You can't cure stupid."
Look at it this way:

You have a teenaged girl with a facebook account

Like giving a Desert Eagle to a teenaged boy.

Giving loaded weapon (or information) to someone whose judgement may not adequate.

Once you pull the trigger (or press send) there is no turning back.

Me, I blame the parents.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
And you are right too, but not because the girl posted things on facebook.
This isn't what got the suit tossed out.

What got the suit tossed out is the parents *telling their kid* when they were bound by a non-disclosure agreement. Specifically: They said they wouldn't tell /anyone/, then told their teenaged daughter.
This is called 'breaking the agreement'. Their daughter's action was how they got /caught/, not what they did wrong.
Enh, what she did was more impulsive than stupid. This wouldn't even be a blip if it hadn't cost someone 80k. I've seen and heard of professional adults doing far more idiotic things on facebook than what amounts to little more than ill-timed vindictive gloating.
As said, s3yang, it's not the kid's impulsive brag about it that's the point.

It's that the parents signed a form saying they wouldn't tell ANYONE about it, then immediately turned around and told the kid.

They had already forfeited it, all the kid did was get them caught.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:s3yang wrote:
Enh, what she did was more impulsive than stupid. This wouldn't even be a blip if it hadn't cost someone 80k. I've seen and heard of professional adults doing far more idiotic things on facebook than what amounts to little more than ill-timed vindictive gloating.
Like this guy?
This still cracks me up. The guy had to failing by the numbers. Did he ever pause before #3 and think "What are the consequences of this action?" Wonder what job he's holding now?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
As said, s3yang, it's not the kid's impulsive brag about it that's the point.

It's that the parents signed a form saying they wouldn't tell ANYONE about it, then immediately turned around and told the kid.

They had already forfeited it, all the kid did was get them caught.
I'm not really going to fault them for that either. Considering the daughter was involved herself and they're family. I mean, I suppose he could have said to his daughter, "I'm sorry, I can't tell you anything", but that seems kinda cold. He probably should just have appended 'you can't tell anyone'. Sure the family didn't handle it the best way, but I'm not seeing anything egregiously stupid or irresponsible - just simple and easy to make human mistakes. Honestly, the situation makes me want to sympathize with the family, not point at them and go 'that's what you get'. That's what you get for what? Trusting your daughter? Gloating a little bit at the institution that discriminated against yourself and your father? Meh.
There's been a recent rash of stereotypical 'stupid teenager' and 'irresponsible parent' reactions - like the drunk girl and the family that claimed her twitter account was hacked. And while this article seems to sort of follow that general narrative, it only does so only at first glance. Pointing at it and going 'can't cure stupid' or something similar is pure schadenfreude.
Well as some would say, what an idiotic non-disclosure statement for I'm certain the IRS would be very interested in how they suddenly acquired $80k - any taxation department would be. It just takes one of their Auditors not accepting NDA as a valid reason and they'd no doubt start a TLA investigation storm, just in case the money came from an illegal source.