Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: I think I just figured out why Google Chrome doesn't appeal to me...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I mean sure, it seems nice and snappy...  But there's a reason behind it: http://www.howtogeek.com/124218/why-doe ... processes/
Yeah.  Every freakin' little thing.  Every app, every widget, every open tab - each it's own process.

This might be nice... if your machine has the horsepower for it.  On an old budget-rate laptop like mine?  The moment I start a media stream, it chugs - even if I set it to the lowest quality level.

The only reason why I'm bothering with Chrome right now is because I just started using Evernote as a means to gather all inspiration and ideas for my writing into one neat and tidy spot.  The nice part is that it not only has a desktop application for Windows and OS X, but widgets for most web browsers, and apps of iOS and Android platforms.  Which means I can use my nice new HTC Desire 510 to snaps some pics of something interesting, instantly uploading them as 'notes' with inline text, access them on my laptop at home, and further research online using their 'web snipper' tool.

Unfortunately, the web snipper for Chrome is far more refined than the one for Firefox, so this is what has pushed me to using Chrome now.  But evidently, if I ever want to watch Youtube or Crunchyroll vids, I'm gonna have to shut down Chrome and switch to Firefox.  *headesk*
Even Firefox stumbles over video on my laptop. (It's a 2007 Macbook with 2 GB of RAM.) (Doesn't help that I usually have 20+ tabs open in Firefox.)

I don't even bother, I just type in the URL over on the MiniMac I've got running plugged into my big-screen TV, which handles them much better.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Well, I try not to have so many tabs open at once. The most I'll ever do is ten, and that's pushing it for me. (Although that doesn't count the pinned tabs, so that's really more like fifteen. *Shrugs* )

Really, I think I need a new laptop. This one has been crashing under mysterious circumstances over the last few months, and without even a crash dump to tell me what the hell happened.

I mean, really hard freaking crash. Like the screen becomes completely scrambled (except, oddly, for the mouse cursor, so not a graphics issue) and everything is locked solid, including the cursor. The machine will even power off immediately when I push the power button and let go (not holding down on it for five seconds).
Ouch. Run some checks on the hard drive, you may want to start backing stuff up ASAP...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Doesn't seem like the drive, though. Usually in my experience that will generate a BSOD and a minidump because of the data coming back corrupted and messing things up. This feels more like the mainboard or the CPU is crapping out. Or hell, it may even be the RAM.
Yeah, that doesn't sound good. Seems like time for a new one.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
I... don't think that that's RAM.  I had some bad RAM, a few years back, and it just give me BSoDs.  If I had to guess, it's probably a motherboard problem, with a decent chance of being a power issue, and a small chance of CPU.  You've probably got more than a few OS problems by now, on account of the damage caused by all the crashing, so I agree; it's time for a new one.
(As far as browsers go, I use all of them.  Opera does the same thing Chrome does, opening a whole load of processes.  Also, my current Firefox session is down to four windows, over 120 tabs, and about 1.4GB.  The program itself gets unstable when you get up to 140-150 tabs (which I know from experience), so that's actually progress!)

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.
Okay, I've had it.

Today my computer hard-crashed twice after I started Chrome.

I switched back to Firefox and now my computer is behaving much better.

I don't have any delusions - I know I need a new computer. But when Chrome crashes it so catastrophically that there's no way to get a crash report or even a mini-dump out of it... there is something strange going on there with Google's software and I do not like it.
Just a quick FYI for Firefox users -- µBlock (or just uBlock) is now available for us too.  Just released last week, but I haven't had any problems using it yet.
If you're running AdBlock Plus, you should see a significant speed increase in the browser by switching to uBlock. Basically because ABP injects thousands of rules into the stylesheet for every page (and every , and you can get like 10 of those in a page), it's can easily double your page load times. uBlock uses the same rulesets as ABP, but actually manages to use less requests and memory (and slightly more CPU than the stock browser, but not even close to as much as ABP).
http://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases (download page)http://github.com/gorhill/uBlock (other stuff about it here and on the wiki link)
I also got a pretty big speed and security boost by removing Flash, but most people aren't ready to jump on that bandwagon yet.  Most of YouTube works, but other sites like Rooster Teeth, not so much.
-- ∇×V