Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: My little dog Bitsy just died.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
of kidney failure. I did get to hold her until she stopped breathing, though, like I did while Mum tied off the umbilical cord and delivered the other puppies.

I haz a sad.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I'm very sorry. 
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
You were there at the beginning, you were there at the end. What more could a dog ask for?
Mm, that's what I told the vet who confirmed she was dead - we were going to have her euthanized since there's no way they could give her more than a week or two even with extreme measures, but she just laid in my arms with her ear against my chest over my heart for a while, then started breathing more harshly for a minute or two, until she stopped entirely, twitched a bit and rolled her eyes. I stroked her and told her to lie still, it was time to go to sleep... and she did.

The attendant came in to ask if we were ready to have them come in and do it under a minute later, then got the doc when I said she just stopped breathing - the timing of everything ended up being very "narrative causality."
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
My sympathies, Drogn.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:Logan Darklighter wrote:
You were there at the beginning, you were there at the end. What more could a dog ask for?
What more would a dog ask for, anyway.  "He hath had none other God than Thee since the year that he was born."  -- Kipling, "His Apologies"
Excuse me, I've got to go sniffle for a while.  
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

We buried her today, my father and I - not exceptionally deep, but enough that combined with the huge flat stone laid over the top there shouldn't be any critters of field and forest digging her up for a snack. I also set a smaller flat stone vertically, with a squarish one to prop it up from the back. It's right at the roots of a grape vine that grows up the side of the garage, so I suppose they'll grow a Little Bit more grapes.
--
Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
It's right at the roots of a grape vine that grows up the side of the garage, so I suppose they'll grow a Little Bit more grapes.
That pun was horrible.  Not as horrible as what happened, though.
When my last pet (an adorable ferret) died, I was inconsolable for days.  If it's anywhere as near as rough for you, you have my sympathies.
I'm just glad it was fairly quick.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
ClassicDrogn Wrote:Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

We buried her today, my father and I - not exceptionally deep, but enough that combined with the huge flat stone laid over the top there shouldn't be any critters of field and forest digging her up for a snack. I also set a smaller flat stone vertically, with a squarish one to prop it up from the back. It's right at the roots of a grape vine that grows up the side of the garage, so I suppose they'll grow a Little Bit more grapes.
Here's hoping the grapes have the same personality as Bitsy.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I'm sorry. It's never easy losing a family member.