Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Aria the Avvenire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apparently, there's going to be a special to celebrate Aria's tenth anniversary. Details are sparse at the moment (notably, no casting details are available yet).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ing/.84035
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Definitely playing too much Mass Effect lately. The topic mentions Aria, and the first thing I think of is the hardass Asari running the pirate station...
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.
Yeah. This Aria is completely not Mass Effect.
--
Rob Kelk

Hahi...?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
The Sacred Blacksmith, perhaps?

-Morgan. I'd say "now we're just messing with you"...
...but I'm pretty sure that started before.
Nope. Just Aria.

The slice of life anime about a girl who comes to (I forget if it was terraformed Venus or terraformed Mars) and becomes an Undine, which, in their culture which centers around cities that are like Venice-In-The-Future, basically means she's a gondolier. You know, the romantic taxi-boats of Venice? People that operate them are gondoliers.

And really. Very slice-of-life with a dash of coming-of-age. While it is indeed a very sweet and romantic thing, don't come into it expecting anything more hair raising than seeing someone get dunked. This is something you watch on a lazy day when all the chores are done, the weather is generally nasty outside, and you need a reminder that the world ain't such a bad place.
Black Aeronaut Wrote:Nope. Just Aria.

The slice of life anime about a girl who comes to (I forget if it was terraformed Venus or terraformed Mars) ...
Aqua is a terraformed Mars. (I wonder where all the water came from? There was a comment in one of the first-season episodes that they weren't expecting to have that much water...)
--
Rob Kelk

Turned out there was more water locked up in the polar ice caps than anyone had calculated -- either that, or they were right about how much ice there was but hadn't expected so much of it to melt.  That's based on the spaceliner's "Welcome to Aqua" spiel in the first manga chapter.  (Making this an in-story case of "Did Not Do the Research."  They can artificially upgrade an entire planet's gravity and make anti-gravity islands floating in the sky, but they can't correctly measure that planet's ice supply?)
Quote:don't come into it expecting anything more hair raising than seeing someone get dunked.
Except for the time a ghost tried to kidnap Akari....
-----
DHBirr Wrote:
Quote:don't come into it expecting anything more hair raising than seeing someone get dunked.
Except for the time a ghost tried to kidnap Akari....
Ah, yes - she's sufficiently Genre Savvy to realize what she's gotten herself into, but not sufficiently Genre Savvy to not get into it in the first place. (Where would that go in ATT?)
--
Rob Kelk

Zigzagged trope, maybe.
Y'know, a few months ago I listed an Aria / Oh My Goddess! crossover as something that Should Not Be, because that much optimism and niceness would "unbalance the cosmos."  Ever since then, though, I've been unable to get over the desire to see it actually written ... partly because pushing reality off its axis would be awesome.  One of the things that struck me was that it could happen so easily -- the Norns are, after all, linked to Time, and Akari has time-traveled in canon.  Note, if she brings along a friend or two, that when the Aria drama CD was made (as opposed to the anime), Inoue Kikuko voiced Alicia.  

Aika, at least, should come, too.  "Embarrassing remarks aren't allowed, Belldandy-sama!"
-----
Quote:robkelk wrote:
Ah, yes - she's sufficiently Genre Savvy to realize what she's gotten herself into, but not sufficiently Genre Savvy to not get into it in the first place. (Where would that go in ATT?)
"It so happens your friend here is only mostly Genre Savvy.  There's a big difference between mostly Genre Savvy and completely Genre Savvy.  Mostly Genre Savvy is slightly Genre-blind.  With completely Genre Savvy, well, with completely Genre Savvy there's usually only one thing you can do ... get out of her way as she tramples the plot into the mud."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.