Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Support for Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo creator)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Definitely worth passing along: 
Artists, fans rally to support cartoonist's ailing wife
Quote:...for the past three years, Sakai has been faced with the greatest challenge of his life: making sure his wife, Sharon, is as comfortable as possible as a brain tumor slowly takes away her ability to live. 
The couple’s East Pasadena home has been transformed into a care unit for Sharon, who is bedridden, blind and deaf as a result of the tumor. The dining room was emptied and now resembles a hospital room, and a nurse is on hand five days a week to provide care. 
“We prefer her at home,” said Sakai, who has lived in the same home with his wife for nearly 40 years. “We’re making the best of it.” 
Sakai’s friends had known about Sharon’s condition for years, and it didn’t take fans long to notice she no longer was attending comic conventions, such as San Diego’s Comic-Con, with her husband. 
Those friends, including members of the Comic Art Professional Society, knew Sakai wouldn’t ask for help – it wasn’t in his nature – even when Sharon’s medical bills began to exceed her health insurance coverage. So six months ago, they took it upon themselves to begin raising money on the Sakais’ behalf.
Do read the rest. Worth it.
A few years ago he attended Phoenix Comicon. If there is a person in the comics industry who defines humble I would be shocked if it wasn't Stan Sakai. He was constantly quietly working and if he wasn't quiet it was because he was praising or encouraging someone else. One of the panels I attended had him and David Peterson to discuss the use of animals in storytelling. During the panel he took the time to encourage anyone who hadn't yet tried Peterson's Mouse Guard to do so, and not just in an off-hand 'I suppose Ishould say something nice about my fellow panelist' manner but with specific reasons why he was impressed.
Later reading articles I realized this was probably about the time it was becoming clear his wife's health was failing. I was really hoping there would be good news, then as if that wasn't enough for his family to face they lost a grandson as well. And through all this he's still been working, the break from Usagi mentioned in the article was to provide time to work on a series about the 47 Ronin.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
Feeding tube removed last night
Sharon Sakai passed away this morning
Speaking from experience, knowing that a relative's suffering has finally ended does little to dull the pain and loss. The Sakai family could use our prayers at this time.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
Ah man... Sad

Seraviel

I know. I posted my latest chapter early in her honor, since I use one of Sakai's characters.

Like I said already, may whatever comes next welcome her well.
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.
I can think of only one way to really honor Mr. and Mrs. Sakai... whether or not they enjoyed Spider Robinson's work...

*Drinks a toast to Lady Sakai and smashes the glass in the fire place.*
What he said. 
*Follows suit* 

Seraviel

*does too*
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.